mazenkanso

do we apply for benefits for immigrants

24 posts in this topic

Filed: FB-4 Visa Country: Lebanon
Timeline

hello guys,

hope you are all well and fine.

i just want to ask , i just arrived one months ago with bith my wife and daughter to the US.

My wife was about to star  work at a place and got approved but was delayed because of the corona outbreak, and i have started studying for real estate.

now are we entitled to any claim of goverment benefits?

we have received the social security card but the green card has not yet arrived since it takes 3 month.

any help would be appreciated.

please take care

Edited by mazenkanso

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Seems your wife was sponsored by her Sister, so your Sister would have completed an I 864. I know of no benefits for immigrants.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

2 hours ago, mazenkanso said:

Didn't you agree not to make such claims when you came to the US?  And didn't your sponsor agree that you wouldn't become a public charge?

Filed: Other Country: Saudi Arabia
Timeline
3 hours ago, mazenkanso said:

hello guys,

hope you are all well and fine.

i just want to ask , i just arrived one months ago with bith my wife and daughter to the US.

My wife was about to star  work at a place and got approved but was delayed because of the corona outbreak, and i have started studying for real estate.

we have received the social security card but the green card has not yet arrived since it takes 3 month.

any help would be appreciated.

please take care

Please see page 6 of 10 on the I-864 that your sponsor signed for you.  It is under “what does signing this affidavit require me to do”.

i-864-pc.pdf?download=1

Your sponsor agreed to provide you with support equal to 125% of federal poverty level which means that after your sponsor provides you with that you will not be eligible for any benefits because you will not need any.

Please ensure your sponsor fulfills their obligation.  They owe you over $27,000 a year for a household size of 3 to help you through this time.  Refer to this table for much your sponsor owes you.

https://www.uscis.gov/i-864p

Good luck!

Edited by Nitas_man

Timeline
7 hours ago, Nitas_man said:

Please see page 6 of 10 on the I-864 that your sponsor signed for you.  It is under “what does signing this affidavit require me to do”.

i-864-pc.pdf?download=1

Your sponsor agreed to provide you with support equal to 125% of federal poverty level which means that after your sponsor provides you with that you will not be eligible for any benefits because you will not need any.

Please ensure your sponsor fulfills their obligation.  They owe you over $27,000 a year for a household size of 3 to help you through this time.  Refer to this table for much your sponsor owes you.

https://www.uscis.gov/i-864p

Good luck!

thanks for clarifying this, but with Corona now everyone is affected, even my sponsor. They might be laid off work !

Timeline
1 minute ago, mazenkanso said:

thanks for clarifying this, but with Corona now everyone is affected, even my sponsor. They might be laid off work !

Being laid off does not excuse their legal obligations.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
8 hours ago, Jorgedig said:

Didn't you agree not to make such claims when you came to the US?  And didn't your sponsor agree that you wouldn't become a public charge?

i probably did so and so did my sponsor, but with the corona outbreak everything is upside down, my sponsor will be laid off and no one will be hiring anyone for work.

16 minutes ago, mazenkanso said:

i probably did so and so did my sponsor, but with the corona outbreak everything is upside down, my sponsor will be laid off and no one will be hiring anyone for work.

That doesn't excuse their legal obligation to sponsor you.  As far as I know, there has been no change in policy regarding means-tested benefits.

There are plenty of companies hiring in the retail sector.  All of the major grocery store chains are desperate for workers.

3 minutes ago, Jorgedig said:

That doesn't excuse their legal obligation to sponsor you.  As far as I know, there has been no change in policy regarding means-tested benefits.

Well, there is some leniency for actual preventative measures and treatment of COVID-19:

https://www.uscis.gov/greencard/public-charge

Alert: USCIS encourages all those, including aliens, with symptoms that resemble Coronavirus 2019 (COVID-19) (fever, cough, shortness of breath) to seek necessary medical treatment or preventive services.  Such treatment or preventive services will not negatively affect any alien as part of a future Public Charge analysis”

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Timeline
5 minutes ago, Jorgedig said:

There are plenty of companies hiring in the retail sector.  All of the major grocery store chains are desperate for workers.

yes you are right, some grocery stores are hiring as you mentioned, but they require green card numbers on applications and i have not received the card since it has been a month since i've been here and it takes upto 120 days for it to arrive. 

We will try to hangon and ride this, 

BE SAFE and thanks for your help

Edited by mazenkanso

Timeline

You have the stamp in your passport.

Just now, mazenkanso said:

yes you are right, some grocery stores are hiring as you mentioned, but they require green card numbers on applications and i have not received the cars since it has been a month since i've been here and it takes upto 120 days for it to arrive. 

We will try to hangon and ride this, 

BE SAFE and thanks for your help

I meant that more for your sponsor, who you said has been laid off.  Even without the current situation, you were always going to have to wait for the GC to arrive in the mail.

Timeline
5 minutes ago, Boiler said:

You have the stamp in your passport.

yes ofcourse i have the stamp on the passport, but they ask for green card number when applying for work, otherwise i cannot continue with the application form when applying for work.

i have recived the social security card but they say it is not sufficient and that i need the actual green card number.

on the passport, the visa stamp is an entry visa, and not a permanent visa.

Edited by mazenkanso

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.