2,317 posts in this topic

An update to my last post: interview is scheduled for October 8 - exactly one month’s time! Wasn’t expecting that at all.

One q: in the letter it has a list of documents it says to bring to the interview -  it includes proof of spouse’s (my) citizenship. In that list of acceptable documents it does not include the photo/info page of a US passport. This is the evidence of citizenship I’ve used throughout our immigration journey. Can anyone chime in if they’ve used their US passport as proof of citizenship at the interview? It just seems funny that it’s been acceptable this entire time but not at the final stage. I also wonder if they’ll actually look at it given that they already have many, many copies of it already.

Cheers all!

Married September 2015 in Canada after living with my now-husband for 2 years in Toronto
I-130 mailed from Toronto: 10/30/15
I-130 received: 11/3/15
NOA1 via email: 11/5/15 - case routed to CSC
NOA1 via snail mail: 11/17/15

NOA2 via email: 12/9/15!!!!!

NOA2 via snail mail: 12/16/15

NVC received case: 12/16/15

Case # and IIN over the phone: 1/4/16, assigned 12/29/15

DS-261 submitted and AOS fee paid: 1/4/16

DS-261 reviewed over the phone: 1/8/16

Sent AOS and IV documents, received and paid IV fee: 1/11/16

Scan date: 1/12/16

DS-260 unlocked and completed: 1/13/16

Case complete: 2/18/2016

Interview date: 4/12/2016 -- visa approved!

CEAC status issued: 4/13/16

Arrival in US: 4/29/2016 !!!!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
30 minutes ago, skeltzer said:

An update to my last post: interview is scheduled for October 8 - exactly one month’s time! Wasn’t expecting that at all.

One q: in the letter it has a list of documents it says to bring to the interview -  it includes proof of spouse’s (my) citizenship. In that list of acceptable documents it does not include the photo/info page of a US passport. This is the evidence of citizenship I’ve used throughout our immigration journey. Can anyone chime in if they’ve used their US passport as proof of citizenship at the interview? It just seems funny that it’s been acceptable this entire time but not at the final stage. I also wonder if they’ll actually look at it given that they already have many, many copies of it already.

Cheers all!

The following is from the check-off list of documents necessary as proof of spousal citizenship.  

If you are applying for naturalization on the basis of marriage to a U.S. citizen, send the following 4 items: 1. □ Evidence that your spouse has been a U.S. citizen for the last 3 years:

a. Birth certificate (if your spouse never lost citizenship since birth); or
b. Certificate of Naturalization; or
c. Certificate of Citizenship; or
d. The inside of the front cover and signature page of your spouse’s current U.S. passport.

The full list of documents required when applying using the N-400 form can be found at: 

https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/document/guides/M-477.pdf

8 minutes ago, skeltzer said:

Cheers all!

When Apple had her interview, I don't think they asked to see any documents. They just verified info on the application and went through the the questions from part 12 of the application (Communist, Nazi, terrorism, drugs, etc.) Then they asked the Civics questions.

She took originals of everything we submitted with the N400, including my passport and birth certificate.

The last line of the "You Must Bring" section of the appointment letter says: "If copies of a document were submitted as evidence with your N-400 application, the originals of those documents should be brought to the interview."

Naturalization Timeline

01/05/2020.......Filed N-400 online.

01/07/2020.......I-751 transferred from Texas Service Center to Lee's Summit.

01/31/2020.......Biometrics Appointment.

03/06/2020.......Interview Scheduled 04/16/2020.

06/16/2020.......Interview Rescheduled 07/08/2020

07/08/2020.......Approved

08/20/2020.......Oath Ceremony

N400 January 2020 filers spread sheet  https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1bxlnPL1_Ln6rGAZcTwEf6e-dNjQkBmr02wYi6baeIF0/edit#gid=0

9 minutes ago, gregcrs2 said:

The following is from the check-off list of documents necessary as proof of spousal citizenship.  

If you are applying for naturalization on the basis of marriage to a U.S. citizen, send the following 4 items: 1. □ Evidence that your spouse has been a U.S. citizen for the last 3 years:

a. Birth certificate (if your spouse never lost citizenship since birth); or
b. Certificate of Naturalization; or
c. Certificate of Citizenship; or
d. The inside of the front cover and signature page of your spouse’s current U.S. passport.

The full list of documents required when applying using the N-400 form can be found at: 

https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/document/guides/M-477.pdf

Thanks for your reply. The M-477 document is what raised my question in the first place because on the appointment letter it mentions a, b, and c but not d. I will send my spouse with both documents!

Married September 2015 in Canada after living with my now-husband for 2 years in Toronto

10 minutes ago, Rick & Apple said:

When Apple had her interview, I don't think they asked to see any documents. They just verified info on the application and went through the the questions from part 12 of the application (Communist, Nazi, terrorism, drugs, etc.) Then they asked the Civics questions.

She took originals of everything we submitted with the N400, including my passport and birth certificate.

The last line of the "You Must Bring" section of the appointment letter says: "If copies of a document were submitted as evidence with your N-400 application, the originals of those documents should be brought to the interview."

Thanks for sharing this! I'll send my husband with both documents. 

Do you guys think they may give you a sentence to write not on the writing vocabulary?
Like Abraham Lincoln instead of Lincoln.

I mean Abraham is not on the vocabulary sheet.

Can the officer still ask to write it even if not on the sheet?

1 minute ago, ShawnSpiker said:

Do you guys think they may give you a sentence to write not on the writing vocabulary?
Like Abraham Lincoln instead of Lincoln.

I mean Abraham is not on the vocabulary sheet.

Can the officer still ask to write it even if not on the sheet?

I don't think they would ask you to write a word that is not on the list. They might ask you to write an answer for a question that you don't know the answer.
My wife was asked "Which state has the most people?" She said she didn't know, but thought it was New York or California. The interviewer told her the correct answer is California, and she wrote it.

Naturalization Timeline

01/05/2020.......Filed N-400 online.

01/07/2020.......I-751 transferred from Texas Service Center to Lee's Summit.

01/31/2020.......Biometrics Appointment.

03/06/2020.......Interview Scheduled 04/16/2020.

06/16/2020.......Interview Rescheduled 07/08/2020

07/08/2020.......Approved

08/20/2020.......Oath Ceremony

N400 January 2020 filers spread sheet  https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1bxlnPL1_Ln6rGAZcTwEf6e-dNjQkBmr02wYi6baeIF0/edit#gid=0

On 9/8/2020 at 7:04 AM, dylan76 said:

I’m in Orlando Florida. Estimated completion time haven’t changed (October 2020) but now says “we are taking longer than usual to process your case”. Still says we reviewed your biometrics as case status. Anyone else  from Orlando? This process is taking a toll on my soul, nightmares every night. 

Hi, I'm going through Tampa and my estimated completion has entirely disappeared. I'm sure it's fiiiine. Previously it was July and then August before it disappeared. 

I am just thinking to change my name but I am not sure if it is a good idea and I don't know if it is going to help or have any advantage.

Did anyone change his name? is it a good idea?

Just now, Giovanna024 said:

Thank You everyone I got my passport. It took me only 1 week and 5 days since applying. 

I am finally DONE‼️‼️‼️

🥳🎈🍾🥂🥳🎈🍾🥂🥳🥂🍾🎈🥳🥳🇺🇸

Congratulations!!

Just now, Winterbeard said:

Congratulations!!

Thank You

Hope you will be done soon. 

01/14/2020 - filed N400 Miami FL

01/18/2020 - NOA Biometric scheduled 

02/05/2020 - Biometrics done 

03/13/2020 - Interview scheduled - canceled due Covid19

08/19/2020 - Interview 

08/27/2020 - OATH Ceremony MIAMI FL 

Done with USCIS  !!!! Good luck everyone!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Poland
Timeline
10 minutes ago, Giovanna024 said:

Thank You everyone I got my passport. It took me only 1 week and 5 days since applying. 

I am finally DONE‼️‼️‼️

🥳🎈🍾🥂🥳🎈🍾🥂🥳🥂🍾🎈🥳🥳🇺🇸

Congratulation!!!!! I am very happy for you! One week its nothing!

P.S. Make a copy of your documents, you never know :)

23 minutes ago, Adella2016 said:

Congratulation!!!!! I am very happy for you! One week its nothing!

P.S. Make a copy of your documents, you never know :)

Thank you so much. 

Oh yes I made it in color and black and white😁😁

01/14/2020 - filed N400 Miami FL

01/18/2020 - NOA Biometric scheduled 

02/05/2020 - Biometrics done 

03/13/2020 - Interview scheduled - canceled due Covid19

08/19/2020 - Interview 

08/27/2020 - OATH Ceremony MIAMI FL 

Done with USCIS  !!!! Good luck everyone!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Dominica
Timeline
46 minutes ago, Giovanna024 said:

I am finally DONE‼️‼️‼️

🥳🎈🍾🥂🥳🎈🍾🥂🥳🥂🍾🎈🥳🥳🇺🇸

Congrats 🎊 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.