appreciatehelp

Hong Kong Embassy Rescheduling due to Coronavirus

27 posts in this topic

I really need your help! My fiance is devastated. She recently visited her family in Shanghai on 1/28 for the Chinese New Year while she was scheduled for her interview for 2/10. US has implemented a 14 day ban due to the coronavirus and when she went for her interview today, they were rude and kicked her out of the Embassy and only asked for her phone number. How long does it take for them to call her to reschedule the interview and how is able to enter the U.S. consulate without a letter since it passed her date now? I really need input if this has happened to you before as I am devastated as well. Thank you in advance for the help!!!

1 hour ago, appreciatehelp said:

I really need your help! My fiance is devastated. She recently visited her family in Shanghai on 1/28 for the Chinese New Year while she was scheduled for her interview for 2/10. US has implemented a 14 day ban due to the coronavirus and when she went for her interview today, they were rude and kicked her out of the Embassy and only asked for her phone number. How long does it take for them to call her to reschedule the interview and how is able to enter the U.S. consulate without a letter since it passed her date now? I really need input if this has happened to you before as I am devastated as well. Thank you in advance for the help!!!

you say she visited family for Chinese New Year? Indicating that she may not live in mainland China? But more so HK

You do realise many countries have imposed a 14 day quarantine for anyone who’s been there recently be it self quarantine or imposed by government ?

Has she actually been in quarantine given she was only there on the 1/28? Or did she cut this quarantine short? Noting that us embassies are considered as “American soil” and that HK is/isn’t best of chums with China at the moment? 

Id say she’s cut the quarantine short, potentially placing others at risk, no wonder they told her to leave.. 

Edited by Duke & Marie

AOS Journey

• I-485 etc filed 23 April 2020 
  • NOA1 I-485 June 3 2020 
  • NOA1 EAD 23 April 2020
  • Biometrics 5 Jan 2021
  • EAD approved 12 March 2021
  • Interview Completed 24 March 2021
  • EAD Card Received 1 April 2021  
  • Case under review 2 April 2021
  • New Card is Being Produced 25 September 2021
  • 10 Year Green Card Approved and Mailed 27 September 2021 🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌

It is the US Embassy in Hong Kong. She is currently living in Hong Kong but traveled to Shanghai to visit her family. The current rule states that she may not enter US for 14 days but she arrived back in Hong Kong on 1/28 so 14 days would be 2/11, which is 1 day away and is tomorrow. I'm afraid it will be pushed back substantially since they are slow in rescheduling. Has someone experienced rescheduling and how far the date is?

The 14 day rule was issued in 2/02 as well so she did not know and it is just unfortunate timing

2 minutes ago, appreciatehelp said:

It is the US Embassy in Hong Kong. She is currently living in Hong Kong but traveled to Shanghai to visit her family. The current rule states that she may not enter US for 14 days but she arrived back in Hong Kong on 1/28 so 14 days would be 2/11, which is 1 day away and is tomorrow. I'm afraid it will be pushed back substantially since they are slow in rescheduling. Has someone experienced rescheduling and how far the date is?

The 14 day rule was issued in 2/02 as well so she did not know and it is just unfortunate timing

I’m pretty sure the 14 day rule applied to anyone who’d been to mainland China recently not just those who had been > 02/02.. 

the prudent thing for her to have done would have been contact the embassy prior to her appointment and double check, before potentially exposing others to this virus.. it is highly likely this is frowned upon and may be raised at her next interview.. unfortunate timing is not an excuse for ignorance or desire to have her interview 

AOS Journey

• I-485 etc filed 23 April 2020 
  • NOA1 I-485 June 3 2020 
  • NOA1 EAD 23 April 2020
  • Biometrics 5 Jan 2021
  • EAD approved 12 March 2021
  • Interview Completed 24 March 2021
  • EAD Card Received 1 April 2021  
  • Case under review 2 April 2021
  • New Card is Being Produced 25 September 2021
  • 10 Year Green Card Approved and Mailed 27 September 2021 🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌

the embassy is considered US soil. i am sure for all of the people still working there, they are taking extra precautions. anyone visiting from anywhere in mainland China is subject to the quarantine. I would think that there wont be any rescheduling until they have more information or are able to take proper precautions, and the speed it is spreading makes it likely that it will be a while before she is able to get her interview rescheduled.

RoC sent 10/30/21

NOA 11/16/21

Check Cashed 11/18/21

Biometrics Waived 01/19/2022

Beware the fury of a patient man.- John Dryden

Political attempts to require that others share your personal truths are, in their limit, dictatorships.- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Moved from K1 Process & Procedures to US Embassy and Consulate Discussion.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

How does the process work from here? Her letter is now expired since the date will need to be rescheduled so how will she be able to enter the U.S. embassy? Also her police and health records will expire soon as well since the date will be pushed back as well. Is it possible that they reschedule in the next week or two as well? the i-129F expires in 02/29/20

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Hong Kong
Timeline

I think the best bet is to reschedule. The following is the message from the HK consulate. It provides information how to reschedule your appointment. 

"Urgent information for visa applicants regarding novel coronavirus: Any individuals with pending consular appointments who (1) were physically present within the People’s Republic of China, excluding the Special Administrative Regions of Hong Kong and Macau, within the last 14 days, (2) are experiencing flu-like symptoms, or (3) believe they have may have been exposed to the novel coronavirus, are strongly encouraged to postpone their appointments by at least 14 days.  There is no fee to change an appointment and visa application fees are valid for one year in the country where the fee was paid. For questions about rescheduling a pending consular appointment, please send an email to support-hongkong@ustraveldocs.com for specific guidance.  Information concerning rescheduling a pending consular appointment is also available at https://hk.usconsulate.gov/visas/."

Hope that helps, 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

My wife got this email last night. It looks like all of the interviews in China (region?) are being canceled regardless. We're in the same boat as you with the police reports. If the reports expire we'll most likely give up on her US visa.  It might be a good idea to contact your representatives for help. Maybe her case can be transferred to another location. 

Honestly there's probably nothing they can do but it beats calling NVC everyday. 

差出人: GuangzhouIVReply <GuangzhouIVReply@state.gov>
日時: 2020年2月10日 15:10:22 JST
宛先:
件名: GUZXXXXXXXXXX  Cancel Visa Appointment

Dear applicant,

Due to the evolving situation with the novel corona virus and the Chinese government’s response, U.S. Consulate Guangzhou is cancelling immigrant visa appointments the week of February 24.  We will resume routine visa services as soon as possible but are unable to provide a specific date at this time.

鉴于新型冠状病毒疫情的发展为配合中国政府开展相关工作,美国驻广州总领事馆将在224日这一周取消移民签证面试。我们将会尽快恢复常规签证服务,但目前无法提供具体的日期。

Sincerely,

Immigrant Visa Unit

U.S. Consulate General Guangzhou

This email is UNCLASSIFIED based upon the provisions of E.O. 13526 To respond to this email, use only the web form at https://china.usembassy-china.org.cn/visas/immigrant-visas/contact-us/immigrant-visa-unit-question/. E-mails sent via “reply” will not be received. 

I-130                                                                 I-129F

Spoiler

Mailed: Mar. 9, 2019 (Phoenix LB)              Aug. 9,  2019

Delivered: Mar. 12, 2019                               Aug. 12, 2019

NOA1/PD: Mar. 15,  2019 (LIN)                   Aug. 15,  2019

NOA2: Sep. 24, 2019 - Approved                 Sep. 24, 2019 - Denied 

I-130 sent to NVC: Oct. 8, 2019

Received NVC: Oct. 18, 2019

NVC Case#: Nov. 09, 2019 (Assigned to China, should be Japan )

AOS Submitted: Nov. 18, 2019

IV Submitted:  Dec. 23, 2019

AOS/IV Approved: Jan. 16, 2020 

Interview Scheduled: Jan. 23, 2020

Request location change: Mid Nov. 2019 --> Feb. 21, 2020

Contacted my Reps (House, Senate): Feb. 5, 2020 - Rep contacted Guangzhou & Tokyo. 

Response 1: Feb. 11, 2020 - Guangzhou gave copy/paste info to my Rep's office.

Response 2: Feb. 18, 2020 - Tokyo Embassy - Requested transfer fm China - Case moved to Administrative Processing 

A Short Time Later after talking with Rep. Case's office, they contacted the embassies again. 

Response 3: Feb. 21, 2020 - Transfer complete; New interview scheduled.

Interview Date: Mar. 2, 2020 - Tokyo Embassy 

Interview Result: Approved

Visa Issued: Mar. 4, 2020

Visa in hand: Mar. 6, 2020

Time: ~359 Days from start to finish 

POE:  Stupid COVID-19 delaying travel to the US....

POE: Aug. 13, 2020 - San Francisco 

SSN: Oct. 23, 2020

GC: Aug 5, 2021 (51 weeks from entry)

I-751

NOA1 - May 20, 2022 CA Service Center

NOA2 - July 20, 2022 Case Transfered to NBC

NOA3 - Mar 6, 2023 48 month GC extension letter

NOA4 - Sep 1, 2023 Biometrics Appointment 

Update - Oct 6, 2023 Case status update to show fingerprints taken  

:clock:

17 hours ago, appreciatehelp said:

With so much media coverage about the novel coronavirus, it is very surprising that she did not check the embassy's website ahead of time.

All you can do is watch the website and follow the posted instructions.  And hope that the HK consulate remains open.

1 hour ago, Jorgedig said:

With so much media coverage about the novel coronavirus, it is very surprising that she did not check the embassy's website ahead of time.

All you can do is watch the website and follow the posted instructions.  And hope that the HK consulate remains open.

I just checked the site and there really is no clear notice saying “hey don’t come here, we’re not honoring your interview appointments” At least not one that’s clear on the first page. On the “visas” tab it just has suggest news bulletins, the ones that appear for me are about suspension of entry and an announcement about new aid that is being sent from the USA, the “world’s most generous donor”. On the news tab, there are a few notices but nothing mentioning all visa interview candidates will be turned away. There is one mention of interviews being cancelled, but only on January 29th specifically. I can’t find the notice that was posted in the thread, but even that one just tells interview applicants they are “strongly encouraged” to reschedule interview. I would absolutely still attempt to make my interview after checking the website. 

~*INTENT IS DETERMINED AT POE*~

Forever wishing for an eye-roll reaction.

K-1 Visa~
9/28/2015 - I-129f Packet Mailed to Texas Lockbox
10/1/2015 - NOA 1 Email - I-129f sent to California Service Center
10/8/2015 - NOA 1 Hard Copy
10/27/2015 - NOA 2
11/21/2015 - Packet 3 Received
1/08/2916 - Medical! Lots of jabs >.>
2/23/2016 - APPROVED!
6/20/2016 - POE
7/29/2016 - Married ❤️

~*Approval 146 Days from NOA1*~

AOS ~
9/9/2016 - AOS/AP/EAD packet mailed to Chicago Lockbox
9/11/2016 - Delivered to Chicago Lockbox
9/20/2016 - Received Text/Email NOA1
9/23/2016 - Hard Copy NOA1s
10/12/2016 - Biometrics Appointment
11/04/2016 - AP Status "Approved" EAD "Date of Birth Updated"
11/18/2016 - Received EAD/AP Combo Card!
12/23/2016 - Received Green Card

~*Green Card 95 Days from NOA1*~

ROC~

10/12/2018 - Mailed ROC Packet

11/8/2018 - NOA-1 

7/5/2019 - Biometrics

~*STILL WAITING 607+ Days since NOA*~

4 hours ago, MorganandMichael said:

I just checked the site and there really is no clear notice saying “hey don’t come here, we’re not honoring your interview appointments” At least not one that’s clear on the first page. On the “visas” tab it just has suggest news bulletins, the ones that appear for me are about suspension of entry and an announcement about new aid that is being sent from the USA, the “world’s most generous donor”. On the news tab, there are a few notices but nothing mentioning all visa interview candidates will be turned away. There is one mention of interviews being cancelled, but only on January 29th specifically. I can’t find the notice that was posted in the thread, but even that one just tells interview applicants they are “strongly encouraged” to reschedule interview. I would absolutely still attempt to make my interview after checking the website. 

Then you must have missed it.  https://www.ustraveldocs.com/hk/index.html?firstTime=No

Urgent information for viUrgent information for visa applicants regarding novel coronavirus:sa applicants regarding novel coronavirus: Any individuals with pending consular appointments who (1) were physically present within the People’s Republic of China, excluding the Special Administrative Regions of Hong Kong and Macau, within the last 14 days, (2) are experiencing flu-like symptoms, or (3) believe they have may have been exposed to the novel coronavirus, are strongly encouraged to postpone their appointments by at least 14 days.  There is no fee to change an appointment and visa application fees are valid for one year in the country where the fee was paid. For questions about rescheduling a pending consular appointment, please send an email to support-hongkong@ustraveldocs.com for specific guidance.  Information concerning rescheduling a pending consular appointment is also available at https://hk.usconsulate.gov/visas/.

Entry of travelers who were present in China, excluding the Special Administrative Regions of Hong Kong and Macau, within 14 days prior to their arrival at a port of entry in the United States is suspended, per Presidential Proclamation. If you reside in China, have recently traveled to China, or intend to travel to China prior to your planned trip to the United States, we recommend you postpone your interview appointment until 14 days subsequent to your departure from China.

Edited by Jorgedig

21 minutes ago, Jorgedig said:

Then you must have missed it.  https://www.ustraveldocs.com/hk/index.html?firstTime=No

Urgent information for viUrgent information for visa applicants regarding novel coronavirus:sa applicants regarding novel coronavirus: Any individuals with pending consular appointments who (1) were physically present within the People’s Republic of China, excluding the Special Administrative Regions of Hong Kong and Macau, within the last 14 days, (2) are experiencing flu-like symptoms, or (3) believe they have may have been exposed to the novel coronavirus, are strongly encouraged to postpone their appointments by at least 14 days.  There is no fee to change an appointment and visa application fees are valid for one year in the country where the fee was paid. For questions about rescheduling a pending consular appointment, please send an email to support-hongkong@ustraveldocs.com for specific guidance.  Information concerning rescheduling a pending consular appointment is also available at https://hk.usconsulate.gov/visas/.

Entry of travelers who were present in China, excluding the Special Administrative Regions of Hong Kong and Macau, within 14 days prior to their arrival at a port of entry in the United States is suspended, per Presidential Proclamation. If you reside in China, have recently traveled to China, or intend to travel to China prior to your planned trip to the United States, we recommend you postpone your interview appointment until 14 days subsequent to your departure from China.

Didn’t realize that was the official embassy site.

Edited by MorganandMichael

~*INTENT IS DETERMINED AT POE*~

Forever wishing for an eye-roll reaction.

K-1 Visa~
9/28/2015 - I-129f Packet Mailed to Texas Lockbox
10/1/2015 - NOA 1 Email - I-129f sent to California Service Center
10/8/2015 - NOA 1 Hard Copy
10/27/2015 - NOA 2
11/21/2015 - Packet 3 Received
1/08/2916 - Medical! Lots of jabs >.>
2/23/2016 - APPROVED!
6/20/2016 - POE
7/29/2016 - Married ❤️

~*Approval 146 Days from NOA1*~

AOS ~
9/9/2016 - AOS/AP/EAD packet mailed to Chicago Lockbox
9/11/2016 - Delivered to Chicago Lockbox
9/20/2016 - Received Text/Email NOA1
9/23/2016 - Hard Copy NOA1s
10/12/2016 - Biometrics Appointment
11/04/2016 - AP Status "Approved" EAD "Date of Birth Updated"
11/18/2016 - Received EAD/AP Combo Card!
12/23/2016 - Received Green Card

~*Green Card 95 Days from NOA1*~

ROC~

10/12/2018 - Mailed ROC Packet

11/8/2018 - NOA-1 

7/5/2019 - Biometrics

~*STILL WAITING 607+ Days since NOA*~

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.