Griselita

Petition approved, what's next? he is here, does it matter?

45 posts in this topic

Hi!

I received a document from USCIS titled 1-797 Notice of Action, where it says that that my petition (i-130 petition for alien relative, unmarried son or daughter 21 or older…) has been approved.

My question is simple:

What’s next?

Has anything changed due the COVID19?

The notice also says that the NV will contact the beneficiary, but where? I suppose he will be contacted at his address, which is outside United States, but he came here more than a month ago to visit me and got stranded due the covid19, and suspect he will be here for couple of months more?

So what should I do in this case?

Petition case approved and he here in the United States?

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline

If PD is current, you can go ahead and file for AOS with USCIS.

Spouse:

2015-06-16: I-130 Sent

2015-08-17: I-130 approved

2015-09-23: NVC received file

2015-10-05: NVC assigned Case number, Invoice ID & Beneficiary ID

2016-06-30: DS-261 completed, AOS Fee Paid, WL received

2016-07-05: Received IV invoice, IV Fee Paid

2016-07-06: DS-260 Submitted

2016-07-07: AOS and IV Package mailed

2016-07-08: NVC Scan

2016-08-08: Case Complete

2017-06-30: Interview, approved

2017-07-04: Visa in hand

2017-08-01: Entry to US

Myself:

2016-05-10: N-400 Sent

2016-05-16: N-400 NOA1

2016-05-26: Biometrics

2017-01-30: Interview

2017-03-02: Oath Ceremony

Is priority date current? Then file aos as Arken said. 

Confirming, given forum you posted in, that you are asking about an F2B case? (If that’s the case I don’t  imagine he’s current if you just got the approval notice but never assume...)

If his priority date is not current he needs to return home to await processing, when flights to his home country restart. Nothing to be done yet. 

Edited by SusieQQQ

10 hours ago, SusieQQQ said:

Is priority date current? Then file aos as Arken said. 

Confirming, given forum you posted in, that you are asking about an F2B case? (If that’s the case I don’t  imagine he’s current if you just got the approval notice but never assume...)

If his priority date is not current he needs to return home to await processing, when flights to his home country restart. Nothing to be done yet. 

He hav B1/B2 visa, he cant go back because COVID19, athought he is legal until Aug

yes, he is F2B
i dont know what you mean with current,  but yes i just good the approval notice, nothing else.

Edited by Griselita

1 hour ago, Griselita said:

He hav B1/B2 visa, he cant go back because COVID19, athought he is legal until Aug

yes, he is F2B
i dont know what you mean with current,  but yes i just good the approval notice, nothing else.

This is the principle: He can’t adjust status until his priority date is current, which means it is shown in the visa bulletin as a visa being immediately available for him. If he overstays past his B visa authorized stay date and he is not yet able to adjust status, then he goes into overstay and starts accruing unlawful presence.  Once he has even one day of unlawful presence he will not be able to adjust status (because he will be out of status, and you cannot adjust status if you are not in lawful status at the time). Also, his existing B visa will automatically be cancelled/voided on the first day of overstay. If he accrues 180 days of unlawful presence, he triggers a three year ban on re-entering the US (yes, even on an immigrant visa) once he has left. If he accumulates one year of unlawful presence, he triggers a ten year ban on exit. So you can see, there are some very serious consequences to overstaying.

Now, your situation.

My priority date is 11/2/15.

is it he or you, bit confusing you write in both first and third person.
The current priority date (for April 2020] for F2B is 11/01/2014 (assuming you are not from Mexico or Philippines). https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/legal/visa-law0/visa-bulletin/2020/visa-bulletin-for-april-2020.html So your priority date is not current yet. Even on the dates for filing for AOS it is 07/01/2015 so still probably a good few months away. Note the visa bulletin is late this month and things will likely slow down or possibly even retrogress as a result of no interviews, either visa or AOS, being held at present. If you want I guess you can stay till August and see if your number gets current and you can file AOS, but if it does not get current by then you must leave before your B authorized stay expires because of the negative consequences described above.

Edited by SusieQQQ

19 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

oh i am sorry, that's her current date, i used to write in this form when my case, now is for him.

26 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

This is the principle: He can’t adjust status until his priority date is current, which means it is shown in the visa bulletin as a visa being immediately available for him. If he overstays past his B visa authorized stay date and he is not yet able to adjust status, then he goes into overstay and starts accruing unlawful presence.  Once he has even one day of unlawful presence he will not be able to adjust status (because he will be out of status, and you cannot adjust status if you are not in lawful status at the time). Also, his existing B visa will automatically be cancelled/voided on the first day of overstay. If he accrues 180 days of unlawful presence, he triggers a three year ban on re-entering the US (yes, even on an immigrant visa) once he has left. If he accumulates one year of unlawful presence, he triggers a ten year ban on exit. So you can see, there are some very serious consequences to overstaying.

Now, your situation.

The current priority date (for April 2020] for F2B is 11/01/2014 (assuming you are not from Mexico or Philippines). https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/legal/visa-law0/visa-bulletin/2020/visa-bulletin-for-april-2020.html So your priority date is not current yet. Even on the dates for filing for AOS it is 07/01/2015 so still probably a good few months away. Note the visa bulletin is late this month and things will likely slow down or possibly even retrogress as a result of no interviews, either visa or AOS, being held at present. If you want I guess you can stay till August and see if your number gets current and you can file AOS, but if it does not get current by then you must leave before your B authorized stay expires because of the negative consequences described above.

Thank you very much for your response, he came here to help me with some paperworks then all this COVID19 explodes, there is no flight to Dominican Republic, but even so he doesn't want to leave until i am back to work, he got permit to stay here until Aug, hopefully from now to Aug most people get tack to work including me so he can go back to DR.

I was interested to know how long will it take because i heard him making a plan with some friends of him that are coming in June next year for a summer work and he was wondering if he gets residence for that time he can come with his friends... but i think it will take more than a year

There is no flight to Dominican Republic

I was interested to know how long will it take because i heard him making a plan with some friends of him that are coming in June next year for a summer work and he was wondering if he gets residence for that time he can come with his friends... but i think it will take more than a year

Flights to DM are available although limited, I just checked, and I’m sure the numbers will increase as time goes on.

timeframe is unknown it will depend on visa availability 12 months or longer I should imagine 

AOS Journey

• I-485 etc filed 23 April 2020 
  • NOA1 I-485 June 3 2020 
  • NOA1 EAD 23 April 2020
  • Biometrics 5 Jan 2021
  • EAD approved 12 March 2021
  • Interview Completed 24 March 2021
  • EAD Card Received 1 April 2021  
  • Case under review 2 April 2021
  • New Card is Being Produced 25 September 2021
  • 10 Year Green Card Approved and Mailed 27 September 2021 🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌

• 4 weeks later...

uhm...

the notice i received, the i-797, says that i should have receive a correspondence by mail and that they will be contacting my son.

There has been more than 30 days, and my son is here with me, hi is not in DR to receive any correspondence.

what will happen?

• 3 weeks later...

I already have access to pay for the visa petition and to submit the affidavit.

now i have question regarding the affidavit.

i dont understand the household size thing.

"You must show that your household income is equal to or higher than 125% of the U.S. poverty level for your household size"

What is my household size?

2 hours ago, Griselita said:

I already have access to pay for the visa petition and to submit the affidavit.

now i have question regarding the affidavit.

i dont understand the household size thing.

"You must show that your household income is equal to or higher than 125% of the U.S. poverty level for your household size"

What is my household size?

Follow the I-864 + its instructions to calculate your household size.

Part 5 of the I-864 lists the people to include. Be sure to follow the note at the top: do not count anybody more than once.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.