Megan A

Ongoing Relationship Evidence: Advice (Google Hangouts/Skype Issues)

19 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hello again!

I'm working on compiling all of my information to prove that we have a bonafide relationship. However, I've run into some roadblocks....and I wanted some advice.

I was planning to go back through our skype and google hangout logs to show that we've talked to each other multiple hours a day for years. However, Skype deleted the first two years of our communication after it upgraded to the Windows 10 version. We chatted on Whatsapp during most of that time as well, so I have that at least. We transitioned to Google Hangouts for calls during 2017, and only moved over to Facebook late 2019. The unfortunate aspect of google hangouts is that it doesn't show you the length of the call, just that you had a call with said person and when the call ended. I tried downloading the data using Google Takeout to see if the duration would pop up there, but the download has no json file, so I've resorted to screenshotting the chats despite lack of call duration. I'm really hoping that we will have more luck with Facebook, but I'd love to hear what you all think!

I've taken records of our Whatsapp chats (mostly talking about daily life things, although it's difficult to find a conversation without a heart in it xD) with around three conversations per month for the last five years. Unfortunately, we've both gotten new phones, so we only have Whatsapp calls for the last two months too... I've heard that the I-129f is mostly about the in-person meeting and receipts, and we have a photo timeline and everything, so I'm trying not to worry. 

Edited by Megan A

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

You really do not need proof of bona fide relationship for a K-1 visa.  That comes later after marriage, when you AOS and ROC.

You need to show you have met physically in the last 2 years, that you did not use a marriage broker (or, if you did, then proof the marriage broker adhered to certain guidelines), and that the two of you have the intention to marry.  Travel receipts, photos of you together, engagement ring receipt and photos (if you have it) and singed letters of intent to marry from each of you.  A few pages of chat logs (recent ones, not from 2017) wouldn't hurt.

57 minutes ago, Megan A said:

Hello again!

I'm working on compiling all of my information to prove that we have a bonafide relationship. However, I've run into some roadblocks....and I wanted some advice.

I was planning to go back through our skype and google hangout logs to show that we've talked to each other multiple hours a day for years. However, Skype deleted the first two years of our communication after it upgraded to the Windows 10 version. We chatted on Whatsapp during most of that time as well, so I have that at least. We transitioned to Google Hangouts for calls during 2017, and only moved over to Facebook late 2019. The unfortunate aspect of google hangouts is that it doesn't show you the length of the call, just that you had a call with said person and when the call ended. I tried downloading the data using Google Takeout to see if the duration would pop up there, but the download has no json file, so I've resorted to screenshotting the chats despite lack of call duration. I'm really hoping that we will have more luck with Facebook, but I'd love to hear what you all think!

I've taken records of our Whatsapp chats (mostly talking about daily life things, although it's difficult to find a conversation without a heart in it xD) with around three conversations per month for the last five years. Unfortunately, we've both gotten new phones, so we only have Whatsapp calls for the last two months too... I've heard that the I-129f is mostly about the in-person meeting and receipts, and we have a photo timeline and everything, so I'm trying not to worry. 

Please fill in your timeline with the consulate in question to get better answers.

In general, demonstrating a bonafide, ongoing relationship is not part of the I-129f petition process.  The requirement is to have met once during the previous two years.

Timeline

Really? Why do I see so much information about it then? It's all over the forums, and I got the impression that most people try to include as much information as possible? I've seen posts about a ridiculous 60+ screenshots of chats and such... I definitely have plenty of receipts, so that's reassuring!

Thank you for the timeline comment! @Jorgedig  I didn't even notice that part

Edited by Megan A

3 minutes ago, Megan A said:

Really? Why do I see so much information about it then? It's all over the forums, and I got the impression that most people try to include as much information as possible? I've seen posts about a ridiculous 60+ screenshots of chats and such... I definitely have plenty of receipts, so that's reassuring!

And this is where the timeline comes in.......because what one does for Lagos is distinctly different than what one does for London.

You see it all over the forums because people get their info from YouTube instead of from the USCIS checklist/instructions that accompany the petition.

Think *quality* over *quantity.*  No one at the service center wants to wade through 60 screenshots of chats.  Unlike an AOS interview, or petitioning for a spouse, there is no "ongoing relationship" requirement for a fiance petition.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
1 hour ago, Megan A said:

You answered your own question when you said "ridiculous"

For some reason people think "quantity" will get it done when "quality" is the key 

YMMV

6 hours ago, Megan A said:

Hello again!

I was planning to go back through our skype and google hangout logs to show that we've talked to each other multiple hours a day for years. However, Skype deleted the first two years of our communication after it upgraded to the Windows 10 version. We chatted on Whatsapp during most of that time as well, so I have that at least. We transitioned to Google Hangouts for calls during 2017, and only moved over to Facebook late 2019......

Use the checklist from https://www.uscis.gov/i-129f. It's listed toward the bottom of the page. 

We need a little housekeeping on your end. Many of our answers are predicated on the information you supply in your profile. When we look at the left column and can't determine your timeline OR your Embassy it's hard for us to give you a factual answer. Our answers will sometimes be tailored to a specific Embassy hence the reason for you to complete your profile. If you look at the profile of others here, they have a flag for their country, so it makes it easy for us to reply as we can quickly determine their Embassy. The country that should be used is the country where the interview will take place.

So, if you could help yourself out and complete your profile that sure would help us out when we want to reply to your question with factual information.

Country and Visa Type: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1RyJiLo_7WTmqvkzXXqLuOlVHm9oyhAES/view?usp=sharing

Once you finish that then return and you will see a flag in your profile. Select it and see what wonderful information will open up for you.

Thanks and Good luck and stay engaged. 

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

AOS March 5, 2014 Submitted AOS with EAD/AP package to Chicago USICS

Delivered March 8, 2014 AOS packaged delivered to USCIS drop box

Accepted March 19, 2014 Text message with receipt numbers

Biometrics April 16, 2014 Biometrics completed

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

TD May 23, 2014 Travel Document approved and went for card production

Receipt EAD/AP May 30, 2014 Received combo card EAD/AP

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Green Card received July 17, 2014 GC received without interview

Removal of Conditions

Mailed I-751 Dec 16, 2015 Submitted ROC (removal of conditions)

Received Dec 18, 2015 USPS notification of successful delivery

Check Cashed Dec 21, 2015 Check was cashed

NOA-1 Issued Dec 21, 2015 NOA-1 for ROC issued

NOA-1 Issued Dec 26, 2015 NOA-1 Received

Biometrics Appt. Jan 29, 2016 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled [Completed]

*~*~*procedural question moved from “progress reports”’ to “process and procedures”*~*~*

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
7 hours ago, Megan A said:

It's all over the forums, and I got the impression that most people try to include as much information as possible?

For most countries and a relationship with no red flags (big age gap, different religions, languages, cultures, suspicious circumstances, many recent K-1 petitions, etc.), you don't need to submit any relationship evidence, only the required forms and documents and proof of meeting at least once in person during the prior two years .  The posts you are referring to are likely for high fraud countries or relationships with many red flags, when sometimes the CO asks for relationship evidence at the interview.  Do any of those high-risk circumstances apply to your case?

Timeline

@JFH Thank you so much! I realized that the post was under the wrong subheading, but I wasn't sure how to move it!

@Greenbaum   That makes so much sense! Thank you. I think I've managed to fix that. I wasn't completely sure about which office to choose in "Filing At" since I've seen mixed things about it, but I was told that everyone mails to the TX Lockbox, and then it gets sent to CSC

@carmel34  The only potential weak spot with our relationship is probably the age gap. My fiance is five-and-a-half years older than me, and I'm still in my final years of college.

So, as far as I understand...I don't actually need to show that we've been communicating or involved romantically with one another? No calls, texts, messages between family members, gifts, nothing? The VJ guide certainly doesn't mention much about that, but I got mixed messages.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
28 minutes ago, Megan A said:

So, as far as I understand...I don't actually need to show that we've been communicating or involved romantically with one another? No calls, texts, messages between family members, gifts, nothing?

No, for a five-year age gap with a fiance from the UK, you don't need screen shots or any evidence of communication.  If you're a student, likely low income, the more pressing issue would be finding a qualified co-sponsor for financial support.

Timeline

@carmel34  Thank you. That's a weight off my shoulders. Yes, I agree, and we've already verified that my mother is willing to be a joint sponsor

Timeline

@Megan A  Hi, fellow K-1 from the UK here.  We just made a little powerpoint thing with photos of us visiting each other, just one or two photos in each location to show an enduring relationship.  We added a few to show we have met each other's parents, but I don't think that was needed.  Anyway we got our NOA2 all confirmed with little else, no call logs, emails or anything like that.  We are now waiting for London Embassy to start processing again.  I hope that helps on a personal level.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline
11 hours ago, Megan A said:

I've seen posts about a ridiculous 60+ screenshots of chats and such... 

Hahah that's relatively less. There are others with 1000+. Lurk around VJ for a while, utajua hujui...(Swahili fun saying, mostly used by Kenyans, meaning "you'll discover you never knew anything all this while." It's more of a fun word to throw around when you realize that what you knew all this while was a lie or not true)

2 hours ago, Megan A said:

So, as far as I understand...I don't actually need to show that we've been communicating or involved romantically with one another? 

How were you planning to prove/ evidence this? Curious 

@Lucky Cat 

Edited by Timona

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
12 hours ago, Megan A said:

but I'd love to hear what you all think!

1 hour ago, Megan A said:

So, as far as I understand...I don't actually need to show that we've been communicating or involved romantically with one another? No calls, texts, messages between family members, gifts, nothing? The VJ guide certainly doesn't mention much about that, but I got mixed messages.

Leave all of that out. Don’t even entertain the idea of taking it to a London interview either. They don’t want to see it.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.