handsofholes

How does an entire household immigrate at the same time?

13 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Lebanon
Timeline

My wife and I would like to know how we could petition for her parents and two brothers in a way that they are all approved and able to move here at the same time? Her two brothers are over 18 years old, but they still live with their parents and are dependent on them. So, it is basically a situation where they all move here at once together or none of them move at all. My wife and I are both U.S. citizens, so we were looking into the i-130, but the processing times for parents and siblings of U.S. citizens are different so we wanted to know what our options were to keep them together as a family unit throughout the immigration process.

Do we have any options we can pursue? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

18 is not a crucial age and neither is being dependent the issue. The issue is that they cannot be derivatives on an IR5 visa which is what the parents will get, so they cannot all immigrate at the same time. If they are under 21 and will be so for a while, then the patents can immigrate, get green cards, file F2A petitions for the sons and use a re-entry permit to live back with them at home until they get their visas. (This does involve other complications, like showing domicile and US income, but it’s the only possible way they will all be able to move at the same time.)

Timeline

One is over 21 and the other would likely be 21 by the time all of the paperwork is processed. Basically, there is no option for us? That is pretty messed up that they would not make a way to keep people together by at least putting parents and siblings on the same processing time frames. As it is, if we applied for the parents and they got approved... their visa would expire due to them waiting for the brothers petitions to become approved. It's highly unlikely that they would be approved in a similar time frame.

19 minutes ago, handsofholes said:

One is over 21 and the other would likely be 21 by the time all of the paperwork is processed. Basically, there is no option for us? That is pretty messed up that they would not make a way to keep people together by at least putting parents and siblings on the same processing time frames. As it is, if we applied for the parents and they got approved... their visa would expire due to them waiting for the brothers petitions to become approved. It's highly unlikely that they would be approved in a similar time frame.

Yes, children over 21 are considered adults and are not treated the same as actual children where it is obvious a family needs to be “kept together”. As it is the US is far more generous than just about any other country allowing all of adult children (even married ones and their kids in the case of citizens) and siblings to be sponsored. 

There are 2.1 million people currently in the waiting line under the sibling visa category. Trying to put them all in the same time frame as parents would be a disaster. The only way to do that would be to make the parents also wait 15 years plus with the siblings.

If they absolutely have to stay together then unfortunately yes your only alternative is that they do not immigrate.

Edited by SusieQQQ

Filed: FB-2 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

I did the I-130 for my mom and my sister who was just 21 at the time of the application. My mom got her visa in one year and was able to come here. My sister is still waiting for her paperwork through me after 8 years. My mom did apply for my sister 5 years ago (as child of LPR) and her process just started moving along. Right now its at the last step before she gets an interview. 
I am also a US citizen and that didnt move things along for my sister. Only for my mother. I am sorry but its pretty impossible for them to all come here at same time. 

47 minutes ago, JFH said:

Why does the US have a duty to keep non-American adults together? They are all adults. And if being together is important they can stay where they are. They are together now. 

Note that the USA is one of the only countries in the world that allows people to apply for citizenship after 2 years 9 months as a resident AND allows citizens to bring in parents and siblings. 

Not to mention the fees involved are paltry compared to some. 

Australia has basically only one option for parent visas and it costs over $47,000 per parent PLUS a $10,000 bond (which in fairness is theoretically refundable) against the fact that the parent will not make any future welfare claims.  Theoretically there are others, but they have such strict criteria and limited numbers allocated that they aren't worth mentioning.  

2 minutes ago, dentsflogged said:

Not to mention the fees involved are paltry compared to some. 

Australia has basically only one option for parent visas and it costs over $47,000 per parent PLUS a $10,000 bond (which in fairness is theoretically refundable) against the fact that the parent will not make any future welfare claims.  Theoretically there are others, but they have such strict criteria and limited numbers allocated that they aren't worth mentioning.  

And heaven forbid your parent has a stroke before they become citizens, because then Australia literally just chucks them out as a future public charge. Happened to my uncle.

13 hours ago, SusieQQQ said:

And heaven forbid your parent has a stroke before they become citizens, because then Australia literally just chucks them out as a future public charge. Happened to my uncle.

Yeah. Or the Irish family where a kid had diabetes (I think? Something relatively benign if expensive to treat) and they were denied extension of their residency based on it. 

29 minutes ago, dentsflogged said:

Yeah. Or the Irish family where a kid had diabetes (I think? Something relatively benign if expensive to treat) and they were denied extension of their residency based on it. 

Another friend got denied their initial residency application because one of their kids is autistic. Same reason, potential future public charge. Australia can be pretty harsh indeed. It was never an issue for the US, where they ended up.

Timeline

@Unlockable

I am seeing it rationally, but at the moment of my second reply I was just reacting emotionally. If there's nothing else we can do, then I suppose we will just have to make due with tourist visas to see each other as much as possible.

Filed: Timeline
2 hours ago, handsofholes said:

@Unlockable

I am seeing it rationally, but at the moment of my second reply I was just reacting emotionally. If there's nothing else we can do, then I suppose we will just have to make due with tourist visas to see each other as much as possible.

Or the sons can separately apply for a diversity visa when it becomes (or if it's still) available.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.