Jump to content
Teddyy

Travel domestic while waiting on AOS

12 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Not sure where to put this discussion seeing as I have a few questions.

 

A little bit of background information: My SO and I (me being the US citizen) got married last year in the United States and filed all the necessary paperwork in January. She currently lives with me in the states. February she had her biometrics appointment, and we are still waiting on an interview. With the pandemic are others seeing this type of delay as well? She has yet to receive her EAD or anything after the biometrics.

 

We have to travel to another state and the fastest way is by plane. Is there any chance TSA will stop her? Deportation? Can we bring her valid Passport from her country and the receipts for her AOS?

I'm freaking out about it and not sure if its worth the risk. Obviously leaving the country wouldn't be such a grand idea, but is domestic travel by plane okay?

I searched this question prior to asking but could not find anything from year 2020 and immigration laws are always changing.   

 

As far as her getting a social security card, do we have to wait until she gets her GC? She has/had a SSN while she was here on her J1. Is that still valid?

 

I appreciate any help!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

Yes the SSN is still valid. It's hers for life and there's no problem with traveling domestic. Her passport, the marriage certificate and the receipt notice for the AOS is what she should always carry with her even when just going shopping 😊

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: AOS (apr) Country: New Zealand
Timeline
8 minutes ago, Teddyy said:

Not sure where to put this discussion seeing as I have a few questions.

 

A little bit of background information: My SO and I (me being the US citizen) got married last year in the United States and filed all the necessary paperwork in January. She currently lives with me in the states. February she had her biometrics appointment, and we are still waiting on an interview. With the pandemic are others seeing this type of delay as well? She has yet to receive her EAD or anything after the biometrics.

 

We have to travel to another state and the fastest way is by plane. Is there any chance TSA will stop her? Deportation? Can we bring her valid Passport from her country and the receipts for her AOS?

I'm freaking out about it and not sure if its worth the risk. Obviously leaving the country wouldn't be such a grand idea, but is domestic travel by plane okay?

I searched this question prior to asking but could not find anything from year 2020 and immigration laws are always changing.   

 

As far as her getting a social security card, do we have to wait until she gets her GC? She has/had a SSN while she was here on her J1. Is that still valid?

 

I appreciate any help!

Her SSN is for life and the number will never change.  Did you apply for concurrent EAD/AP combo card?  It is free when applied with or after an I-485.  Although her SSN won't change she needs the EAD to be able to work.

 

A pending AOS app means she is here under status of authorized stay. So yes, if you travel domestically, just bring the NOA1, which is evidence of a pending AOS.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Jorgedig said:

Her SSN is for life and the number will never change.  Did you apply for concurrent EAD/AP combo card?  It is free when applied with or after an I-485.  Although her SSN won't change she needs the EAD to be able to work.

 

A pending AOS app means she is here under status of authorized stay. So yes, if you travel domestically, just bring the NOA1, which is evidence of a pending AOS.

Yes we applied for the EAD/AP but have not received anything. Is that suppose to come by mail or email? I'm just guessing that COVID has delayed everything but is it common for someone to of not received their EAD 6 months after applying?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: AOS (apr) Country: New Zealand
Timeline
9 minutes ago, Teddyy said:

Yes we applied for the EAD/AP but have not received anything. Is that suppose to come by mail or email? I'm just guessing that COVID has delayed everything but is it common for someone to of not received their EAD 6 months after applying?

Pre-covid it was taking 5-7 months.  It will be a card sent by mail.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does she have a US driving license? If so, just use that and the TSA agent will not treat her differently from any other passenger.


A magical mystery tour of many US visas prior to AOS...

 

EAD/AP - NOA received May 18, 2020

AOS - NOA received May 18, 2020

Biometrics (Code 2) - August 5, 2020

Biometrics take 2 (Code 3) - August 27, 2020

Ready to be Scheduled for Interview - September 8, 2020

EAD/AP Approval Notice - October  1, 2020

EAD Card Received - October 13, 2020

Interview Scheduled Notification - March 1, 2021

Interview Scheduled - April 6, 2021

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Rearviewmirror said:

Does she have a US driving license? If so, just use that and the TSA agent will not treat her differently from any other passenger.

She had one but it expired when her J-1 did so I don't think they will accept that right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nope, unfortunately not as it needs to be a valid ID.


A magical mystery tour of many US visas prior to AOS...

 

EAD/AP - NOA received May 18, 2020

AOS - NOA received May 18, 2020

Biometrics (Code 2) - August 5, 2020

Biometrics take 2 (Code 3) - August 27, 2020

Ready to be Scheduled for Interview - September 8, 2020

EAD/AP Approval Notice - October  1, 2020

EAD Card Received - October 13, 2020

Interview Scheduled Notification - March 1, 2021

Interview Scheduled - April 6, 2021

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: China
Timeline

I answered this same question the other day on Reddit... Here's my answer:

 

An unexpired passport is good enough ID to get onto an airplane (assuming the name matches the ticketed name).

 

The border patrol should only stop you within 100 miles of the border (according to the constitution), though most major cities are within 100 miles of the "border", and sometimes areas near international airports will count, too. You can bring your passport, visa, I-94, and I-797C from the I-485 to show that you are legally within the USA. It's VERY unlikely that you would need these things, unless, for example, you were doing some hiking in the Sonoran Desert or other places with lots of illegal border crossing. I went to that desert with my wife (unexpired F1 visa) in the daytime, and we didn't see anyone else at all. There were lots of signs saying beware of human traffickers. I'm a US citizen, and I've never seen people being randomly asked for papers, though I've never lived close to borders.

 

The AP is ONLY needed for entering the united states. You can travel anywhere domestically (except perhaps American Samoa, which has a weird relationship to the federal government) without needing AP. You can travel to our other territories like Puerto Rico and USVI.

 

Don't, for example, transit through Canada to get to Alaska. That isn't allowed. I think you can take a boat to Puerto Rico, but not if the boat stops in any foreign waters. I'd suggest staying at least a few miles from our land borders, so that you don't accidentally drive or walk into Mexico or Canada.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Teddyy said:

We have to travel to another state and the fastest way is by plane. Is there any chance TSA will stop her? Deportation? Can we bring her valid Passport from her country and the receipts for her AOS?

I'm freaking out about it and not sure if its worth the risk. Obviously leaving the country wouldn't be such a grand idea, but is domestic travel by plane okay?

Domestic travel by plane is OK and poses no risk. 

She must carry her foreign passport and copy of NOA1 for AOS; some people also carry a copy of marriage certificate (just in case).

There is no risk of deportation and TSA would not stop her for immigration questioning -only CBP would if they are around-.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Allaboutwaiting said:

Domestic travel by plane is OK and poses no risk. 

She must carry her foreign passport and copy of NOA1 for AOS; some people also carry a copy of marriage certificate (just in case).

There is no risk of deportation and TSA would not stop her for immigration questioning -only CBP would if they are around-.

If CBP were around, do they have the right to possibly deport her? Or anything other than detaining her momentarily to ask questions?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Teddyy said:

If CBP were around, do they have the right to possibly deport her? Or anything other than detaining her momentarily to ask questions?

She won't be deported. 

CBP would just ask a few questions and request to see her documents. Therefore the importance of having copies with her. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -


Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
“;}
×
×
  • Create New...