Teddyy

Travel domestic while waiting on AOS

15 posts in this topic

Not sure where to put this discussion seeing as I have a few questions.

A little bit of background information: My SO and I (me being the US citizen) got married last year in the United States and filed all the necessary paperwork in January. She currently lives with me in the states. February she had her biometrics appointment, and we are still waiting on an interview. With the pandemic are others seeing this type of delay as well? She has yet to receive her EAD or anything after the biometrics.

We have to travel to another state and the fastest way is by plane. Is there any chance TSA will stop her? Deportation? Can we bring her valid Passport from her country and the receipts for her AOS?

I'm freaking out about it and not sure if its worth the risk. Obviously leaving the country wouldn't be such a grand idea, but is domestic travel by plane okay?

I searched this question prior to asking but could not find anything from year 2020 and immigration laws are always changing.   

As far as her getting a social security card, do we have to wait until she gets her GC? She has/had a SSN while she was here on her J1. Is that still valid?

I appreciate any help!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline

Yes the SSN is still valid. It's hers for life and there's no problem with traveling domestic. Her passport, the marriage certificate and the receipt notice for the AOS is what she should always carry with her even when just going shopping 😊

8 minutes ago, Teddyy said:

Not sure where to put this discussion seeing as I have a few questions.

A little bit of background information: My SO and I (me being the US citizen) got married last year in the United States and filed all the necessary paperwork in January. She currently lives with me in the states. February she had her biometrics appointment, and we are still waiting on an interview. With the pandemic are others seeing this type of delay as well? She has yet to receive her EAD or anything after the biometrics.

We have to travel to another state and the fastest way is by plane. Is there any chance TSA will stop her? Deportation? Can we bring her valid Passport from her country and the receipts for her AOS?

I'm freaking out about it and not sure if its worth the risk. Obviously leaving the country wouldn't be such a grand idea, but is domestic travel by plane okay?

I searched this question prior to asking but could not find anything from year 2020 and immigration laws are always changing.   

As far as her getting a social security card, do we have to wait until she gets her GC? She has/had a SSN while she was here on her J1. Is that still valid?

I appreciate any help!

Her SSN is for life and the number will never change.  Did you apply for concurrent EAD/AP combo card?  It is free when applied with or after an I-485.  Although her SSN won't change she needs the EAD to be able to work.

A pending AOS app means she is here under status of authorized stay. So yes, if you travel domestically, just bring the NOA1, which is evidence of a pending AOS.

2 minutes ago, Jorgedig said:

Her SSN is for life and the number will never change.  Did you apply for concurrent EAD/AP combo card?  It is free when applied with or after an I-485.  Although her SSN won't change she needs the EAD to be able to work.

A pending AOS app means she is here under status of authorized stay. So yes, if you travel domestically, just bring the NOA1, which is evidence of a pending AOS.

Yes we applied for the EAD/AP but have not received anything. Is that suppose to come by mail or email? I'm just guessing that COVID has delayed everything but is it common for someone to of not received their EAD 6 months after applying?

9 minutes ago, Teddyy said:

Yes we applied for the EAD/AP but have not received anything. Is that suppose to come by mail or email? I'm just guessing that COVID has delayed everything but is it common for someone to of not received their EAD 6 months after applying?

Pre-covid it was taking 5-7 months.  It will be a card sent by mail.

Does she have a US driving license? If so, just use that and the TSA agent will not treat her differently from any other passenger.

A magical mystery tour of many US visas prior to AOS... (J-1, F-1, H-1B)

I-485/AOS:

Spoiler

EAD/AP - NOA received May 18, 2020

AOS - NOA received May 18, 2020

Biometrics (Code 2) - August 5, 2020

Biometrics take 2 (Code 3) - August 27, 2020

Ready to be Scheduled for Interview - September 8, 2020

EAD/AP Approval Notice - October  1, 2020

EAD Card Received - October 13, 2020

Interview Scheduled Notification - March 1, 2021

Interview Scheduled - April 6, 2021

GC Approved - May 7, 2021

GC Mailed - May 11, 2021

GC Delivered - May 11, 2021

N400 Citizenship:

File Date - January 8, 2024

Biometrics Waiver - January 8, 2024

Interview Scheduled - March 7, 2024

Interview Date - April 12, 2024

Conditionally Approved Pending I-751 Transfer - April 12, 2024

I-751 Case Was Transferred to Another Office - April 12, 2024

Case Approved - May 5, 2024

Oath Ceremony to be Scheduled - May 5, 2024

Removal of Conditions:

File Date - January 7, 2023

Package Delivered - January 9, 2023

NOA Date - January 10, 2023

NOA Received - January 17, 2023 (dated "received" January 9, 2023)

48 Month Extension Received - March 20, 2023

Case Approved - May 3, 2024

event.png

Nope, unfortunately not as it needs to be a valid ID.

A magical mystery tour of many US visas prior to AOS... (J-1, F-1, H-1B)

I-485/AOS:

Spoiler

EAD/AP - NOA received May 18, 2020

AOS - NOA received May 18, 2020

Biometrics (Code 2) - August 5, 2020

Biometrics take 2 (Code 3) - August 27, 2020

Ready to be Scheduled for Interview - September 8, 2020

EAD/AP Approval Notice - October  1, 2020

EAD Card Received - October 13, 2020

Interview Scheduled Notification - March 1, 2021

Interview Scheduled - April 6, 2021

GC Approved - May 7, 2021

GC Mailed - May 11, 2021

GC Delivered - May 11, 2021

N400 Citizenship:

File Date - January 8, 2024

Biometrics Waiver - January 8, 2024

Interview Scheduled - March 7, 2024

Interview Date - April 12, 2024

Conditionally Approved Pending I-751 Transfer - April 12, 2024

I-751 Case Was Transferred to Another Office - April 12, 2024

Case Approved - May 5, 2024

Oath Ceremony to be Scheduled - May 5, 2024

Removal of Conditions:

File Date - January 7, 2023

Package Delivered - January 9, 2023

NOA Date - January 10, 2023

NOA Received - January 17, 2023 (dated "received" January 9, 2023)

48 Month Extension Received - March 20, 2023

Case Approved - May 3, 2024

event.png

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: China
Timeline

I answered this same question the other day on Reddit... Here's my answer:

An unexpired passport is good enough ID to get onto an airplane (assuming the name matches the ticketed name).

The border patrol should only stop you within 100 miles of the border (according to the constitution), though most major cities are within 100 miles of the "border", and sometimes areas near international airports will count, too. You can bring your passport, visa, I-94, and I-797C from the I-485 to show that you are legally within the USA. It's VERY unlikely that you would need these things, unless, for example, you were doing some hiking in the Sonoran Desert or other places with lots of illegal border crossing. I went to that desert with my wife (unexpired F1 visa) in the daytime, and we didn't see anyone else at all. There were lots of signs saying beware of human traffickers. I'm a US citizen, and I've never seen people being randomly asked for papers, though I've never lived close to borders.

The AP is ONLY needed for entering the united states. You can travel anywhere domestically (except perhaps American Samoa, which has a weird relationship to the federal government) without needing AP. You can travel to our other territories like Puerto Rico and USVI.

Don't, for example, transit through Canada to get to Alaska. That isn't allowed. I think you can take a boat to Puerto Rico, but not if the boat stops in any foreign waters. I'd suggest staying at least a few miles from our land borders, so that you don't accidentally drive or walk into Mexico or Canada.

18 hours ago, Teddyy said:

Domestic travel by plane is OK and poses no risk. 

She must carry her foreign passport and copy of NOA1 for AOS; some people also carry a copy of marriage certificate (just in case).

There is no risk of deportation and TSA would not stop her for immigration questioning -only CBP would if they are around-.

1 hour ago, Allaboutwaiting said:

Domestic travel by plane is OK and poses no risk. 

She must carry her foreign passport and copy of NOA1 for AOS; some people also carry a copy of marriage certificate (just in case).

There is no risk of deportation and TSA would not stop her for immigration questioning -only CBP would if they are around-.

If CBP were around, do they have the right to possibly deport her? Or anything other than detaining her momentarily to ask questions?

15 minutes ago, Teddyy said:

If CBP were around, do they have the right to possibly deport her? Or anything other than detaining her momentarily to ask questions?

She won't be deported. 

CBP would just ask a few questions and request to see her documents. Therefore the importance of having copies with her. 

• 1 year later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
On 7/11/2020 at 2:17 PM, pigrew said:

I answered this same question the other day on Reddit... Here's my answer:

An unexpired passport is good enough ID to get onto an airplane (assuming the name matches the ticketed name).

A little late to this thread (and things might've changed) but I'm planning on traveling domestically, California to Texas, in September for a wedding. When I married I took my husbands last name.

Can I book my flight in my maiden name to match my passport, and then just bring my NOA1 and marriage certificate indicating the name change, or is my only option to have my Canadian passport reissued to me in my married name? I feel like booking a ticket under a name that is not my current legal name is a no-no?

I'm hoping by then I will have recieved EAD or Green Card and this will be a non-issue because I can have a Real ID issued and travel  with that, but assuming I have not I'm not really sure what the correct thing is to do. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Book your ticket in the name on the ID you will be presenting to checkin and TSA as you head through security. NOA1 and marriage certificate should be carried as evidence of legal stay .. but this is rarely asked on domestic travel 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.