prettylilraindrop

Should I apply for EAD and travel authorisation?

12 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

We haven’t yet filed for the adjustment of status from the K1 but are getting the paperwork ready. Obviously the EAD and travel authorisation is very expensive on top of the already expensive other fees for the forms to adjust etc. 

I saw on my other post that especially with this virus, the delays are crazy. Obviously I want to be able to work and travel as soon as possible and can’t wait a year if it will take this long so should we apply for this? Is there any way around this and is this the most common thing to do? I know it’s optional, I just haven’t seen much about whether people do/ don’t and how much difference it makes. Also with these documents do you obtain a social security number? 

any help would be appreciated- thanks! 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
3 minutes ago, prettylilraindrop said:

We haven’t yet filed for the adjustment of status from the K1 but are getting the paperwork ready. Obviously the EAD and travel authorisation is very expensive on top of the already expensive other fees for the forms to adjust etc. 

I saw on my other post that especially with this virus, the delays are crazy. Obviously I want to be able to work and travel as soon as possible and can’t wait a year if it will take this long so should we apply for this? Is there any way around this and is this the most common thing to do? I know it’s optional, I just haven’t seen much about whether people do/ don’t and how much difference it makes. Also with these documents do you obtain a social security number? 

It is fee waived with the i485

YMMV

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

SSN for K1 is something you apply for after entry.

Many people seem to be expediting WAD and AP due to the delays.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline
1 hour ago, prettylilraindrop said:

They are free when you apply together or after the I-485.

Send the forms.

Don't forget the I-944.

Timeline
1 hour ago, Boiler said:

SSN for K1 is something you apply for after entry.

Many people seem to be expediting WAD and AP due to the delays.

Oh okay thank you, where do I apply for this? Is it part of the adjustment paperwork or something separate?

Timeline
27 minutes ago, Ayrton said:

They are free when you apply together or after the I-485.

Send the forms.

Don't forget the I-944.

Oh that's a relief- thank you! About the I-944 do I need this as well as the affidavit of support forms for my sponsors? I didn't see this on the list of required docs

thanks!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

Oh that's a relief- thank you! About the I-944 do I need this as well as the affidavit of support forms for my sponsors? I didn't see this on the list of required docs

thanks!

It replaces I-134 that you used at the embassy stage

Speak the truth even if your voice shakes

thanks!

Yes. The I-864 and I-944 are both needed.

I-864 is about the sponsor.

I-944 is about the applicant. As a new entrant to the US, some questions may not apply well. That is fine - you complete and provide what does apply.

The I-944 is noted in the I-485 instructions. The VJ guide is not updated for this form yet.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Oh okay thank you, where do I apply for this? Is it part of the adjustment paperwork or something separate?

You do not have a timeline so difficult to comment, you may have missed the boat, but it is something seperate you can get when you arrive.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline
56 minutes ago, 2019&beyond said:

No it doesn't. You still need to file the Affidavit of Support along with the I944

I what is I-864?  It's affidavit of support 

I-134 is affidavit of support that you submit at the embassy for K1. If you when you are submitting AOS you submit I-864...am sure you do not understand. 

Speak the truth even if your voice shakes

19 hours ago, prettylilraindrop said:

do you obtain a social security number?

Look up the phone number for your local SSA office and ask how they are accepting SS-5 applications during the office closure. SSA follows their POMS so you're currently eligible for a restricted SSN card:

ssn5.png

SSA POMS RM 10211.530 says "Legal alien allowed to work" in the K-1 row: https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0110211530

Obviously the EAD and travel authorisation is very expensive

Refer to I-485 instructions Page 18: "If you properly file Form I-485 and pay the required fees, you may file Form I-765 and Form I-131 without paying additional fees. You may file these forms together, or if you choose to file Form I-765 or Form I-131 separately, you must also submit a copy of your I-797C, Notice of Action, receipt as evidence that you filed and paid for Form I-485."

I just haven’t seen much about whether people do/ don’t

I'd say the majority do since it's free.

An example of the optional cover letters: https://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/719721-aos-packet-question/page/3/?tab=comments#comment-9880776 But do include I-944 with I-485. The I-485 cover letter example in that link was before I-944 was required.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.