MexicoExpat

Wife admitted to marijuana use in medical check up - consequences?

67 posts in this topic

9 minutes ago, MexicoExpat said:

Thanks for your reply. I'm guessing this happened in DR and not in Mexico based on the info below your name?

Do you mind me asking a couple more questions?

1. When did he say in the medical checkup the last time he smoked was? My wife's was 3 week's prior but does not remember the time before that it was so long ago - doctor seemed to believe that

2. Did you not receive a sealed packet after the medical check up like other patients? My wife did not and we thought that was a bad sign

3. Are you sure everything is OK and the green card will be granted? Or are you still worried there is is something within the medical report relating to weed which may become an issue?

4. Did they ask anything during the visa interview about marijuana use? Or is it possible they are unaware until they see the medical report?

We did our medical check up about 5 weeks before the visa interview, so hopefully in our case the results (whatever they are) will be available at the consulate by the time of our interview. 

Thanks in advance for your help. 

Yes it was in DR 

1. That i don't recall what was the last time he smoked but the doctor asked him how often do you, everyday, once a month. 

2. Well we don't know anything about the Medical results because we did it 2 weeks before our interview but the person who did interview us says that sometimes it's because something came out wrong on the exam she asked us and we were truthful with her and she explained things that can happen such as... Drug program or they will re test him. We were not denied. After our interview everything went well the only thing is that the medical result weren't ready when he receives it. He will have to mail it to the embassy with his passport after that its in God's hands . They are unaware but because he has tattoo she  thought that she should ask him that. 

I hope everything goes well trust me it kinda sucks when you don't get the right answers and you want to be with your love one traveling a lot is not easy 

1 minute ago, Boiler said:

My understanding is that Mexico is usually the 1 year, but she will not know until she has attended the Consulate Interview.

Yes, we have accepted this now at this point - 5 weeks until we find out how much this will affect us. We can only hope the doctor phrased in such a way in his report that it will not become an issue for us. 

With the 1 year ban plus additional processing time, plus immigration getting increasingly difficult, we aren't sure we can hang on another year and a half. 

We are also neither of living or applying form our home country, and not sure we will able to make this home for the next 1.5 years or not in the process. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Keep you fingers crossed and have a back up plan.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

The threads were merged on the basis of a member report.  The second thread was judged to be a continuation of the first.  It's typical for members to post in the same thread on similar-themed topics.

Thread is moved from the CR-1 Process forum to the Mexico/Latin/South America regional forum.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Is there any way to unmerge them back to how it was before? 

The Mexico regional forum here is not nearly as active aa the CR1 forum, and my original post is not even really related to Mexico.

I'm asking two separate questions here about the same issue. Having the entire thread in the Mexico forum is really not ideal. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

The thread can't be unmerged.  The merge was justified because the queries are on the same topic.

The move to the regional forum is justified beause the topic is country-specific.

You've received accurate answers from experienced members to the best of their ability to help you.  Certainly this is an anxious time for you, but you'll know the answers when you're told by the consulate.  Please return to the thread when you hear something.  Meanwhile, you can look through the "Waivers" forum for similar recent cases (don't post this query there) to see if you can gain a sense of what's happened to others in your situation.  Good luck.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

4 minutes ago, MexicoExpat said:

What would be difficult is we are already going crazy living here in Mexico City and need out ASAP. We can't commit to living here for another year, while having to check in with drug tests every month. 

In all honesty, this entire situation has caused us to rethink our plans, and we don't even really want to immigrate to the US any longer. If for some reason, this doesn't become an issue for is at ou interview in 4 weeks, we will still immigrate there....but if it gets delayed for a year pending drug tests and counseling, we really have no interest in living in the US any longer at that point.

Sorry I'm still traveling internationally and meant to chime in a few days ago.

Marijuana is still a federal narcotic regardless of any state law.

The consulate will have the final say on the drug issue.  I have been working with a few Mexican cases that had admitted drug use.  The only one that got a visa right away was one that said it was well over a year ago.   Others have gotten delayed with one or two tests or even monthly tests. The consulate will most likely want follow up testing.  They will also most likely cancel the B Visa with the admission of use.  This happens at POEs often when the question is asked.   Try to stay positive but have a backup plan.  You can keep the file open and move to another country and do the follow up plan.   Sometimes it is just another test in a year but could also depend on the consulate involved.  If you have an idea about what the backup is have your wife ask the CO to see if there would be any issues.

Do your research.  Having a denied and a revoked US visa can also limit the countries she can obtain residency in.

15 minutes ago, MexicoExpat said:

The only thing we would be concerned about at that point, would be the possibility of her being able to keep her current tourist visa or obtain another one. 

I'm kind of surprised Mexico City USCIS allowed the DCF with a tourist visa beneficiary.   I thought only Juarez played fast and loose with residency for the beneficiary.  Wherever you go make sure what the consulate requirements are for a third country national.

Best of luck - I'm traveling all day tuesday - a 27 hour day.

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

18 minutes ago, Paul & Mary said:

Sorry I'm still traveling internationally and meant to chime in a few days ago.

Marijuana is still a federal narcotic regardless of any state law.

The consulate will have the final say on the drug issue.  I have been working with a few Mexican cases that had admitted drug use.  The only one that got a visa right away was one that said it was well over a year ago.   Others have gotten delayed with one or two tests or even monthly tests. The consulate will most likely want follow up testing.  They will also most likely cancel the B Visa with the admission of use.  This happens at POEs often when the question is asked.   Try to stay positive but have a backup plan.  You can keep the file open and move to another country and do the follow up plan.   Sometimes it is just another test in a year but could also depend on the consulate involved.  If you have an idea about what the backup is have your wife ask the CO to see if there would be any issues.

Do your research.  Having a denied and a revoked US visa can also limit the countries she can obtain residency in.

I'm kind of surprised Mexico City USCIS allowed the DCF with a tourist visa beneficiary.   I thought only Juarez played fast and loose with residency for the beneficiary.  Wherever you go make sure what the consulate requirements are for a third country national.

Best of luck - I'm traveling all day tuesday - a 27 hour day.

Thanks for your response, it's been an incredibly stressful week for us, and no way to know how it will go until our interview in Juarez 4 weeks from now. 

Are you saying it could be a possibility for us to complete any required drug screenings or counseling elsewhere than CDMX? Everything I've read indicates that we need to visit the same medical exam office, which we did in CDMX. 

We are going absolutely crazy living in the city and really feel like we need to get out. We were thinking of heading over to Quintana Roo for a year or so if she received a ban. We could easily fly back to CDMX to do the medical exam after 1 year, but if it were monthly tests or regular counseling, it would be a lot more complicated. Unless we could do all of it in Quintana Roo or even another country. 

Also as clarification, my wife currently holds a B tourist visa for the US, and temporary residency in Mexico. We did not do this process with her having a tourist visa in Mexico. 

What we are really concerned about here is the possibility of her ever receiving a tourist visa again, if they revoke her current one and we decide that continuing on with the green card process is just too difficult. 

Timeline

I have never seen anybody move during the year, now logic suggests this must have happened and there is a procedure.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline
5 hours ago, MexicoExpat said:

Thanks for this info. Are you saying that of the 3 you kept in contact with, only 1 of them had this issue and this was the result? Or that all of them had this issue and only 1 had this as a result?

Yes, of the group, this is the only person who hac this result.

The other 2 were approved, but i do not know if they used marijuana in the past or not.

My wife nor I have never used it, so it had no effect on our case. 

There are beautiful places in Mexico,  My wife and I plan to move back there after she becomes a dual-citizen.  Then i will obtain dual-citizenship in Mexico.

The state of Hidalgo, and Veracruz are both beautiful states. me and my wife cant decide which one we will live in after her citizenship here in the US lol.  This is always another option to get out of the City.  When i first met my wiffe, she lived in Mexico City as well then moved to Pachuca Hidalgo.

And sorry, with using marijuana  4 weeks before the medical, I wouldnt expect a good outcome of the visa that doesnt include testing. 

NOTE: Black & Bold = Visa Related

02/16/2018: Met online on a mobile game called Guns of Glory

10/03/2018: I129f sent

10/05/2018: NOA1

02/26/2019: NOA2 

03/19/2019: NVC received

03/22/2019: NVC case # assigned

04/02/2019: Consulate received

08/21/2019: Medical - passed on vaccines so insurance can be used in the USA.

08/22/2019: ASC

08/27/2019: Interview -APPROVED!!!

09/11/2019: Entered USA through Chicago O'hare

09/20/2019: Married

10/09/2019: Filed AOS

11/12/2019: Biometric appointment

12/13/2019: RFE (birth certificate)

Total time spent together before K1 interview: 65 days.

Filed: Timeline
On 2/24/2020 at 7:17 PM, MexicoExpat said:

He told her "I don't think you're an abuser, but take this recommendation in case they want you to do something further after the interview. They might or might not."

This ^^^ is the important part of what you posted. The way it works is the Dr evaluates for drug abuse/addict issues. Now every Dr does things a bit differently but generally if the Dr determines one has an issue they refer them to a psych Dr for an additional evaluation. The psych Dr will then make a determination and give it back to the medical Dr who then advises the consulate of the resulting determination. Generally its a 1 yr period of random and scheduled testing before the Dr will sign off as all clear. The Dr does have flexibility though with this. There have been cases where the Dr only required 1-3 months or 6 months of testing before signing off. Sometimes the Dr will not send you to a psych Dr either but still impose a period of testing. 

But based on what you posted above the Dr stated they do not think she is an abuser- so if thats what they put in their report- basically they gave her an all clear in regards to drug use/addict issues then it shouldnt be an issue with the Embassy. Typically the Embassy will not override the Drs evaluation as the Dr is the trained professional qualified to make such a determination about someone being an addict or not. However if the Drs evaluation says she is not a user but recommends counseling the Embassy may require her to do said counseling before considering her to be 'all clear'. It would depend on whats in the medical report which you have no idea of knowing. I would suggest not offering  them a paper saying counseling was recommended because if that is not in the report you dont want to open a can of worms by presenting it.  

^^^Thank you for posting this. It is extremely reassuring to us, and hopefully we will be OK. 

There is one other thing I am now concerned about - I just did a paid consultation with an attorney specializing in waivers. 

He asked me what we wrote on our DS-260 for the question "Have you ever violated, or engaged in a conspiracy to violate, any law relating to controlled substances?"

We answered NO to this question. We now realize there is also a risk of her receiving a ban for misrepresenting information. We weren't intentionally trying to misrepresent information - she believed she was answering this question honestly as she didn't perceive trying marijuana a handful of times in her life to be a YES answer to such a severe sounding question. 

The attorney was suggesting we update the answer in our DS-260 to be YES so we can't be banned for misrepresentation. 

We are a bit suspicious he's suggesting this so we purchase his services beyond the consultation we paid for. He did admit that the more likely consequence would be the ban for past use and not for misrepresentation. 

Just wondering how likely of a risk the misrepresentation is - I'm not even sure how we would change the info on the DS-260. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
1 minute ago, MexicoExpat said:

^^^Thank you for posting this. It is extremely reassuring to us, and hopefully we will be OK. 

There is one other thing I am now concerned about - I just did a paid consultation with an attorney specializing in waivers. 

He asked me what we wrote on our DS-260 for the question "Have you ever violated, or engaged in a conspiracy to violate, any law relating to controlled substances?"

We answered NO to this question. We now realize there is also a risk of her receiving a ban for misrepresenting information. We weren't intentionally trying to misrepresent information - she believed she was answering this question honestly as she didn't perceive trying marijuana a handful of times in her life to be a YES answer to such a severe sounding question. 

The attorney was suggesting we update the answer in our DS-260 to be YES so we can't be banned for misrepresentation. 

We are a bit suspicious he's suggesting this so we purchase his services beyond the consultation we paid for. He did admit that the more likely consequence would be the ban for past use and not for misrepresentation. 

Just wondering how likely of a risk the misrepresentation is - I'm not even sure how we would change the info on the DS-260. 

Please be sure to update this thread after her interview.....your experience will be very valuable to others.......good luck.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline

A Misrep finding requires an I 601 and I would expect a similar time line assuming the one year delay  significant increased cost. Actually you could be hit with both, I assume the Lawyer recommended you update and that seems logical.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.