ameliar

Form I-944 Part 4 Items 2/3 - Evaluation of Equivalency

55 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

Has anyone been in a situation of not including the high school diploma because of already including a diploma or transcripts for a higher degree? I have a foreign high school diploma, however I went to college in the U.S. for a few semesters and my transcript lists "Standard High School Diploma" under external degrees (since they had to accept my high school diploma in order for me to register for college). So I am considering relying solely on my U.S. college transcript as evidence of completing high school, because otherwise I would have to spend more time and money getting an equivalency for my foreign high school diploma.

Also, I plan on using these transcripts to prove my language proficiency because I took English classes during college, would that be alright, considering I am not a native speaker?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by MiloPR

On 9/25/2020 at 4:15 PM, Tony Xu said:

If you have all the original credentials with you, you may probably go with a NACES member. Otherwise, you may use a non-naces member like american education and translation service, who has the capability of validating the foreign credentials online. Alternatively, according to my attorney, if you know a US university professor who is willing to give you a recommendation for your foreign degree, he may also write a letter. 

What end up happening? Did they accept you evaluation American Education and Translation Services? I sent it to another place but they want to check with the University and I just know the University will never take the time to answer them.  

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline
On 11/28/2020 at 3:03 PM, MiloPR said:

Hi everyone,

Has anyone been in a situation of not including the high school diploma because of already including a diploma or transcripts for a higher degree? I have a foreign high school diploma, however I went to college in the U.S. for a few semesters and my transcript lists "Standard High School Diploma" under external degrees (since they had to accept my high school diploma in order for me to register for college). So I am considering relying solely on my U.S. college transcript as evidence of completing high school, because otherwise I would have to spend more time and money getting an equivalency for my foreign high school diploma.

Also, I plan on using these transcripts to prove my language proficiency because I took English classes during college, would that be alright, considering I am not a native speaker?

Thanks in advance.

I'm in a similar situation. I got my M.A degree from a U.S university but did my B.A and high school in my home country. I was able to find my B.A documents and got them evaluated, but I couldn't find any high school documents. I am going to submit the I944 with only my M.A and B.A evidence and write a note at the end of the form, saying my high school diploma is lost and the school cannot provide documents for me since I graduated 10 yrs ago, but to be admitted by an accredited university you have to have a high school diploma therefore by logic I have high school diploma.

• 1 month later...
On 11/10/2020 at 8:31 PM, Justin & Sara said:

Hello All,

My wife is going to get RFE for not submitting the education equivalency for her high school diploma and degree. She just got a notification in the USCIS app. What is the best and cheapest service to use to get this done?

Are you now sure it was an RFE for the education equivalency or did it turn out to be something else?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline
19 minutes ago, kkmk said:

Are you now sure it was an RFE for the education equivalency or did it turn out to be something else?

Yes because I didn't submit the education equivalency and health insurance. Once I submitted that for my wife, her status moved to "ready to schedule interview". Make sure you follow everything they ask for on the I-944 instructions and you will get approved. I learned the hard way lol.

Edited by Justin & Sara

1 minute ago, Justin & Sara said:

Yes because I didn't submit the education equivalency and health insurance. Once I submitted that for my wife, her status moved to "ready to schedule interview"

Damn hahaha I really didn't want to submit my education equivalency but now that you said you actually got an RFIE for it (first one i've seen here so far!) I might actually have to do something about it ahhhhh T____T which company did you use for the evaluation? were they good? 

Timeline
2 minutes ago, kkmk said:

Damn hahaha I really didn't want to submit my education equivalency but now that you said you actually got an RFIE for it (first one i've seen here so far!) I might actually have to do something about it ahhhhh T____T which company did you use for the evaluation? were they good? 

Yeah I understand lol, but you don't want to put yourself at risk for getting an RFE, so I recommend you to just give USICS everything they ask for. We used IEE to do it. We did the document report because it was $80 and that's all USCIS needed. It took about a week or 2 to get back because we did it the week of Thanksgiving last year. Here is the link to their website: https://www.myiee.org/furthereducation.php .

1 hour ago, Justin & Sara said:

Yeah I understand lol, but you don't want to put yourself at risk for getting an RFE, so I recommend you to just give USICS everything they ask for. We used IEE to do it. We did the document report because it was $80 and that's all USCIS needed. It took about a week or 2 to get back because we did it the week of Thanksgiving last year. Here is the link to their website: https://www.myiee.org/furthereducation.php .

thanks!!!

one last thing, did they ask for the original transcripts or did they accept a scanned version? and did they accept self translation? cuz really i'm not gonna pay for someone to do something i can do myself lol

Timeline
20 hours ago, kkmk said:

thanks!!!

one last thing, did they ask for the original transcripts or did they accept a scanned version? and did they accept self translation? cuz really i'm not gonna pay for someone to do something i can do myself lol

So, they wanted the original transcripts. My wife had her transcripts, but it was not sealed in a envelope with the school letterhead as they wanted it. In Brazil, they don't do it like that, so I just took the transcripts down to there office and they accepted it. I'm pretty sure you can do a scanned version of the original transcripts, but I would call just to make sure. I don't think so, you will need a certified translator to translate it. I would call to see if you can. Here is the translation service I used: https://www.languex.co/ I hope this helps!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Serbia
Timeline
Just now, Justin & Sara said:

So, they wanted the original transcripts. My wife had her transcripts, but it was not sealed in a envelope with the school letterhead as they wanted it. In Brazil, they don't do it like that, so I just took the transcripts down to there office and they accepted it. I'm pretty sure you can do a scanned version of the original transcripts, but I would call just to make sure. I don't think so, you will need a certified translator to translate it. I would call to see if you can. Here is the translation service I used: https://www.languex.co/ I hope this helps!

I used a translator, however I sent scans of transcripts - due to COVID, there was no way to obtain originals anyway, and I got what they called “provisional” translation. I haven’t gotten a RFE. Hope this helps.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.