90DayFinancier

White House: ‘Science Should Not Stand in the Way’ of School Openings

39 posts in this topic

Filed: O-2 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

Another day, another astonishing utterance from the Trump administration on the coronavirus

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-news/mcenany-science-should-not-stand-in-the-way-of-school-openings-1030018/

Well, at least they admit rational thought does not drive thinking at the Whitehouse

3 minutes ago, 90DayFinancier said:

Another day, another astonishing utterance from the Trump administration on the coronavirus

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-news/mcenany-science-should-not-stand-in-the-way-of-school-openings-1030018/

Well, at least they admit rational thought does not drive thinking at the Whitehouse

Biden and Warren and all you MDL screaming, listen to the experts.  I will just leave the absurdity of their comments right there.

U.S. Pediatricians Call For In-Person School This Fall

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2020/06/29/884638999/u-s-pediatricians-call-for-in-person-school-this-fall

Timeline

Well I don't know what Warren said and Biden is more elusive than the sighting of the magical white elk.

What I did hear from the pretty press lady was that science should not stand in the way of a good method to infect the whole family. 

I should be fair, Trump is the education President /s

For the left it's always been about politics, which is why they attach moronic stuff like "defund police" to back to school demands. Regardless of the gotcha politics, "science" supports children going back to school, and there's far more harm posed to them by keeping them locked up at home. This is why, as actual parents, we're ensuring our children go to school. Logic over bad faith politics.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

I am still waiting for the science behind schools staying closed.  Aren’t there already a lot of countries that are back to school even with rising number of Covid cases?  We seem to be dealing with the science of fear here.

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Belgium
Timeline
6 hours ago, Nature Boy 2.0 said:

Biden and Warren and all you MDL screaming, listen to the experts.  I will just leave the absurdity of their comments right there.

U.S. Pediatricians Call For In-Person School This Fall

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2020/06/29/884638999/u-s-pediatricians-call-for-in-person-school-this-fall

Yes, but safely

"Thousands of US pediatricians warn against reopening schools for in-person learning after Trump's push against CDC guidelines"

https://www.insider.com/pediatricians-warn-against-reopening-schools-2020-7

Edited by sl1pstream

Timeline
2 minutes ago, sl1pstream said:

Yes, but safely

"Thousands of US pediatricians warn against reopening schools for in-person learning after Trump's push against CDC guidelines"

https://www.insider.com/pediatricians-warn-against-reopening-schools-2020-7

Yes, now that Trump is behind the fact that distance learning for elementary, middle and high schools is a complete disaster, using the recommendations from the AAP, they back track like good little Leftist.  I guess the Dems don’t care about children as much as they say considering so many other countries are opening schools to help their children learn.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Belgium
Timeline
7 minutes ago, Dashinka said:

Yes, now that Trump is behind the fact that distance learning for elementary, middle and high schools is a complete disaster, using the recommendations from the AAP, they back track like good little Leftist.  I guess the Dems don’t care about children as much as they say considering so many other countries are opening schools to help their children learn.

It's pretty hilarious that when they say reopen, they're a credible source. When they clarify and say that things need to happen safely, they're "good little leftists".

Other countries actually have both lower numbers and have put safety first, plus their teachers are actually getting the protective gear they need. Meanwhile, the US has a ridiculous amount of cases, has done absolutely nothing to get this thing under control, is ignoring CDC guidelines and underfunds schools to the point where teachers already have to run gofundmes because their severely overcrowded schools can't afford classroom essentials, let alone PPE.

You can compare yourselves to places like Russia and Brazil. The rest of the world is actually trying to handle this thing, stop comparing yourselves to us.

Edited by sl1pstream

Timeline
1 hour ago, sl1pstream said:

It's pretty hilarious that when they say reopen, they're a credible source. When they clarify and say that things need to happen safely, they're "good little leftists".

Other countries actually have both lower numbers and have put safety first, plus their teachers are actually getting the protective gear they need. Meanwhile, the US has a ridiculous amount of cases, has done absolutely nothing to get this thing under control, is ignoring CDC guidelines and underfunds schools to the point where teachers already have to run gofundmes because their severely overcrowded schools can't afford classroom essentials, let alone PPE.

You can compare yourselves to places like Russia and Brazil. The rest of the world is actually trying to handle this thing, stop comparing yourselves to us.

Whoever suggested to not do things safely, not me, and certainly not the WH.  Btw, the science is showing there is little chance of spread from children.  The simple fact is this is political.  If President Trump suggested schools should stay closed, everyone would be looking for ways to open them up.  The narrative is quite clear, but I guess we should not care about children’s education since doing everything online will not work.

https://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/early/2020/07/08/peds.2020-004879

In this issue of Pediatrics, Posfay-Barbe et al6 report on the dynamics of COVID-19 within families of children with reverse-transcription polymerase chain reaction–confirmed SARS-CoV-2 infection in Geneva, Switzerland. From March 10 to April 10, 2020, all children <16 years of age diagnosed at Geneva University Hospital (N = 40) underwent contact tracing to identify infected household contacts (HHCs). Of 39 evaluable households, in only 3 (8%) was a child the suspected index case, with symptom onset preceding illness in adult HHCs. In all other households, the child developed symptoms after or concurrent with adult HHCs, suggesting that the child was not the source of infection and that children most frequently acquire COVID-19 from adults, rather than transmitting it to them.

These findings are consistent with other recently published HHC investigations in China. Of 68 children with confirmed COVID-19 admitted to Qingdao Women’s and Children’s Hospital from January 20 to February 27, 2020, and with complete epidemiological data, 65 (95.59%) patients were HHCs of previously infected adults.7 Of 10 children hospitalized outside Wuhan, China, in only 1 was there possible child to adult transmission, based on symptom chronology.8 Similarly, transmission of SARS-CoV-2 by children outside household settings seems uncommon, although information is limited. In an intriguing study from France, a 9-year-old boy with respiratory symptoms associated with picornavirus, influenza A, and SARS-CoV-2 coinfection was found to have exposed over 80 classmates at 3 schools; no secondary contacts became infected, despite numerous influenza infections within the schools, suggesting an environment conducive to respiratory virus transmission.9 In New South Wales, Australia, 9 students and 9 staff infected with SARS-CoV-2 across 15 schools had close contact with a total of 735 students and 128 staff.10Only 2 secondary infections were identified, none in adult staff; 1 student in primary school was potentially infected by a staff member, and 1 student in high school was potentially infected via exposure to 2 infected schoolmates.

On the basis of these data, SARS-CoV-2 transmission in schools may be less important in community transmission than initially feared. This would be another manner by which SARS-CoV-2 differs drastically from influenza, for which school-based transmission is well recognized as a significant driver of epidemic disease and forms the basis for most evidence regarding school closures as public health strategy.11,12Although 2 reports are far from definitive, the researchers provide early reassurance that school-based transmission could be a manageable problem, and school closures may not have to be a foregone conclusion, particularly for elementary school–aged children who appear to be at the lowest risk of infection. Additional support comes from mathematical models, which find that school closures alone may be insufficient to halt epidemic spread13 and have modest overall impacts compared with broader, community-wide physical distancing measures.14

So far in some other countries, but not all - I'm thinking of the UK here. Opening schools hasn't gone... well.. great. I can tell you that not only are the kids getting sick but the teachers are getting sick, and that is leading to deaths (at least for the adults). My little niece was put back into school, and shortly after she's been quite sick with a fever and rash. We are worried about her, especially with exposure to her parents and grandparents.

In the US, in places that have opened up camp gatherings, again children and adults are getting sick. It is without a doubt a disease that affects children, but provided the case is mild and doesn't result in some of the more worrying case symptoms, we still don't know what the lingering disease may do to the body later on. There is also not enough study or statistics to know for sure that children are not carriers because there is no doubt that there are school breakout cases in other countries.

Opening of schools is a states rights issue, and it is a decision that is best left up to the school board to decide. Many in MD have decided to go online-only until Jan-Feb and then re-evaluate. There will also be times when a school might be open for certain objectives. My husband's college will be shut for the rest of the year, and has moved entirely virtual, with select classes in-person only. For wealthier counties with better internet connectivity, I don't anticipate virtual-only as being a challenge - however for B'more city and the rural counties this will be difficult - the internet is bad, supplies are low, and attendance is poor anyway. As a person that had quite a different educational upbringing, it seems to me that homeschooling is something that conservatives and evangelicals have favored and beloved for years... in some circles going so far as looking upon the 'public' schooled with scorn and calling them 'indoctrination centers'. Now I see so many homeschooler groups complaining that a new generation of flustered but interested parents are asking for help to navigate education. Isn't this what they wanted? For parents to teach and take responsibility for their kid's education? The tiny hypocrisy is amusing sometimes. But anyway we simply don't know enough to know if children and the adult staff that teach them will actually be safe enough. There may be some parents willing to dump their kids into a school building for some great guinea pig experiment, but it doesn't look like those polled are in favor of that yet. Nationally.. or locally it seems. I think we can all agree our kids need an education, time and planning is needed to make things safe.

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

Timeline
1 minute ago, yuna628 said:

So far in some other countries, but not all - I'm thinking of the UK here. Opening schools hasn't gone... well.. great. I can tell you that not only are the kids getting sick but the teachers are getting sick, and that is leading to deaths (at least for the adults). My little niece was put back into school, and shortly after she's been quite sick with a fever and rash. We are worried about her, especially with exposure to her parents and grandparents.

In the US, in places that have opened up camp gatherings, again children and adults are getting sick. It is without a doubt a disease that affects children, but provided the case is mild and doesn't result in some of the more worrying case symptoms, we still don't know what the lingering disease may do to the body later on. There is also not enough study or statistics to know for sure that children are not carriers because there is no doubt that there are school breakout cases in other countries.

Opening of schools is a states rights issue, and it is a decision that is best left up to the school board to decide. Many in MD have decided to go online-only until Jan-Feb and then re-evaluate. There will also be times when a school might be open for certain objectives. My husband's college will be shut for the rest of the year, and has moved entirely virtual, with select classes in-person only. For wealthier counties with better internet connectivity, I don't anticipate virtual-only as being a challenge - however for B'more city and the rural counties this will be difficult - the internet is bad, supplies are low, and attendance is poor anyway. As a person that had quite a different educational upbringing, it seems to me that homeschooling is something that conservatives and evangelicals have favored and beloved for years... in some circles going so far as looking upon the 'public' schooled with scorn and calling them 'indoctrination centers'. Now I see so many homeschooler groups complaining that a new generation of flustered but interested parents are asking for help to navigate education. Isn't this what they wanted? For parents to teach and take responsibility for their kid's education? The tiny hypocrisy is amusing sometimes. But anyway we simply don't know enough to know if children and the adult staff that teach them will actually be safe enough. There may be some parents willing to dump their kids into a school building for some great guinea pig experiment, but it doesn't look like those polled are in favor of that yet. Nationally.. or locally it seems. I think we can all agree our kids need an education, time and planning is needed to make things safe.

Almost everything regarding the Covid is a state level issue yet we get the political narrative that the Feds should be solving the problem.  I agree, Trump has little power to force schools to open, even with federal funding that if cut would be forced back on by a judge somewhere.  The fact that the activist media and the Dems have made this pandemic a political event is really just sad, but what else do we expect from them.

Timeline
5 hours ago, Dashinka said:

Whoever suggested to not do things safely, not me, and certainly not the WH.  Btw, the science is showing there is little chance of spread from children.  The simple fact is this is political.  If President Trump suggested schools should stay closed, everyone would be looking for ways to open them up.  The narrative is quite clear, but I guess we should not care about children’s education since doing everything online will not work.

When the Whitehouse says "don't let the science stand in the way" they are literally saying the political and social outcomes from our perspective, outweigh what doctors and scientific data show.

The Whitehouse is politicizing the issue, mostly to try to cover-up how this has been mismanaged by the Whitehouse.

The attacks on Dr Fauci the last two weeks make this clear.

Timeline
4 minutes ago, 90DayFinancier said:

When the Whitehouse says "don't let the science stand in the way" they are literally saying the political and social outcomes from our perspective, outweigh what doctors and scientific data show.

The Whitehouse is politicizing the issue, mostly to try to cover-up how this has been mismanaged by the Whitehouse.

The attacks on Dr Fauci the last two weeks make this clear.

Yeah, the Fauci narrative, I love it.  Does he have any good tips on dating during the Covid again?  Btw, just like global climate change, not all scientists Including epidemiologists, agree on what to do here, but the simple fact is that children are falling behind, and online school does not work very well.  In the end, the states and local school districts have to make the decision, and the WH has no real power here, just like the President cannot force a nationwide shutdown, or put into effect a nationwide mask rule.  It is interesting how the LA teacher’s union listed a number of Marxist demands before they would go back to work, nothing political there.

Timeline
4 minutes ago, Dashinka said:

Yeah, the Fauci narrative, I love it.  Does he have any good tips on dating during the Covid again?  Btw, just like global climate change, not all scientists Including epidemiologists, agree on what to do here, but the simple fact is that children are falling behind, and online school does not work very well.  In the end, the states and local school districts have to make the decision, and the WH has no real power here, just like the President cannot force a nationwide shutdown, or put into effect a nationwide mask rule.  It is interesting how the LA teacher’s union listed a number of Marxist demands before they would go back to work, nothing political there.

This entire response is a layered  red herring casserole.

Here is what is not in dispute: 4% of the population (the United States of America), has 40% of the cases. 

All of this dithering about waiting for the science to be settled, or it's just like the flu, or testing  or your infringement on my body with a mask is unconstitutional is just garbage. People are dying from that troglodyte thinking.

When you have a medical condition, you follow the best medical advice you can get at that time while the research continues.  You don't wait for everyone to pass waiting for the final result.