DanNJ02

Received an RFIE (Request For Initial Evidence)

18 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

I received a text message notification of a Request For Initial Evidence (RFIE) while awaiting NOA2 approval. I have not yet received the letter in the mail indicating what evidence is being requested.

After searching the forums, it seems that receiving an RFIE rather than a RFE for a I129F is somewhat unusual.

Can anyone provide some insight into what they might be requesting? I had followed the instructions on visajourney and the ucsis website meticulously (or so I thought). I provided all the evidence in the format recommended on this forum.

Additionally, can anyone provide any information on what recieving this RFIE might mean for our journey through this process? Is it possible it could be resolved in a month like I've seen on many timelines? Or does the RFIE signify that the process could take longer?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Timeline
Just now, James120383 said:

unless anyone here is psychic, no one can tell what they are requesting evidence for ...no one call tell how long it will take and when it will get resolved. 

Thanks for the advice. However I didn't ask if anyone knows specifically what the letter will say. I asked if anyone had any insight given that I received an RFIE rather than an RFE.  I couldn't find any information specific to what RFIEs for K1s could be related to on the forum.

And I'm hoping that a member with relevant experience would be able to share their advice. Albeit it could very well turn out that my experience will be different from theirs, having more information certainly won't hurt.

3 minutes ago, DanNJ02 said:

Thanks for the advice. However I didn't ask if anyone knows specifically what the letter will say. I asked if anyone had any insight given that I received an RFIE rather than an RFE.  I couldn't find any information specific to what RFIEs for K1s could be related to on the forum.

And I'm hoping that a member with relevant experience would be able to share their advice. Albeit it could very well turn out that my experience will be different from theirs, having more information certainly won't hurt.

It is always RFIE but we used to short RFE, they are the same. 

N400

12/06/2014: Package filed

12/31/2014: Fingerprinted

02/06/2015: In-Line for Interview

04/15/2015: Passed Interview

05/05/2015: Oath letter was sent

05/22/2015: Oath Ceremony

50 minutes ago, DanNJ02 said:

RFIE=RFE

duh

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

It might be something as simple as forgetting to check a box on the petition form, or providing a translation.

An RFE is a golden opportunity to add additional "evidence of bona fide relationship" to your file.  Respond to the RFE.  Beneath that material, add a cover page that says, "USCIS -- please forward the following to the consulate."  Beneath that cover, add some meaningful relationship evidence that you've accumulated since you filed the petition.  This is all completely optional, but mentioned for consideration.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

We got rfe as we missed out a few information on the address..we got a letter..it was quite straightforward as to what they need... we got an approval exactly 7days  After we respond..but that was November of 2019...

RFE is not exactly the same as an RFIE. An RFIE generally refers to requiring additional information in order to complete additional processing before they can even get to adjudication. One of the most common circumstances we see for that is with an I-864 for AOS. A missing (if not outright denied) or incomplete/insufficient I-864 packet will generally get an RFIE. This information is needed before they can do an initial review of the I-485 packet.

I'm not sure what an RFIE for an I-129F would be off-hand. Typically it's strictly an RFE. It could be could be something like evidence of a name change document, criminal records, etc. Or it could just be new terminology, somebody checked the wrong box/item in a list, etc. IN the end, it all means the same here - they want something so fiund out what that is when you get the letter and respond to it. The difference in it being an RFE vs RFIE really doesn't matter.

How long it takes to resolve will depend on what they need, the IO and their backlog, etc.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Timeline
36 minutes ago, geowrian said:

RFE is not exactly the same as an RFIE. An RFIE generally refers to requiring additional information in order to complete additional processing before they can even get to adjudication. One of the most common circumstances we see for that is with an I-864 for AOS. A missing (if not outright denied) or incomplete/insufficient I-864 packet will generally get an RFIE. This information is needed before they can do an initial review of the I-485 packet.

I'm not sure what an RFIE for an I-129F would be off-hand. Typically it's strictly an RFE. It could be could be something like evidence of a name change document, criminal records, etc. Or it could just be new terminology, somebody checked the wrong box/item in a list, etc. IN the end, it all means the same here - they want something so fiund out what that is when you get the letter and respond to it. The difference in it being an RFE vs RFIE really doesn't matter.

How long it takes to resolve will depend on what they need, the IO and their backlog, etc.

This was my worry, that an RFIE could mean that they have not really begun to process my case. And that I would start from 0 instead of being at 5 months. Can anyone comment on this?

Would it be worth it to call and ask if I am receiving an RFE or RFIE?

To give some additional information, first a text message arrived saying there was an update for my case number. Then I logged into the USCIS website and the large status text said "Request For Initial Evidence Was Sent".

About 30 minutes after, an email arrived that said at the top "Your Case Status: Request for Evidence".

I'm not sure what to make of this.

Edit: below is the complete text of the email.

Your Case Status: Request for Evidence  On July 21, 2020, we sent a request for initial evidence for your Form I129F, PETITION FOR ALIEN FIANCÉ(E), Receipt Number XXXXXXXXX. The request for evidence explains what we need from you. We will not take action on your case until we receive the evidence or the deadline to submit it expires. Please follow the instructions in the request for evidence. If you do not receive your request for evidence by August 5, 2020, please go to www.uscis.gov/e-request to request a copy of the notice. If you move, go to www.uscis.gov/addresschange to give us your new mailing address.  A request for evidence is made when an application/petition is lacking required documentation/evidence (initial evidence) or the officer needs more documentation/evidence (additional evidence) to determine an applicant's eligibility for the benefit sought. We may send you a request for evidence at any stage of our review. The request will indicate what evidence or information is needed for us to fully evaluate your application or petition. The notice will explain where to send the evidence and will give the deadline for your response. Your application or petition will be held in suspense during that time. If you receive a request for evidence and have questions about what you need to submit, you may call our National Customer Service Center at 1-800-375-5283

Edited by DanNJ02

6 minutes ago, DanNJ02 said:

Would it be worth it to call and ask if I am receiving an RFE or RFIE?

Not in my opinion. "The difference in it being an RFE vs RFIE really doesn't matter."

My suggestion is to focus on what is actionable. Knowing whether it's really an RFE or RFIE is not actionable. It does not change how you will need to respond, and knowing it sooner doesn't let you respond any sooner. It's putting in time and effort (to make a call) for a possible payoff (it's called the USCIS misinformation line for a reason) that doesn't actually provide any benefit.

I get that uncertainty and curiosity are sometimes a difficult itch to avoid scratching, the really the best thing to do is just wait for the letter. That will both confirm if it's actually an RFIE or RFE, along with let you know what they need.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Timeline
50 minutes ago, geowrian said:

Not in my opinion. "The difference in it being an RFE vs RFIE really doesn't matter."

My suggestion is to focus on what is actionable. Knowing whether it's really an RFE or RFIE is not actionable. It does not change how you will need to respond, and knowing it sooner doesn't let you respond any sooner. It's putting in time and effort (to make a call) for a possible payoff (it's called the USCIS misinformation line for a reason) that doesn't actually provide any benefit.

I get that uncertainty and curiosity are sometimes a difficult itch to avoid scratching, the really the best thing to do is just wait for the letter. That will both confirm if it's actually an RFIE or RFE, along with let you know what they need.

I agree that it is best to wait. My main concern is that if it is somehow an RFIE, how can I be certain of that? And how will I know if the clock will be starting from 0 rather than 5 months?

Filed: Timeline

Geowrain already explained this but it seems you are still a bit confused. Everything you posted- the cut and paste text and the image shows RFIE. 

RFE= Request for Evidence

RFIE=Request for Initial Evidence

The difference between them is RFIE is specifically and only asking for something that is needed to approve the case. Things like birth certificates, translations, for the K- proof of meeting, proof of USC, etc etc. Whatever it is it is needed (mandatory) for the case to be approved. RFE can mean any evidence- mandatory stuff and/or additional stuff. Often when its additional stuff the RFE will say request for additional evidence.

Your notification clearly shows RFIE which means they are only asking (right now) for something that is required. For both the RFE and RFIE when its issued the case goes on hold and will resume processing once the response is received and processed. Mainly people filing for AOS need to be concerned about the hold period implications because if they get RFIE for the 485 that means their EAD/AP (work and travel permits) will also be placed on hold until its resolved. If they get an RFE it wont. So theres often discussion about 'resetting the clock'. Again thats referring to the EAD clock, it wont start moving until the RFIE is handled which means they shouldnt start counting how long they have been waiting until it gets moving.  But for you and the 129f thats N/A. Your case is on hold until the RFIE is handled. Your overall 'clock' wont reset. 

Usually USCIS will only send an RFE one time. You can get RFIE and RFE later though. So theres no way to know if your case finally got looked at for the first time and a RFIE was generated and then it will go back to waiting until someone actually does the processing- and then an RFE can be issued at that point or an approval. OR if your case was presently looked at in depth right now and is ready for approval pending you send in whatever the RFIE is about. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.