12 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi all! I came here on K1, been married since October, and now thinking about establishing myself financially as early and as quickly as possible. So I'm posting here to get tips from you guys: what are the best ways for me to build my credit, considering I cannot work yet (pending EAD) and might not have to work in the future anyways? (such is my arrangement with my husband)

I did a bit of research and the first things (also the easiest) that came up are 1) Get a secured credit card; and 2) Get my name onto my husband's bank account as an authorized user (not sure how this works in the technical sense). I'm not exactly finance-savvy so I was hoping you guys could give me your two cents worth, if you be so kind. Also, if anyone here has been in my situation, perhaps you could share your experience and takeaways.

Thanks in advance and everyone stay safe and healthy in these times of uncertainty. ❤️

- Del

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Well, from my personal experiences adding yourself as an authorized user on your husband credit card is the best way. When my wife come to USA with CR1 visa, I'm adding her as an authorized user on one of my CC, and after two month she apply and approved with Chase Freedom. Well, my jaw is actually dropping since i have to build my credit score in 2 years to get approved with Chase Freedom, and she only took 2 months. So, do yourself a favor and ask your husband add you as an authorized user on his older credit card. Also, check with your bank since they maybe require your SSN.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
5 hours ago, Del A. said:

Hi all! I came here on K1, been married since October, and now thinking about establishing myself financially as early and as quickly as possible. So I'm posting here to get tips from you guys: what are the best ways for me to build my credit, considering I cannot work yet (pending EAD) and might not have to work in the future anyways? (such is my arrangement with my husband)

I did a bit of research and the first things (also the easiest) that came up are 1) Get a secured credit card; and 2) Get my name onto my husband's bank account as an authorized user (not sure how this works in the technical sense). I'm not exactly finance-savvy so I was hoping you guys could give me your two cents worth, if you be so kind. Also, if anyone here has been in my situation, perhaps you could share your experience and takeaways.

Thanks in advance and everyone stay safe and healthy in these times of uncertainty. ❤️

- Del

Your credit score is based on a number of factors.  The first and foremost factor is payment history.  Get a small credit card with a low limit to start that can be increased over time because the 2nd factor is credit utilization.  But always pay your bills on time.  Pay it off every month if you can so that you're credit utilization is at a minimum.  Meaning that if you have a $1,000 credit card and your balance is $900 your utilization is 90% which is bad but if you pay it off it's at 0% which is good.  But you have to use the card too so you're making payments.  Then it becomes length of time, credit mix and credit inquiries from lenders is a factor.  

It'll take time to build up a credit score so be patient.  

I put Mary on a Capital One Venture Credit Card (25k limit) prior to marriage without her ssn. Right after marriage I was added her to a more including Chase Sapphire.  She got her SSN and applied for a Capital One card of her own and got a small limit.  She made little charges and paid everything in full when the statement came. She now has a $2500 limit.  But since I put her on the Chase (and AMEX, Target, Exxon) we noticed her score went way up.  Up to 780.  Apparently the creditors reported my payment histories as if she had been in the US for years.  In fact my Exxon went back to 1985.   I use my cards for work and travel and sometime carry a big balance.   She now makes fun of me whenever my score is less than hers.

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

On 4/24/2020 at 1:40 PM, Del A. said:

- Del

Your husband adding you as an authorized user on some of his cards is the fastest way. You will build a score piggy backed onto his credit provided he has good credit. Beware though that some secured credit cards will still ask you about employment, also if you have a SSN in your maiden name you could run into problems there to trying to get approved. For now I would just have him add me to a few cards then continue to pay them on time and in no time about 3 months you'll have a score. It worked for us!

4 years, 11 months, 2 weeks and 3 days

Citizenship Complete!

USCIS is like a box of chocolates, you never know what kind of answer you are going to get!!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Italy
Timeline

I was curious as well about this topic. Do I have to be married to my fiancé, for him to be able to add me to his cards or this can work as well as fiancée? 

we are on K1 still processing so we are not married yet. 

Edited by Ali&Ed

1 hour ago, Ali&Ed said:

I was curious as well about this topic. Do I have to be married to my fiancé, for him to be able to add me to his cards or this can work as well as fiancée? 

we are on K1 still processing so we are not married yet. 

No you do not need to be married for credit cards. I added Mary before we married.   Since then I added her sister so she add access incase of an emergency.

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Italy
Timeline
On 4/26/2020 at 10:16 PM, Paul & Mary said:

No you do not need to be married for credit cards. I added Mary before we married.   Since then I added her sister so she add access incase of an emergency.

I followed your advice and my fiancé add me to his credit cards. He needed to call Amex and they allowed him to put my passport info instead of SSN, for Chase and Bank of America they didn’t asked for SSN, yet. He already received them and activated them. 

Thank you for all your informations!!🙏🏼

Filed: IR-5 Timeline
On 5/6/2020 at 7:27 PM, Ali&Ed said:

I followed your advice and my fiancé add me to his credit cards. He needed to call Amex and they allowed him to put my passport info instead of SSN, for Chase and Bank of America they didn’t asked for SSN, yet. He already received them and activated them. 

Thank you for all your informations!!🙏🏼

Good luck 

04/21/20: IR-5 Submitted Online 

04/21/20: NOA1 Issued online

04/27/20: NOA1 Received via postal mail from Texas Service Center

04/27/20: Touched

04/28/20: Case Transferred to California Service Center

05/14/20: Touched 

05/15/20: Touched 

07/01/20: Touched

07/06/20: Touched 

07/06/20: RFE Issued (not available online)

07/16/20: RFE Received in Mail

07/20/20: DNA Done in USA

08/09/20: RFE Partial Response Submitted Online

08/26/20: RFE Partial Response Submitted via mail

09/01/20: Touched

10/28/21: DNA test results Received by USCIS

11/12/21: NOA2

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Filed: IR-5 Timeline
On 10/5/2020 at 7:43 PM, darlooz said:

Hi! I am on the same situation and just got my Discover IT Credit card, it was pretty easy and customer service is pretty good! I got accepted with no credit history and am starting small by putting our Netflix bill on it every month and paying that off every month to help build my credit :) 

You are doing just fine. You will notice your creidt score going up every month. Make sure to keep making the payments on time and don’t exceed your credit limit 👍

04/21/20: IR-5 Submitted Online 

04/21/20: NOA1 Issued online

04/27/20: NOA1 Received via postal mail from Texas Service Center

04/27/20: Touched

04/28/20: Case Transferred to California Service Center

05/14/20: Touched 

05/15/20: Touched 

07/01/20: Touched

07/06/20: Touched 

07/06/20: RFE Issued (not available online)

07/16/20: RFE Received in Mail

07/20/20: DNA Done in USA

08/09/20: RFE Partial Response Submitted Online

08/26/20: RFE Partial Response Submitted via mail

09/01/20: Touched

10/28/21: DNA test results Received by USCIS

11/12/21: NOA2

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline

Another thing you could ask your bank for is a credit building loan. You basically take a small loan but instead of getting the money, the bank will place it on a separate account from which the loan will get paid off every month. So you have a different type of credit in your mix and the bank reports a positive payment every month. Two good things for your score at once without a hassle.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.