IsabelleFredrick

AOS interview before getting EAD - proof of marriage?

25 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: South Africa
Timeline

So it turns out Ill have my interview end of Feb, and my EAD will arrive in the mail most likely the same week, or a week later. 
There is so much I can't get together for my interview, without EAD. Frustrating.

Any ideas on what solid things I can take to interview? 

I can't get my name on the rental agreement (complicated story), don't have bills in my name or an account yet as I am not earning, don't have my drivers (waiting for EAD), so no car insurance, etc etc. The best I can do is get added to my husband's bank account, although in future we will most likely have seperate accounts as we both have kids from previous marriage and it is just simplest.
I have the secondary proof of marriage - photos, postcards sent to our address, christmas cards to us from family. What else can I take?

2 hours ago, IsabelleFredrick said:

So it turns out Ill have my interview end of Feb, and my EAD will arrive in the mail most likely the same week, or a week later. 
There is so much I can't get together for my interview, without EAD. Frustrating.

Any ideas on what solid things I can take to interview? 

I can't get my name on the rental agreement (complicated story), don't have bills in my name or an account yet as I am not earning, don't have my drivers (waiting for EAD), so no car insurance, etc etc. The best I can do is get added to my husband's bank account, although in future we will most likely have seperate accounts as we both have kids from previous marriage and it is just simplest.
I have the secondary proof of marriage - photos, postcards sent to our address, christmas cards to us from family. What else can I take?

Did he add you to his health insurance? Do you have renters insurance? How about any 401k accounts? My wife can’t be added to my lease, but she’s on my renters insurance. I have provided her with health and dental insurance through my job. I also put her on the bank account some credit cards and made her the beneficiary on all my 401k accounts. My interview is tomorrow. 

Timeline
5 hours ago, Zach2015 said:

Did he add you to his health insurance? Do you have renters insurance? How about any 401k accounts? My wife can’t be added to my lease, but she’s on my renters insurance. I have provided her with health and dental insurance through my job. I also put her on the bank account some credit cards and made her the beneficiary on all my 401k accounts. My interview is tomorrow. 

I have been added to his health and dental insurance, gym membership at same gym, registered at a marriage conference together at church. I have a family costco card with my name on it. That's about it. 

9 hours ago, IsabelleFredrick said:

There is so much I can't get together for my interview, without EAD.

Why?  That makes no sense.  EAD is simply a work permit.

Timeline
3 minutes ago, Jorgedig said:

Why?  That makes no sense.  EAD is simply a work permit.

Without EAD up until now, we have seen no use in getting me on bills or an account as Im not earning. Also can't get a DL so no car insurance/car. 

Edited by IsabelleFredrick

2 minutes ago, IsabelleFredrick said:

Without EAD up until now, we have seen no use in getting me on bills or an account as Im not earning. Also can't get a DL so no car insurance/car. 

I think you're not understanding something here:  EAD has NOTHING to do with getting you on the bills or anything.  That's on you as a choice.

Timeline
Just now, Jorgedig said:

I think you're not understanding something here:  EAD has NOTHING to do with getting you on the bills or anything.  That's on you as a choice.

I understand. Just has felt pointless getting on bills and opening an account when I am not earning yet. I hear you. 

Just now, IsabelleFredrick said:

I understand. Just has felt pointless getting on bills and opening an account when I am not earning yet. I hear you. 

Well, I would say that was not a good choice.  And California is a community property state, which means anything earned after marriage is jointly owned anyway, so why would you not be included on bank accounts?

Timeline
Just now, Jorgedig said:

Well, I would say that was not a good choice.  And California is a community property state, which means anything earned after marriage is jointly owned anyway, so why would you not be included on bank accounts?

Yup, got to agree with you *cringe. Will do what I can in the time left. 

Timeline
1 minute ago, Jorgedig said:

Would you say it's better to get my own bank account or be added to his? Both? We will be keeping our own accounts for the most part, but it may be better to show joint? 

1 minute ago, IsabelleFredrick said:

Yup, got to agree with you *cringe. Will do what I can in the time left. 

Maybe have your spouse begin reading VJ as well.....always helps when both parties understand immigration.

Just now, IsabelleFredrick said:

Would you say it's better to get my own bank account or be added to his? Both? We will be keeping our own accounts for the most part, but it may be better to show joint? 

Honestly, all adults should have a bank account.

I'm not sure, given your time till interview, whether it makes sense to do that now.  My husband and I have both separate and joint accounts.  We opened the joint one as soon as he had his SSN.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
57 minutes ago, IsabelleFredrick said:

The USCIS Officer interviewing you might see that as an excuse and not a reason. 

The officer is looking for proof of bonafide marriage. It doesn’t matter if you are working or not.  

As it turned out, the only account where I could add my wife was the gas/electric bill and that bill is auto paid from the joint checking account we opened.  

At the AOS interview the officer wanted to see evidence of joint accounts. He was very specific.  “Joint accounts”.  

Green card approved.  

Edited by Mike E

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

I added my husband as a "non-driver" on my car insurance right after we were married, just so it would be additional proof regardless of the fact he's not actually covered. That way, when I printed my dec page for his AOS interview it listed him on there (see screenshot at the bottom of this post). 

Are both your cell phone numbers on the same account? If so, include that in your proof. 

Joint health & dental is great, definitely make sure to bring proof of that. 

The things you mentioned like cards addressed to both of you, gym membership, and church conference are also good secondary evidence. Focus on what you do have and what you can get, and forget what you can't. Every marriage is different, but you need to bring everything you have that is representative of your marriage. If you have taken trips together after you were married, bring the reservations/itineraries etc. 

Go ahead and get added to his bank account. It'd be best to stay on his bank account at least until you are done with removing conditions, because they are going to want to see continuing co-mingling of assets. 

If he has credit cards in good standing, get him to add you as an authorized user. I added my husband to my Capital One card and my Discover Card and brought proof for both. (A great side-benefit of this - he now has a great credit score because both cards are now on his credit report). 

Here is a link to a post I made recently of everything we brought to the interview, as well as additional items that work as evidence (but didn't apply in our case): 

2020-02-17 14_45_33-DeclarationsPage.pdf.png

Edited by beloved_dingo

K1 to AOS                                                                                   AOS/EAD/AP                                                                      N-400

03/01/2018 - I-129F Mailed                                              06/19/2019 - NOA1 Date                                              01/27/2023 - N-400 Filed Online

03/08/2018 - NOA1 Date                                                    07/11/2019 - Biometrics Appt                                   02/23/2023 - Biometrics Appt
09/14/2018 - NOA2 Date                                                    12/13/2019 - EAD/AP Approved                               04/03/2023 - Interview Scheduled

10/16/2018 - NVC Received                                              12/17/2019 - Interview Scheduled                          05/10/2023 - Interview - APPROVED!

10/21/2018 - Packet 3 Received                                      01/29/2020 - Interview - APPROVED!                  OFFICIALLY A U.S. CITIZEN! 

12/30/2018 - Packet 3 Sent                                               02/04/2020 - Green Card Received! 

01/06/2019 - Packet 4 Received                                     ROC - I-751

01/29/2019 - Interview - APPROVED!                           11/02/2021 - Mailed ROC Packet

02/05/2019 - Visa Received                                             11/04/2021 - NOA1 Date

05/17/2019 - U.S. Arrival                                                     01/19/2022 - Biometrics Waived

05/24/2019 - Married ❤️                                                    02/04/2023 - Transferred to New Office

06/14/2019 - Mailed AOS Packet                                    05/10/2023 - APPROVED!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.