Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Besamiot

Fiance's children

27 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Hello everyone  Hope all of you are doing well. I have a question, though I'm not there yet. What will happen if we are approved and my fiance goes to embassy with all his children. They obtain visas but some children are unable to travel to the United states when the others come? We have 90 days to get married. What happens if they can only join us say 5 months after they obtain the Visa? Your input, please. Thanks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Denmark
Timeline

They don't all have to come at the same time, but they do have to come before the visa expires. The visa will be good for 6 months from the date of the medical. If they don't come to the US before then, then you will have to re-petition for them as a step parent after you get married


Our CR1 Journey:

 

USCIS Stage:

  • Feb 14 2019: NOA1 (NSC)
  • July 31 2019: I129f NOA1
  • Sep 19 2019: I129f NOA2 (Denied - 50 days from NOA1)
  • Sep 19 2019: I130 NOA2 (Approved - 217 days from NOA1)

 

NVC Stage:

  • Sep 27 2019: Sent to Department of State
  • Oct 31 2019: Case number received (34 days since sent)
  • Nov 1 2019: IV & AOS fees received & paid
  • Nov 14 2019: IV & AOS submitted
  • Dec 18 2019: All docs accepted, but one additional doc requested (5 weeks from submission)
  • Dec 18 2019: Requested doc submitted
  • Feb 19 2020: Documentarily Qualified (9 weeks from 2nd submission, 14 weeks from first submission)

 

Interview Stage:

  • Mar 11 2020: Interview letter received
  • Apr 1 2020: Interview date
  • Mar 17 2020: Interview cancelled due to COVID-19
  • August 3 2020: Rescheduled letter received, new appointment August 25 2020
  • August 25 2020: Visa approved at interview! (558 days from NOA1)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

K2's have a year to follow.


“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Besamiot said:

Hello everyone  Hope all of you are doing well. I have a question, though I'm not there yet. What will happen if we are approved and my fiance goes to embassy with all his children. They obtain visas but some children are unable to travel to the United states when the others come? We have 90 days to get married. What happens if they can only join us say 5 months after they obtain the Visa? Your input, please. Thanks. 

What is needed at my interview for a K2 who will follow later on?

 

You child(rend) is not getting a visa at this time so nothing is required for them.   As long as the child(rend) is listed on the I-129F they are good to go to complete their visa within the year of their mother's visa issue date.

 

FYI =  K-2 Follow to join must be completed within a year of your visa being issued.  If you don't get the K-2 visa ISSUED within that time frame means filing a separate I-130 petition (taking roughly 9 - 12 months)

Edited by Greenbaum

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

AOS March 5, 2014 Submitted AOS with EAD/AP package to Chicago USICS

Delivered March 8, 2014 AOS packaged delivered to USCIS drop box

Accepted March 19, 2014 Text message with receipt numbers

Biometrics April 16, 2014 Biometrics completed

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

TD May 23, 2014 Travel Document approved and went for card production

Receipt EAD/AP May 30, 2014 Received combo card EAD/AP

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Green Card received July 17, 2014 GC received without interview

Removal of Conditions

Mailed I-751 Dec 16, 2015 Submitted ROC (removal of conditions)

Received Dec 18, 2015 USPS notification of successful delivery

Check Cashed Dec 21, 2015 Check was cashed

NOA-1 Issued Dec 21, 2015 NOA-1 for ROC issued

NOA-1 Issued Dec 26, 2015 NOA-1 Received

Biometrics Appt. Jan 29, 2016 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled [Completed]

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

K2's follow to join have a year from the date of issue of the K1 visa and be in the US.   Make sure that they are listed on the K1 petition, etc.  

 

Watch the timing especially if the K1 has to return to travel with them.  The K1 needs to get married, file AOS and get an AP.


March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline
7 hours ago, LilyJ said:

They don't all have to come at the same time, but they do have to come before the visa expires. The visa will be good for 6 months from the date of the medical. If they don't come to the US before then, then you will have to re-petition for them as a step parent after you get married

Thanks a lot LilyJ. This sure helps. I wish you well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline
6 hours ago, Greenbaum said:

What is needed at my interview for a K2 who will follow later on?

 

You child(rend) is not getting a visa at this time so nothing is required for them.   As long as the child(rend) is listed on the I-129F they are good to go to complete their visa within the year of their mother's visa issue date.

 

FYI =  K-2 Follow to join must be completed within a year of your visa being issued.  If you don't get the K-2 visa ISSUED within that time frame means filing a separate I-130 petition (taking roughly 9 - 12 months)

Thank you Greenbaum.  His children's names were on the i-129F. I always thought they will go together with him to the embassy and possibly get their visas on the same day. Thank you always for your prompt input. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline
6 hours ago, Paul & Mary said:

K2's follow to join have a year from the date of issue of the K1 visa and be in the US.   Make sure that they are listed on the K1 petition, etc.  

 

Watch the timing especially if the K1 has to return to travel with them.  The K1 needs to get married, file AOS and get an AP.

Paul & Mary, so if I understand you, their father can go to the embassy with the children who can accompany him when he is coming, and then the rest of the children would go to embassy later? Because if the Visa is valid for 6 months, then they can't stay a year before coming. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Besamiot said:

Paul & Mary, so if I understand you, their father can go to the embassy with the children who can accompany him when he is coming, and then the rest of the children would go to embassy later? Because if the Visa is valid for 6 months, then they can't stay a year before coming. 

You need to be careful on the timing of the second group of kids.  The kids have to be in the US within the year that the K1 visa is issued.   Depending on the age of the kids and the requirements for them to travel alone, the beneficiary may have to travel with them.  Time to get married, copy of the birth certificate, and get the AP needs to be remembered in the process.   

 


March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline
1 hour ago, Paul & Mary said:

You need to be careful on the timing of the second group of kids.  The kids have to be in the US within the year that the K1 visa is issued.   Depending on the age of the kids and the requirements for them to travel alone, the beneficiary may have to travel with them.  Time to get married, copy of the birth certificate, and get the AP needs to be remembered in the process.   

 

Thanks again. This is a tricky situation. So if a Visa is issued their dad, say in May, all the children have to be here by year's end?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

**Moved from Progress Reports to Process & Procedures; hijack post and reply to said post removed.**


Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Besamiot said:

Thanks again. This is a tricky situation. So if a Visa is issued their dad, say in May, all the children have to be here by year's end?

No, let's try math again.   Let's say his visa is approved on July 1.   He would need to be in the US 6 months later (6 months from medical technically)  and all of the other derivatives would need to be in the US by June 30, 2021.

 

Is the second batch of kids old enough to leave and fly alone?


March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
- Back to Top -


Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
×
×
  • Create New...