Crazy Cat

IRS Stimulus Check Portal is now Active

177 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
51 minutes ago, Camboturk said:

I am a US citizen. My wife has a conditional green card that was set to expire in March 2020 so we filed the I-751, Petition to Remove Conditions on Residence in January 2020 and also received the I-797 notice that her conditional resident status had been extended for 18 months. She has been working for years and has an SSN (no ITIN). We filed our taxes (married filing jointly) in 2018 and 2019 using Credit Karma and received refunds both years via direct deposit (we didn't owe). This year, I filed on February 1st and got the refund on February 12, so the IRS SHOULD have my banking info. Note that if the timeline is important, this was AFTER we filed the I-751 and received the I-797 of extension.

With all that background information, the IRS stimulus check status page still says "Payment Status Not Available". I am very worried that we won't get the $2400 stimulus check. I have read that people who used Credit Karma are having issues and I think that my wife's green card status could also be a factor as well. Does anyone have any idea what we can do? Is it possible that the status page will still say "payment status not available" and a paper check will be mailed to us anyway?

I just read this link which seems to imply that people with pending green card applications may need to wait for their applications to be resolved first: https://www.marketwatch.com/story/why-havent-i-gotten-my-stimulus-check-yet-6-possible-reasons-your-payment-hasnt-arrived-2020-04-27 Assuming my wife's green card application is eventually approved in the future, will there be a way to retroactively claim or apply for our stimulus check?

The pending I-751 is irrelevant......as my wife's I-751 is pending, and we received the $2400 stimulus.  I don't think Credit Karma is the issue either because your taxes were properly processed through the IRS (as evidenced by your receiving refunds) Did you enter all the information in the stimulus portal EXACTLY as indicated on your tax forms?  If you don't receive the $2400 stimulus now, you can claim it as a tax credit next year when filing your 2020 tax year returns.

Note:  The articles says "But if someone still has a green-card application pending, they may not be getting a stimulus check,....."  Your wife does not have a green card application pending......she is already a legal resident (green card holder).....

Edited by Lucky Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Turkey
Timeline
9 minutes ago, Lucky Cat said:

The pending I-751 is irrelevant......as my wife's I-751 is pending, and we received the $2400 stimulus.  I don't think Credit Karma is the issue either because your taxes were properly processed through the IRS (as evidenced by your receiving refunds) Did you enter all the information in the stimulus portal EXACTLY as indicated on your tax forms?  If you don't receive the $2400 stimulus now, you can claim it as a tax credit next year when filing your 2020 tax year returns.

I posted this on multiple forums pretty much everyone saying the I-751 is irrelevant, so you're probably right. I'm 99% sure I'm entering my info into the IRS portal correctly. Luckily we have lived at the same address since 2013, so it's not an issue with different addresses. Unluckily however, we live in an apartment which slightly complicates things. Anyway, I have tried entering our address exactly as it appears on our tax return and how it appears on the USPS address look up tool and no luck. If the worst case is we'll have to apply for a credit on next year's return, at least we'll eventually get it - I was scared that we wouldn't get anything at all!

Edit: I guess if the other possibility is that 1) the IRS doesn't have my banking info so they can't automatically do the direct deposit (despite the fact that I got my refund to my Bank of America account) and 2) I somehow keep entering my info wrong on the portal so I can't properly update the banking info, that would mean I would just get a paper check eventually?

Edited by Camboturk

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
1 hour ago, Camboturk said:

This year, I filed on February 1st and got the refund on February 12, so the IRS SHOULD have my banking info.

You filed early enough that there should be no hold up if your direct deposit refund came straight from the IRS. Some tax preps offered other ways to get refunds that channeled back through the tax prep company.

1 hour ago, Camboturk said:

I just read this link which seems to imply that people with pending green card applications may need to wait for their applications to be resolved first: https://www.marketwatch.com/story/why-havent-i-gotten-my-stimulus-check-yet-6-possible-reasons-your-payment-hasnt-arrived-2020-04-27 Assuming my wife's green card application is eventually approved in the future, will there be a way to retroactively claim or apply for our stimulus check?

I don’t see anything in that article that applies to you. There are people applying for initial greencards who are nonresident aliens and file a 1040X. Your wife is a LPR and your tax return was not for a nonresident.

You have some kind of glitch.  Don’t try the portal but once per day or it supposedly locks you out. Type in your info exactly as it appeared on you 2019 return. The stimulus will be on the 2020 tax return to collect if you don’t manage to collect early.

*** I realize this is a repeat, but I wrote it 45 min ago then paused to get my Starbucks mobile order in and forgot to actually post. 

Edited by Wuozopo

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Turkey
Timeline
4 minutes ago, Wuozopo said:

You filed early enough that there should be no hold up if your direct deposit refund came straight from the IRS. Some tax preps offered other ways to get refunds that channeled back through the tax prep company.

I don’t see anything in that article that applies to you. There are people applying for initial greencards who are nonresident aliens and file a 1040X. Your wife is a LPR and your tax return was not for a nonresident.

You have some kind of glitch.  Don’t try the portal but once per day or it supposedly locks you out. Type in your info exactly as it appeared on you 2019 return. The stimulus will be on the 2020 ax return to collect if you don’t manage to collect early.

Thanks, I'm glad most people seem to think that we're eligible, I was really worried somehow my wife's immigration status was the issue. As long as we get the stimulus eventually, I'm fine with that - in the mail would be even better so we don't have to wait until next year's tax season!

4 hours ago, Lucky Cat said:

Note:  The articles says "But if someone still has a green-card application pending, they may not be getting a stimulus check,....."  Your wife does not have a green card application pending......she is already a legal resident (green card holder).....

Not true.. i have pending green card and i received.. all resident aliens are eligible to get stimulus payment

7 minutes ago, Shroy123 said:

Not true.. i have pending green card and i received.. all resident aliens are eligible to get stimulus payment

All resident aliens with an SSN*

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
1 hour ago, Shroy123 said:

That’s what the referenced article from marketwatch said, not Licky Cat. The post you quoted is correct but it looks like you object to the whole post. 

😂 I have a name typo but I kinda like “Licky Cat”.😻🙀😼😹

Just for info for anyone else who might be wondering, and because I had been furiously googling and not finding an answer: I received my stimulus check the post yesterday.  I am an American living abroad and had filed my 2019 taxes (and 2018 back taxes) in February.  I do not have an online account with the IRS so I can only assume that they got my UK address off my tax returns.  I had wondered if I would get a check, but was not holding any hope out so it was a pleasant surprise.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

I applied for the stimulus check as a non-filer, my USC husband got his stimulus check before even filing for 2019 (he had nothing to file anyway and was denied ny IRS when he tried, since he lived abroad the whole year with me and didn't make any income in the US in 2019). 

As for myself, I went the non-filers route and am confused at the opposing messages I got. Can anyone help me?

The email states: Non-Filers: Enter Payment Info - Return Accepted

When I logging into the irs non-filers website, it gives me this: 

The IRS has rejected your federal return.

Here's the reason for the rejection:

'PrimarySSN' and 'PrimaryNameControlTxt' in the Return Header must match the e-File database.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline
45 minutes ago, BLM said:

Hi everyone,

I applied for the stimulus check as a non-filer, my USC husband got his stimulus check before even filing for 2019 (he had nothing to file anyway and was denied ny IRS when he tried, since he lived abroad the whole year with me and didn't make any income in the US in 2019). 

As for myself, I went the non-filers route and am confused at the opposing messages I got. Can anyone help me?

The email states: Non-Filers: Enter Payment Info - Return Accepted

When I logging into the irs non-filers website, it gives me this: 

The IRS has rejected your federal return.

Here's the reason for the rejection:

'PrimarySSN' and 'PrimaryNameControlTxt' in the Return Header must match the e-File database.

Were you a resident in 2019? You said you were living abroad for the whole year of 2019. When did you move? 

If you only moved in 2020, I don't think you qualify for Stimulus right now through the non filers.

Edited by Ayrton

38 minutes ago, Ayrton said:

Were you a resident in 2019? You said you were living abroad for the whole year of 2019. When did you move? 

If you only moved in 2020, I don't think you qualify for Stimulus right now through the non filers.

I wasn't, I got my CR-1 and entered Feb of this year, right before the covid craze. For the non filers application I used my old SSN with my maiden last name (from when I was on a J1 visa), the offices refuse to let me update my last name at the time until they reopen. I don't know if this is the reason they reject my application, or if it's rejected at all, it's confusing. 

Thanks for your help. 

2 minutes ago, BLM said:

I wasn't, I got my CR-1 and entered Feb of this year, right before the covid craze. For the non filers application I used my old SSN with my maiden last name (from when I was on a J1 visa), the offices refuse to let me update my last name at the time until they reopen. I don't know if this is the reason they reject my application, or if it's rejected at all, it's confusing. 

Thanks for your help. 

The non-filer instructions:

https://www.freefilefillableforms.com/#/fd/EconomicImpactPayment

Do NOT continue here if:

• You receive Social Security retirement, disability (SSDI), survivor benefits, Supplemental Security Income (SSI) or Veterans Affairs benefits. The IRS will automatically send you an Economic Impact Payment.
  • You have already filed a 2019 federal income tax return.
  • Your 2019 gross income exceeded $12,200 ($24,400 for a married couple) or other reasons require you to file a 2019 federal tax return.
  • You were married at the end of 2019 and are not submitting information here with your spouse.
  • You were not a U.S. citizen, permanent resident or qualifying resident alien in 2019.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline
10 hours ago, BLM said:

Thanks for your help. 

You're not allowed to use the non filers to get the early stimulus since you were not a resident in 2019. You're gonna have to wait until you file 2020 taxes in 2021 to receive your stimulus.

Hi, I came to the US on a K1 in October and got married to my spouse in November. My spouse filed the 2019 tax as Married filing single in February and has gotten the check. I got my SSN and EAD few days ago how do I claim my own part of the stimulus check. 

59 minutes ago, Versatile. said:

Hi, I came to the US on a K1 in October and got married to my spouse in November. My spouse filed the 2019 tax as single in February and has gotten the check. I got my SSN and EAD few days ago how do I claim my own part of the stimulus check. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.