ameliar

Form I-944 Part 4 Items 2/3 - Evaluation of Equivalency

55 posts in this topic

Hey all!

My husband (British) and I are having a hard time figuring out how to go about getting his evaluation of equivalency and we have a few questions on how to get that, specifically as it pertains to form I-944 Part 4, Items 2 and 3.

First, does he need to include high school, or would his university degree suffice? Our train of thought was that he wouldn't need to include high school as he couldn't get into uni unless he was deemed capable and had completed all necessary prior education. Otherwise we are looking at tracking down each of his grades for secondary school which are distributed from various different companies, and we are already anticipating that will put us way past the 90 day window. It is challenging at this point now that he is here as he has an American phone number and no way of calling up the schools/companies, and god knows emailing takes forever. What should we do in this scenario? What have all of you done and how have you gone about it?

Secondly, what services have any of you used that you would recommend? We have looked at ECE and Educational Perspectives. Looking for any and all advice!

TIA!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

It just asking for education history. If your husband got any education( high school, college degree) , then just listed on that form. I think you just overthinking.

1 minute ago, H&T said:

It just asking for education history. If your husband got any education( high school, college degree) , then just listed on that form. I think you just overthinking.

Really? When we went over the form I-944 instructions it says:

"Foreign education should include an evaluation of equivalency to education or degrees acquired at accredited colleges, universities, or educational institutions in the United States. For a list of organizations that provide equivalency evaluation, see the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES)"

We were under the impression it is a new requirement now, but I'd be more than happy if we are wrong about it! Haha

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline
4 minutes ago, ameliar said:

"Foreign education should include an evaluation of equivalency to education or degrees acquired at accredited colleges, universities, or educational institutions in the United States. For a list of organizations that provide equivalency evaluation, see the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES)"

We were under the impression it is a new requirement now, but I'd be more than happy if we are wrong about it! Haha

The evaluation only need when your husband want go back to college in US. For that form, just fill out name of the school he attended in UK.

1 minute ago, H&T said:

The evaluation only need when your husband want go back to college in US. For that form, just fill out name of the school he attended in UK.

Thanks for the reply!

16 hours ago, H&T said:

This is my exact same problem, I have read this sentence about a million times and I'm still not sure what to understand from it : "Foreign education should include an evaluation of equivalency to education or degrees acquired at accredited colleges, universities, or educational institutions in the United States. For a list of organizations that provide equivalency evaluation, see the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES)"

It seemed to me that any foreign education I had, needed to have a documentation that shows what it equals here in US schools. I just wish I knew what they meant by it.

So this is per the i-944 instructions:

"Foreign education should include an evaluation of equivalency to education or degrees acquired at accredited colleges, universities, or educational institutions in the United States. For a list of organizations that provide equivalency evaluation, see the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES), at http://www.naces.org/members.htm."

Basically any education outside the US that is beyond a high school diploma needs to have an equivalency evaluation.

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Denmark
Timeline
On 3/12/2020 at 1:36 PM, ameliar said:

i read it like you and see it as a requirement.. but hope that H&T indeed is correct....

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/6/2020 at 9:38 PM, Rambava said:

Did any of you come to an understanding/agreement as to how to handle this part?

Yeah, we decided to go ahead and get an eval from ECE, but with all the COVID-19 stuff it probably won't get here in time before we have to submit our paperwork as the offices are not accepting new evals for the foreseeable future. So we are just having to play it by ear and include evidence of us trying our hardest to gather all supporting documents despite the challenges.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: India
Timeline
1 hour ago, ameliar said:

Yeah, we decided to go ahead and get an eval from ECE, but with all the COVID-19 stuff it probably won't get here in time before we have to submit our paperwork as the offices are not accepting new evals for the foreseeable future. So we are just having to play it by ear and include evidence of us trying our hardest to gather all supporting documents despite the challenges.

Thanks for the feedback! 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

On 3/12/2020 at 3:04 PM, ameliar said:

Hey all!

My husband (British) and I are having a hard time figuring out how to go about getting his evaluation of equivalency and we have a few questions on how to get that, specifically as it pertains to form I-944 Part 4, Items 2 and 3.

First, does he need to include high school, or would his university degree suffice? Our train of thought was that he wouldn't need to include high school as he couldn't get into uni unless he was deemed capable and had completed all necessary prior education. Otherwise we are looking at tracking down each of his grades for secondary school which are distributed from various different companies, and we are already anticipating that will put us way past the 90 day window. It is challenging at this point now that he is here as he has an American phone number and no way of calling up the schools/companies, and god knows emailing takes forever. What should we do in this scenario? What have all of you done and how have you gone about it?

Secondly, what services have any of you used that you would recommend? We have looked at ECE and Educational Perspectives. Looking for any and all advice!

TIA!

Hoping i won't jinx myself but i sent in all my forms without an equivelency but i did have copies of my GCSE's but didnt bring them over,.The night i was packing i even thought to myself should i bring them over, but thought what would i need them for? Anyway, i took pictures just in case and thats what i printed and used for my i944. My applications have been accepted and are being processed, so i will say at this point the equivelency isnt needed. My dilemma now is i had them sent over by registered post and its been lost in the post! so i'm hoping they dont RFE for the papers....

• 1 month later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ethiopia
Timeline
On 4/9/2020 at 8:46 PM, brainless69 said:

Hoping i won't jinx myself but i sent in all my forms without an equivelency but i did have copies of my GCSE's but didnt bring them over,.The night i was packing i even thought to myself should i bring them over, but thought what would i need them for? Anyway, i took pictures just in case and thats what i printed and used for my i944. My applications have been accepted and are being processed, so i will say at this point the equivelency isnt needed. My dilemma now is i had them sent over by registered post and its been lost in the post! so i'm hoping they dont RFE for the papers....

I find myself stuck at this section of the I-944. The AOS Packet is ready, just this one section has created confusion.

My wife is from Ethiopia and we have her certificates from the University and High School. Unfortunately we do not have the transcripts and the likelihood of the schools mailing them is pretty much an impossibility. I found International Education Evaluations LLC online and was able to scan the certificates for evaluation. Currently waiting to hear back from them. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ethiopia
Timeline
On 5/14/2020 at 1:27 PM, Pharoe40 said:

I find myself stuck at this section of the I-944. The AOS Packet is ready, just this one section has created confusion.

My wife is from Ethiopia and we have her certificates from the University and High School. Unfortunately we do not have the transcripts and the likelihood of the schools mailing them is pretty much an impossibility. I found International Education Evaluations LLC online and was able to scan the certificates for evaluation. Currently waiting to hear back from them. 

Hello! I have a very similar situation - the degree evaluation has been causing stress and confusion as we work through the AOS documents. My husband is from Ethiopia as well, and we have his documents but cannot figure out how to get the university to mail original official documents right now. I had just decided to ignore the suggestion to include the evaluation with I-944 yesterday, but now I am thinking about using International Education Evaluations LLC to scan the documents and get a "Provisional Evaluation" thanks to your comment. If you get any updates from them, please let me know!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.