adar24

SSN Card after arrival - not received more than 1 month later (IR5 visa)

80 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-5 Timeline
On 5/26/2020 at 2:08 PM, Lehcim said:

For what it's worth, I just received mine in the mail, 12 days after entering the US on my CR1. 

I received it on the address I filled in on the DS260, which is not my address but a temporary one where a relative lives. They addressed the envelope to me as well as the person who we designated on the DS260. 

Thanks for the post. Glad you got your SSN card. Welcome to the US.

On 5/19/2020 at 3:03 PM, razorontour said:

Just an update on this. Today I spoke to a really helpful lady at my local SSA card production center. She was able to find and give me my SSN over the phone. Turns out a card had been mailed to me but it was never delivered (and I didn't even know they had attempted delivery) because government documents are not delivered to mailboxes that do not have the name of the recepient written inside the mailbox (who knew?!). So to anyone who: applied for a SSN on their visa application form, lives in an apartment complex, entered the US more than 3 weeks ago and is still waiting for their SSN, do the following:

1) call your SSA field office (can be found on the SSA website) and ask for the number of your local card production center (if one exists).

2) Call the card production center and ask them to search for your record using your your USCIS/Alien registration number. It's important they search with that number in case your name has been entered incorrectly. 

Finally, make sure your name is written on a card somewhere INSIDE your mailbox.

Hope this is helpful to someone.

Thanks so much, this is really helpful. My mailbox has my name on it but not my wife's, so that must be the reason. Bumping the thread for anyone else in this situation.

21 hours ago, heretoreply said:

My SSA office could not find my wife in their database and was unable to search with a USCIS number. :(

I've had varying success with SSA staff. They definitely can search with an alien registration number at the card center (not the central SSA office). You just need to get the right person on the phone. It may well be that they don't have your details but at least you can then rule out the possibility of a misspelt name. 

On 6/4/2020 at 7:20 AM, razorontour said:

I've had varying success with SSA staff. They definitely can search with an alien registration number at the card center (not the central SSA office). You just need to get the right person on the phone. It may well be that they don't have your details but at least you can then rule out the possibility of a misspelt name. 

Thank you! I ended up calling 4 local offices. None of them were able to do a search using USCIS number, but one of them understood my request and we were able to get the SSN!

17 hours ago, heretoreply said:

Thank you! I ended up calling 4 local offices. None of them were able to do a search using USCIS number, but one of them understood my request and we were able to get the SSN!

That's great news, very happy to hear :)It's frustrating that you can't rely on an equal level of knowledge across the employees at these agencies. Trying to navigate the bureaucracy as a foreigner is just painful. 

7 hours ago, razorontour said:

That's great news, very happy to hear :)It's frustrating that you can't rely on an equal level of knowledge across the employees at these agencies. Trying to navigate the bureaucracy as a foreigner is just painful. 

Omg I think that totally depends where you are from! US is so much easier than where I come from haha.i especially laugh when I see people complaining about the DMV. 

Filed: IR-5 Timeline
On 6/5/2020 at 1:12 PM, heretoreply said:

No such luck for me. I contacted 4 local offices and none of their employees had any other response than "wait for offices to open, we cannot search for your SSN number and cannot give it to you on the phone". At least they were consistent with their response - so that's something ;) So, we are waiting for offices to open. 

• 1 month later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Syria
Timeline

Quick status update. We paid my in-laws' DS260 fees on 5/26 (definitely thought that we did it right after their visa approval, but I guess not). 2 months later and still no green cards. Called our local Social Security Office and the rep says that a social security card can't be issued with the Green Card in hand, which seems to contradict with what I'm seeing in this thread. 

K1 Fiance Visa Process
3/30/2011: I-129F sent
4/5/2011: NOA1 received from VSC
7/11/2011: consular services in Damascus suspended
8/3/2011: NOA2 received online via USCIS website
8/5/2011: NOA2 hard copy received
8/8/2011: transfer requests sent to Beirut, Ankara and Amman consulates
8/12/2011: NVC received case
8/21/2011: transfer request approved by Amman
8/23/2011: NVC approved case transfer, new case # assigned
8/25/2011: case mailed to consulate from NVC
9/4/2011: received by Amman consulate, Packet 3 received via email, interview scheduled
9/25/2011: INTERVIEW! Result: Request for further information
10/11/2011: Additional information sent
11/14/2011: Case placed into Mandatory Administrative Processing
3/20/2012: Embassy request for updated police certificate, civil record and medical exam
4/22/2012: Requested documents sent to Embassy
5/8/2012: VISA IN HAND!!!

Total time from petition to approval: 58 weeks
Total time in AP: 25 weeks

6/17/2012: POE @ JFK Airport
7/14/2012: Married in Rochester, NY (L)(L)

Adjustment of Status & Employment Authorization

9/24/2012: I-485 and I-765 sent, filed jointly

9/27/2012: NOA1 for I-485 and I-765 received from NBC

11/5/2012: Biometrics Appointment at Buffalo Field Office

12/14/2012: I-765 Employment Authorization Received (11 weeks from petition to receipt)

7/29/2013: Welcome Letter / Green Card notification received without interview (10 months from NOA1)

Removal of Conditions

6/30/2015: I-751 sent to VSC

7/10/2015: NOA 1 for I-751

8/6/2015: Biometrics Appointment at Buffalo Field Office
Thank God things moved along pretty well and I could stop keeping track of dates for a while...

N-400

2/13/2017: CITIZENSHIP CEREMONY

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline
On 7/21/2020 at 9:07 AM, mrsalfayad said:

Quick status update. We paid my in-laws' DS260 fees on 5/26 (definitely thought that we did it right after their visa approval, but I guess not). 2 months later and still no green cards. Called our local Social Security Office and the rep says that a social security card can't be issued with the Green Card in hand, which seems to contradict with what I'm seeing in this thread. 

Do you mean the immigrant fee ? DS260 fees are paid after I-130 approval  etc

Bold Part: So you should get it without green card in hand?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Chile
Timeline
On 7/21/2020 at 7:07 AM, mrsalfayad said:

do you mean without green card in hand? i think some may just don’t know that the stamp on your passport serves as a temporary evidence of you being a permanent resident. because they asked me for my green card too and when i said i didn’t have it yet they were like how can you be a permanent resident but don’t have a green card yet, so i said the stamp on my passport serves as temporary evidence of permanent residence while i wait for my physical card to arrive :)  

Similar experience here. I arrived nearly 4 weeks ago and have not received my ssn.

I called the central ssa office last week and they were able to confirm they had not received my file from uscis yet (they checked using my name and date of entry). I then called uscis to check,  and they told me it'd be forwarded to the ssa this week.

If yours is delayed,  try checking uscis what the status is on their end. I obviously don't have mine yet, so can't confirm if the information I received was accurate, but it may help.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.