Voice of Reason

Granddad of toddler who died in cruise ship fall knew window was open, Royal Caribbean says

13 posts in this topic

10 hours ago, ALFKAD said:

pretty clear he dangled the child out of an open window. case dismissed 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
4 minutes ago, Nature Boy 2.0 said:

pretty clear he dangled the child out of an open window. case dismissed 

I really don't understand how they think they can win a lawsuit against the cruise company.........I understand that it was an accident......but I don't see how the company is liable.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: Timeline
On 1/18/2020 at 9:58 AM, missileman said:

I really don't understand how they think they can win a lawsuit against the cruise company.........I understand that it was an accident......but I don't see how the company is liable.

It's America.  Everyone is sue-happy.  Terrible tragedy all around, and I am sure it will cause family problems down the road, but the cruise line is not culpable IMO.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
55 minutes ago, ALFKAD said:

It's America.  Everyone is sue-happy.  Terrible tragedy all around, and I am sure it will cause family problems down the road, but the cruise line is not culpable IMO.

But the cruise line will eventually offer up enough money to make them drop the suit. 

The attorney will be the big winner in this case.

If at first you don't succeed, then sky diving is not for you.

Someone stole my dictionary. Now I am at a loss for words.

If Apple made a car, would it have windows?

Ban shredded cheese. Make America Grate Again .

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Deport him and you never have to feed him again.

I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.

I went bald but I kept my comb.  I just couldn't part with it.

My name is not Richard Edward but my friends still call me DickEd

If your pet has a bladder infection, urine trouble.

"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow."

I fired myself from cleaning the house. I didn't like my attitude and I got caught drinking on the job.

My kid has A.D.D... and a couple of F's

Carrots improve your vision.  Alcohol doubles it.

A dung beetle walks into a bar and asks " Is this stool taken?"

Breaking news.  They're not making yardsticks any longer.

Hemorrhoids?  Shouldn't they be called Assteroids?

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

A man poked his head into a lawyer's office.

"How much do you charge for a consultation?" he asked.

"$900 for 3 questions," said the lawyer.

"Isn't $900 a little steep?" asked the man.

"No," said the lawyer.  "And what is your third question?"

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

On 1/18/2020 at 7:58 AM, missileman said:

I have read a few articles now where psychologist types suggest people can create a scenario like this because the guilt of what actually happened is too overwhelming. Possibly the grandfather actually believes it, and the parents are just following the grandfathers version of events. It may have been the first time anyone realized there was video.  

9 hours ago, TBoneTX said:

A man poked his head into a lawyer's office.

"How much do you charge for a consultation?" he asked.

"$900 for 3 questions," said the lawyer.

"Isn't $900 a little steep?" asked the man.

"No," said the lawyer.  "And what is your third question?"

Comedy is 90% timing, TBone.

995507-quote-moderation-in-all-things-an

Soooo....

I don't know if I ever mentioned it on this forum before but I am an active cruiser. And Royal Caribbean is my go to cruise line. My wife, before she met me, had never been on a cruise but is now absolutely crazy about cruising after she has been on a few. She was always afraid of being out in the water, but once we were on the ship, she was surprised on how safe she felt.

With that being said, I am active on a couple of cruising forums and since the day this story broke, most active cruise said the grandfather's story simply did not pass the smell test. There were people who were even on the same cruise ship that this tragedy happened and took pictures of the very window where it happened. Even then you could tell that there was no way a person could not tell the difference of the window being open of closed. 

Now, here are some other things that came out since this accident. I will put an asterisk on those that are not officially confirmed.

• The grandfather initially told authorities he lost his grip with the toddler. But then the story changed.
  • The area where the grandfather and child was, was the child area, but the window was in another area close to the child area.
  • The grandfather has been charged with child negligence by PR authorities.
  • The grandfather changed his story after obtaining a lawyer.*
  • The family is requesting the surveillance video be removed as evidence.*
  • The grandfather refused an alcohol test after the incident.*

If anyone that sees the video (and it is difficult to watch), you will see the grdfthr lean out the window before lifting the child and placing her out of it. It is extremely damaging evidence.

To @Steeleballz point, I think the family are struggling to grasp the concept of the grandfather doing something so idiotic and the grdfthr is effected mentally enough to where responsibility has been buried deep inside. And suing is a coping mechanism to place blame elsewhere.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

I attended some training today, and a new model of Toyota will prompt you to check the back seat and detect if anything is back there. This post isnt about that but..

I cant imagine any worse living hell than accidentally killing your own child. Not defending anyone, just saying I cant imagine the horror. I don't think I could go on living.

1 minute ago, Nature Boy 2.0 said:

I attended some training today, and a new model of Toyota will prompt you to check the back seat and detect if anything is back there. This post isnt about that but..

I cant imagine any worse living hell than accidentally killing your own child. Not defending anyone, just saying I cant imagine the horror. I don't think I could go on living.

People wouldn't wish something like that on their worst enemies. It why the police are treating him leniently. He really should consider taking the deal of no jail time.

995507-quote-moderation-in-all-things-an

19 minutes ago, Nature Boy 2.0 said:

I don't see the accident. I see a grown man deliberately lift the child out a window and for whatever reason, he's not holding the child anymore. The law will go by only what can be proven, but thankfully I'm not the law, this person committed homicide, was a deliberate act that led to the death of a child, possibly murder. If he wanted a person to go out the window should've thrown himself out instead. No mercy for evil people. No one with a kind heart does that.

Edited by Burnt Reynolds

20 minutes ago, Burnt Reynolds said:

I don't see the accident. I see a grown man deliberately lift the child out a window and for whatever reason, he's not holding the child anymore. The law will go by only what can be proven, but thankfully I'm not the law, this person committed homicide, was a deliberate act that led to the death of a child, possibly murder. If he wanted a person to go out the window should've thrown himself out instead. No mercy for evil people. No one with a kind heart does that.

Rather, to add an important point in.. before "lift the child out the window".. he, himself, prior to this, walks up to the window, casually LEANS out the open window (that was between waist and shoulder high, so probably 4-6'ish feet), before pulling himself back inside, grabbing the child (who was far smaller), lifting them up (shoulder high) and out the window, and at some point between then and the next minute, gone. Not an accident. 

Edited by Burnt Reynolds