Adri.U

Filing N400 . Tax Return, Can I send H&R Block transcripts?

15 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Hello everyone!

I am starting my Naturalization application and I know we need to attached our tax return for the past 3 years. Can I attached copies of H&R Block or do the need to be official transcripts from the IRS obtained at the IRS? 

Thanks!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
7 hours ago, Adri.U said:

Hello everyone!

I am starting my Naturalization application and I know we need to attached our tax return for the past 3 years. Can I attached copies of H&R Block or do the need to be official transcripts from the IRS obtained at the IRS? 

Thanks!

Good morning,

USCIS wants IRS transcripts, I had turbotax copy of my taxes and had to send IRS transcripts as this is what is required. 

N400 - Naturalization                                                                                                        U.S. Passport

Aug 05, 2018 (Day 1): Applied for Naturalization online                                                  Oct 01, 2019 (Day 1): Sent US Passport Application

Aug 06, 2018 (Day 2): Check Cashed, NOA1 received online                                         Oct 08, 2019 (Day 8 ) : Passport trackable 

Aug 11, 2018 (Day 6): Recvd notification that Biometrics appointment scheduled       Oct 17, 2019 (Day 17) : Received Passport

Aug 13, 2018 (Day 8): Received biometrics appt letter online                                        Oct 21, 2019 (Day 21) : Received Naturalization Cert. back

Aug 28, 2018 (Day 23): Biometrics Appt

May 06, 2019 (Day 274): In Line For Interview

Jun 11, 2019 (Day 311): Interview Date

July 01, 2019 (Day 327) : Oath Ceremony I AM NOW A US CITIZEN!!!!

FROM K-1 PETITION SENT TO OATH CEREMONY WAS ABOUT 7 YEARS 4 MONTHS

After 8 years of marriage divorced October 4, 2021

TO SEE MY FULL TIMELINE GO HERE: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/user/125109-cdnon-usavt/

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

As others mentioned, IRS Transcripts would be the safest bet. Give em papers from another govt dept As that's more trustworthy data and you'll have a smooth sailing.

Spoiler

Islamabad Embassy Interview coming up soon? Please join here: >> Islamabad Embassy Interview coming up.

01/2016: Petition filed for my visa
02/2016: USCIS confirmed receiving our file/petition on 1st Feb.
04/2016: I-130 Approval email received from DHS towards early May, our case was approved end of April. 
03/2017: Paid AoS and IV Bill
03/2017: Sent AoS and IV Packages via mail.
04/2017: 5th day of April, NVC received package. Can take up to 11 weeks for CC according to nvc.

06/2017: 6th day of June, Case Completed - confirmed via phone

07/2017: Interviewed end of July 2017.

>> Passport with Visa received the next day of interview 

8/2017: POE via JFK

05/2020: N400 Filed

06/2021: Biometrics taken

02/2022: Interview Scheduled (Yes, after 22 months -.- )

• 4 weeks later...
Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Guatemala
Timeline
On ‎5‎/‎30‎/‎2020 at 9:13 AM, CDN(ON)-USA(VT) said:

Good morning,

USCIS wants IRS transcripts, I had turbotax copy of my taxes and had to send IRS transcripts as this is what is required. 

I know this topic is old but I'm filling my citizenship right now but I was told by a lawyer I wasn't going to need the transcripts when filling, maybe at the interview but not when filling. how accurate is this?  

Timeline
29 minutes ago, MarlinCobon said:

I know this topic is old but I'm filling my citizenship right now but I was told by a lawyer I wasn't going to need the transcripts when filling, maybe at the interview but not when filling. how accurate is this?  

This is accurate. You don’t have to include your IRS transcripts in your initial filing. Here is a link to the instructions: https://www.uscis.gov/system/files_force/files/form/n-400instr.pdf?download=1

N400 - Naturalization                                                                                                        U.S. Passport

Aug 05, 2018 (Day 1): Applied for Naturalization online                                                  Oct 01, 2019 (Day 1): Sent US Passport Application

Aug 06, 2018 (Day 2): Check Cashed, NOA1 received online                                         Oct 08, 2019 (Day 8 ) : Passport trackable 

Aug 11, 2018 (Day 6): Recvd notification that Biometrics appointment scheduled       Oct 17, 2019 (Day 17) : Received Passport

Aug 13, 2018 (Day 8): Received biometrics appt letter online                                        Oct 21, 2019 (Day 21) : Received Naturalization Cert. back

TO SEE MY FULL TIMELINE GO HERE: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/user/125109-cdnon-usavt/

Timeline
4 minutes ago, CDN(ON)-USA(VT) said:

This is accurate. You don’t have to include your IRS transcripts in your initial filing. Here is a link to the instructions: https://www.uscis.gov/system/files_force/files/form/n-400instr.pdf?download=1

thank you so much!

Timeline
11 minutes ago, MarlinCobon said:

thank you so much!

You are most welcome

• 1 year later...
On 6/25/2020 at 8:33 AM, MarlinCobon said:

Reviving almost an year old post. MarlinCobon, what was your experience with the tax returns for sending application? I m filing for under 3 yr rule marriage based. Finished filing taxes for 18,19 and 20 today. I have tax returns from the accountant now and I want to submit  the application.

The form instructions do say either or options and I feel I can go with option a.

a. Tax returns, bank accounts, leases, mortgages, or birth certificates of children; or b. Internal Revenue Service (IRS)-certified copies of the income tax forms that you both filed for the past 3 years; or c. An IRS tax return transcript for the last 3 years.

Any thoughts?

Timeline
17 hours ago, humming bird said:

Reviving almost an year old post. MarlinCobon, what was your experience with the tax returns for sending application? I m filing for under 3 yr rule marriage based. Finished filing taxes for 18,19 and 20 today. I have tax returns from the accountant now and I want to submit  the application.

The form instructions do say either or options and I feel I can go with option a.

a. Tax returns, bank accounts, leases, mortgages, or birth certificates of children; or b. Internal Revenue Service (IRS)-certified copies of the income tax forms that you both filed for the past 3 years; or c. An IRS tax return transcript for the last 3 years.

Any thoughts?

hello!

I didn't submit any tax returns and I have my interview on the 27th of this month. I am planning on taking my tax transcripts except for the one for 2020 because I don't have it yet. My sister had her interview on the 15th and she was not asked for any of them. Keep in mind we submitted our application based on the 5 year rule. Marriage based is different. When you submit your application you always have the option to go back and add more supporting documents. Maybe you can submit the tax transcripts for the years that you have and the tax returns for the year that you don't. if you don't have them you can always request them on the IRS page and they will arrive in 7-10 days.

Edited by MarlinCobon

3 hours ago, MarlinCobon said:

hello!

I didn't submit any tax returns and I have my interview on the 27th of this month. I am planning on taking my tax transcripts except for the one for 2020 because I don't have it yet. My sister had her interview on the 15th and she was not asked for any of them. Keep in mind we submitted our application based on the 5 year rule. Marriage based is different. When you submit your application you always have the option to go back and add more supporting documents. Maybe you can submit the tax transcripts for the years that you have and the tax returns for the year that you don't. if you don't have them you can always request them on the IRS page and they will arrive in 7-10 days.

Thank you Marlin. I didn't realize yours was under 5 years rule. I got the returns for all three years and I will upload those for now and transcripts later.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

**Moved from US Citizenship Case Filing and Progress Reports to USC General Discussion**

🇷🇺 CR-1 via DCF (Dec 2016-Jun 2017) & I-751 ROC (Apr 2019-Oct 2019)🌹

Spoiler

Info about my DCF Moscow* experience here and here

26-Jul-2016: Married abroad in Russia 👩‍❤️‍👨 See guide here
21-Dec-2016: I-130 filed at Moscow USCIS field office*
29-Dec-2016: I-130 approved! Yay! 🎊 

17-Jan-2017: Case number received

21-Mar-2017: Medical Exam completed

24-Mar-2017: Interview at Embassy - approved! 🎉

29-Mar-2017: CR-1 Visa received (via mail)

02-Apr-2017: USCIS Immigrant (GC) Fee paid

28-Jun-2017: Port of Entry @ PDX 🛩️

21-Jul-2017: No SSN after three weeks; applied in person at the SSA

22-Jul-2017: GC arrived in the mail 📬

31-Jul-2017: SSN arrived via mail, hurrah!

*NOTE: The USCIS Field Office in Moscow is now CLOSED as of February 28th, 2019.

Removal of Conditions - MSC Service Center

28-Jun-2019: Conditional GC expires

30-Mar-2019: Eligible to apply for ROC

01-Apr-2019: ROC in the mail to Phoenix AZ lockbox! 📫

03-Apr-2019: ROC packet delivered to lockbox

09-Apr-2019: USCIS cashed check

09-Apr-2019: Case number received via text - MSC 📲

12-Apr-2019: Extension letter arrives via mail

19-Apr-2019: Biometrics letter arrives via mail

30-Apr-2019: Biometrics appointment at local office

26-Jun-2019: Case ready to be scheduled for interview 

04-Sep-2019: Interview was scheduled - letter to arrive in mail

09-Sep-2019: Interview letter arrived in the mail! ✉️

17-Oct-2019: Interview scheduled @ local USCIS  

18-Oct-2019: Interview cancelled & notice ordered*

18-Oct-2019: Case was approved! 🎉

22-Oct-2019: Card was mailed to me 📨

23-Oct-2019: Card was picked by USPS 

25-Oct-2019: 10 year GC Card received in mail 📬

*I don't understand this status because we DID have an interview!

🇺🇸 N-400 Application for Naturalization (Apr 2020-Jun 2021) 🛂

Spoiler

Filed during Covid-19 & moved states 1 month after filing

30-Mar-2020: N-400 early filing window opens!

01-Apr-2020: Filed N-400 online 💻 

02-Apr-2020: NOA 1 - Receipt No. received online 📃

07-Apr-2020: NOA 1 - Receipt No. received via mail

05-May-2020: Moved to another state, filed AR-11 online

05-May-2020: Application transferred to another USCIS field office for review ➡️

15-May-2020: AR-11 request to change address completed

16-Jul-2020: Filed non-receipt inquiry due to never getting confirmation that case was transferred to new field office

15-Oct-2020: Received generic response to non-receipt inquiry, see full response here

10-Feb-2021: Contacted senator's office for help with USCIS

12-Feb-2021: Received canned response from senator's office that case is within processing time 😡

16-Feb-2021: Contacted other senator's office for help with USCIS - still no biometrics

19-Feb-2021: Biometrics reuse notice - canned response from other senator's office 🌐

23-Feb-2021: Interview scheduled - notice to come in the mail

25-Feb-2021: Biometrics reuse notice arrives via mail

01-Mar-2021: Interview notice letter arrives via mail  ✉️ 

29-Mar-2021: Passed interview at local office! Oath Ceremony to be scheduled

13-Apr-2021: Oath Ceremony notice was mailed

04-May-2021: Oath Ceremony scheduled 🎆 Unable to attend due to illness

04-May-2021: Mailed request to reschedule Oath to local office

05-May-2021: "You did not attend your Oath Ceremony" - notice to come in the mail

06-May-2021: Oath Ceremony will be scheduled, date TBA

12-May-2021: Oath Ceremony re-scheduled for June 3rd, then de-scheduled same day 😡 

25-May-2021: New Oath Ceremony notice was mailed

16-Jun-2021: Oath Ceremony scheduled 🎆 - DONE!!

17-Jun-2021: Certificate of Naturalization issued

🎆 Members new and old: don't forget to fill in your VJ timeline! 🎇 https://www.visajourney.com/timeline/

• 1 month later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

One important thing is that if you want to create an account to print your taxes using the online option you need a credit card (not a debit card), student loan, mortgage or home equity loan, home equity line of credit or an auto loan as a way to verify your identity. If you have none of these you will have to request that your tax transcripts be mailed to you.

create an IRS account.

Do note that you can only get current + 3 prior years' "TAX RETURN TRANSCRIPTS". They offer "Account transcripts" for longer than that. These "account transcripts" are simpler transcripts that just show totals. Regular tax return transcripts include detailed info. 

Personally, what I did was to include the 4 tax return transcripts I got from my IRS account. For the 5th year I included both my federal tax return 1040 + the IRS account transcript. My cover letter had a list of supporting documentation filed with my application. I listed "tax returns transcripts for years A, B, C and D. Account transcripts and Federal income tax return for year E"

I wouldn't include tax software printouts. That's just asking for an RFE and extra delays on your case.

Create an IRS account and download the transcripts. It's easy, free, instant and you can rest knowing it will be accepted. 

Edited by happytree

On 5/30/2020 at 1:23 AM, Adri.U said:

Hello everyone!

Thanks!

Where did you get that? No you don't need to attach any tax returns to your N-400, unless you had issues with being late paying your taxes, or you are in debt to IRS.

I have just had my N-400 interview and I didn't attach my tax returns to N-400 and didn't show them during interview. Not needed

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.