TBoneTX

All We Have to Fear Is the MSM Itself

16 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Common sense, writ plainly.  Comments?

All We Have to Fear Is the MSM Itself

by Frank Miele

President Trump finally answered the concerns of millions of Americans on Monday when he tweeted: “WE CANNOT LET THE CURE BE WORSE THAN THE PROBLEM ITSELF.”

At that point, [...]

Continues here: https://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2020/03/27/all_we_have_to_fear_is_the_msm_itself_142788.html

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

It's a good article, 1/5th to 1/20th of the American population every year gets influenza, tens of thousands of sick people die every year with various influenza strains. It's a very similar and highly contagious disease. Yet, for this, people are wanting to send the economy to a grinding halt and just chaos everywhere, ignoring the cost to people's livelihood. It really does demonstrate the volatility of PR, the desire to cater to irrationality. Politicians are afraid of looking like heartless people, in today's PR world, catering to hysteria is seen as "caring", they're scared ****less of the media's hyper-partisan and coordinated industry-wide narrative driving and its destructive capability. They fear its effect on their "electability" (and all the moronic criteria used to quantify it) more than the unnecessary chaos. We need politicians with a spine.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

The second response above is more persuasive to me than the first.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

7 hours ago, TBoneTX said:

The second response above is more persuasive to me than the first.

TB I think everyone has tried with varying degrees of eloquence and expertise explained in almost every single thread on the subject that this is not the flu. At some point you just either believe it or don't. So I would direct you to chew on these two well-written topics as food for thought:

https://medium.com/@joshgans/health-before-wealth-the-economic-logic-9c5414ae259c

https://medium.com/swlh/a-war-footing-surfing-the-curve-f5ffe6134e37

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Eloquence, expertise, and titles are irrelevant.That's all for religion. Rationality matters. The virus itself is ridiculously similar to influenza, the way it spreads is the same, management of symptoms. The overwhelming difference is the PR. Causing panic and chaos (destroying economies, livelihood, raiding stores, fighting, and so on) is totally asinine and insanely disproportionate to what this is actually causing. Unfortunately because of the political environment, and general stupidity, people aren't approaching this with rationality. This is where a spine comes in handy, and very few politicians have one.

Edited by Burnt Reynolds

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

These numbers are interesting..  From Worldometer:  Currently, roughly 2% of active US cases are serious....

image.thumb.png.d364594252f65ee28b5636e5b937baa0.png

Edited by Lucky Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: O-2 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

Trump said of the coronavirus: "You can call it a germ, you can call it a flu, you can call it a virus, you know you can call it many different names. I'm not sure anybody even knows what it is."

Facts First: You cannot accurately call the coronavirus "a flu." They are, simply, different viruses with different characteristics, though they share some symptoms the coronavirus has a much higher mortality rate.

Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, said Thursday during an online chat with NBA star Stephen Curry that the coronavirus is "very much more transmissible than flu and more importantly, it's significantly more serious" -- with a mortality rate approximately 10 times higher than the 0.1% for the flu.

It's also obviously untrue that there is not "anybody" who knows what the coronavirus is. Though it was initially seen as a mystery virus when it emerged in China, we knew its genetic information by early January.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/27/politics/fact-check-coronavirus-briefing/index.html

Note: this is not msm contradicting the media, it is the head of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases AND a member of  the Presidents task force.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
20 minutes ago, 90DayFinancier said:

Trump said of the coronavirus: "You can call it a germ, you can call it a flu, you can call it a virus, you know you can call it many different names. I'm not sure anybody even knows what it is."

Facts First: You cannot accurately call the coronavirus "a flu." They are, simply, different viruses with different characteristics, though they share some symptoms the coronavirus has a much higher mortality rate.

Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, said Thursday during an online chat with NBA star Stephen Curry that the coronavirus is "very much more transmissible than flu and more importantly, it's significantly more serious" -- with a mortality rate approximately 10 times higher than the 0.1% for the flu.

It's also obviously untrue that there is not "anybody" who knows what the coronavirus is. Though it was initially seen as a mystery virus when it emerged in China, we knew its genetic information by early January.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/27/politics/fact-check-coronavirus-briefing/index.html

Note: this is not msm contradicting the media, it is the head of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases AND a member of  the Presidents task force.

The simple fact is that we have no idea what the mortality rate is on this one yet.  All the numbers are based on identified cases that are highly biased since only those being tested show some kind of symptoms and even those are showing only an approximate 15% positive rate. Yes, technically, this is not an influenza virus, but it is too early to tell if the effects are worse that the common influenza virus.

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

1 hour ago, Dashinka said:

The simple fact is that we have no idea what the mortality rate is on this one yet.  All the numbers are based on identified cases that are highly biased since only those being tested show some kind of symptoms and even those are showing only an approximate 15% positive rate. Yes, technically, this is not an influenza virus, but it is too early to tell if the effects are worse that the common influenza virus.

Mortality rate is already falling despite skyrocketing diagnoses, which we knew would happen months ago.

I think the sports analogy is a good one to look at. Look how often they play with the flu, they'll play through serious injuries, give themselves concussions which develop into permanent brain injuries that have led to suicides. Now suddenly a guy gets sick and touches microphones, as dumb as it is, and they shut everything down. 

Clearly PR.

This exaggerated reaction is likely recompense for the fact that we've spent a lot of time not taking general illnesses seriously and not caring about one another. However, the logical way to overcome underreacting (if thats a word) isn't overreacting. It's simply to, in general, work to stop the spread of influenza every year and be respectful of others' health.

Naturally, that's boring, and people hate taking personal responsibility when they can just blame other things instead. The same rationale behind why the populace re-elects corrupt people in Congress but blames Congress, money, anything under the sun, rather than their own choices and the logic behind it. Can literally watch society devolving in real time.

Edited by Burnt Reynolds

12 hours ago, Burnt Reynolds said:

It's a good article, 1/5th to 1/20th of the American population every year gets influenza, tens of thousands of sick people die every year with various influenza strains. It's a very similar and highly contagious disease. Yet, for this, people are wanting to send the economy to a grinding halt and just chaos everywhere, ignoring the cost to people's livelihood. It really does demonstrate the volatility of PR, the desire to cater to irrationality. Politicians are afraid of looking like heartless people, in today's PR world, catering to hysteria is seen as "caring", they're scared ****less of the media's hyper-partisan and coordinated industry-wide narrative driving and its destructive capability. They fear its effect on their "electability" (and all the moronic criteria used to quantify it) more than the unnecessary chaos. We need politicians with a spine.

They are both respiratory infections spread by droplet transmission. Both infections can make people very sick and they both can kill people. Beyond that, the pathology of both infections have more differences than similarities. 

People claiming this is "just like flu" may be book smart and they may be great at statistics and compiling information from aggregate sources, but I am certain they haven't seen what it looks like with people coming in to ER and getting admitted to hospital with these infections. If they do end up there, it will be an epiphany, and hopefully not one that came too late.   

Edited by Steeleballz

995507-quote-moderation-in-all-things-an

Filed: O-2 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline
2 hours ago, Dashinka said:

Wait, no idea?, There is a cone of uncertainty but we have some idea from Spain and Italy. If you do not delay the spread, your medical systems will get overloaded, and choices on who will live and die will be made. 

When people like the author of this article are criticizing the media, they are really trying to dispute facts. 

You can wish that the country will be"open for business" by Easter, but that will not make it so.  Facts are stubborn things.

2 hours ago, Dashinka said:

More than 50 doctors have died in Italy now from nosocomially acquired Covid-19. It would be interesting to see someone come up with the last time that happened with flu. My guess would be 1919.

995507-quote-moderation-in-all-things-an

The strains of yearly flu people tend to have some semblance of immunity toward. New/mutated strains result in more people getting sick, it means more die as well, then the number drops. Doctors as you mention are being exposed to a new pathogen. It's not too unlike when someone visits a new region and gets exposed to new germs, pathogens, etc., and they get sick. Doesn't necessitate the hysteria. It sucks, and we can learn things from it, and should take better care in general not to spread pathogens, but the idea of shutting things down isn't conducive to reason. The time to act on it if it were to be taken seriously was long ago and no one did. Furthermore, China helps ensure it spread across the globe, maliciously, as well, by facilitating ads telling people to behave in a way that helps spread the virus. Strangely those pitching hysteria don't seem to mind this much.

Edited by Burnt Reynolds