59 posts in this topic

Just now, Fidel said:

Why????? Even when I'm physically there?? 

Because you haven't paid into Medicare.  You will have to purchase your own private health plan, or find a job that provides an employer-based plan.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline
1 minute ago, Jorgedig said:

Because you haven't paid into Medicare.  You will have to purchase your own private health plan, or find a job that provides an employer-based plan.

OH!!! Gotcha

1 hour ago, Quarknase said:

Totally agree with this. We're still early in the process and figured it will be enough to add him during enrollment period for 2021. After all the difference in monthly payments is a lot for someone who is not even allowed to enter on a tourist visa to visit, and therefore has no chance of actually using the insurance :)

I wouldn't buy an insurance they could not use. The obvious question being "Why did you buy that insurance?", and if the only answers revolve around immigration, well...

This may change a little if the healthcare proclamation ever goes into effect.

38 minutes ago, Nitas_man said:

There was not and still isn’t a specified qualifying event “spouse arrived in the US” that opens enrollment for them to be added whenever it is convenient, leaving the time between US arrival and next open enrollment as a gray and possibly highly risky area while waiting to be insured.

There certainly is a QLE for that. All ACA plans must offer a Special Enrollment Period (SEP) for changes in residence.

https://www.healthcare.gov/coverage-outside-open-enrollment/special-enrollment-period/

Changes in residence

Household moves that qualify you for a Special Enrollment Period:

• Moving to a new home in a new ZIP code or county
  • Moving to the U.S. from a foreign country or United States territory
  • If you're a student, moving to or from the place you attend school
  • If you're a seasonal worker, moving to or from the place you both live and work
  • Moving to or from a shelter or other transitional housing

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: Other Country: Saudi Arabia
Timeline
16 minutes ago, geowrian said:

I wouldn't buy an insurance they could not use. The obvious question being "Why did you buy that insurance?", and if the only answers revolve around immigration, well...

This may change a little if the healthcare proclamation ever goes into effect.

There certainly is a QLE for that. All ACA plans must offer a Special Enrollment Period (SEP) for changes in residence.

https://www.healthcare.gov/coverage-outside-open-enrollment/special-enrollment-period/

A question we were absolutely prepared to answer.  

“Added at marriage, like any other married couple does”.

At the time arrival in the US was not a qualifying event.  

Not on an employer policy anyway.  

Nita’s never attended an interview anywhere at any time without an insurance card.  It’s never been questioned, in fact it’s a positive.  With that in mind - You believe an uninsured immigrant sponsored by a medicare covered petitioner isn’t going to get sliced and diced?  

We moved zip codes last April.  My employer most assuredly did not offer open enrollment for that move.

Edited by Nitas_man

18 minutes ago, Nitas_man said:

At the time arrival in the US was not a qualifying event.  

Not on an employer policy anyway.  

If it's an ACA-compliant policy (nearly every employer plan must be now), then it certainly is a QLE. The rules are in the prior link.

A non-compliant plan would have resulted in owing a tax (in most circumstances) under the individual mandate (prior to that tax going away).

18 minutes ago, Nitas_man said:

Nita’s never attended an interview anywhere at any time without an insurance card.  It’s never been questioned, in fact it’s a positive.  With that in mind - You believe an uninsured immigrant sponsored by a medicare covered petitioner isn’t going to get sliced and diced?  

We moved zip codes last April.  My employer most assuredly did not offer open enrollment for that move.

Totality of the circumstances...IIRC, you have had a pretty strong case overall so I doubt they bat an eye. But for somebody who doesn't have that, it looks manufactured (solely for the purpose of immigration) IMO.

Of course open enrollment was not offered. Open enrollment are fixed periods (generally annually). I am speaking about a special enrollment period.

Unless your employer is exempt or it's a grandfathered plan (not sure if those even exist anymore?), a change in available plans due to a permanent move is a QLE (this doesn't mean every ZIP code change counts, but so long as at least 1 plan option differs, the QLE should apply). This includes any ACA-compliant plan on the exchange and off the exchange.

Note that this is different than the QLE for gaining lawful presence...that is an exchange-only requirement (employer-sponsored plans may or may not adopt it as well).

https://www.healthinsurance.org/special-enrollment-guide/how-your-big-move-can-trigger-an-sep/

A permanent move to a new area will generally trigger a special enrollment period (SEP) for people who already coverage prior to their move. As long as there are different health plans (QHPs) available in the new area, the SEP will apply. This is true even if your current plan is still available in the new area.

The SEP triggered by a permanent move also applies on or off-exchange, so you have a choice of where you get your new plan.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

~~~Hijack post removed; replies in this thread need to be answering the OP, not asking your own questions.~~~

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I am sure I am not alone in these sort of cases where we have been given a few bits and pieces and fill in the rest often using prior similar cases as a base, which may or may not be applicable.

Are there red flags a waiving obviously, may well be more positives we don know r even more negatives, quite what the outcome of the interview will be I would not like to guess.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Other Country: Saudi Arabia
Timeline
3 hours ago, geowrian said:

If it's an ACA-compliant policy (nearly every employer plan must be now), then it certainly is a QLE. The rules are in the prior link.

A non-compliant plan would have resulted in owing a tax (in most circumstances) under the individual mandate (prior to that tax going away).

Totality of the circumstances...IIRC, you have had a pretty strong case overall so I doubt they bat an eye. But for somebody who doesn't have that, it looks manufactured (solely for the purpose of immigration) IMO.

Of course open enrollment was not offered. Open enrollment are fixed periods (generally annually). I am speaking about a special enrollment period.

Unless your employer is exempt or it's a grandfathered plan (not sure if those even exist anymore?), a change in available plans due to a permanent move is a QLE (this doesn't mean every ZIP code change counts, but so long as at least 1 plan option differs, the QLE should apply). This includes any ACA-compliant plan on the exchange and off the exchange.

Note that this is different than the QLE for gaining lawful presence...that is an exchange-only requirement (employer-sponsored plans may or may not adopt it as well).

https://www.healthinsurance.org/special-enrollment-guide/how-your-big-move-can-trigger-an-sep/

2007 actually predates the ACA.  It was enroll or wait back then.

2012, 2018?  Aetna International was a US-managed (compliant) plan because we always got that tax statement at the end of the year. 

Given a choice, I always suggest it would be more favorable to show up at an interview sponsored, insured, and ready to move than show up with joint utilities and pest control.  A lot of things we add our immigrant spouses to ARE however for demonstrating blended households for immigration purposes and are not something we would necessarily normally do - for example joint utility bills etc who does that unless they have to.  We sure don’t anymore.  Some are mine, some are hers, whoever made the call.

Either way, you make good points and always bring a highly appreciated point of view to these threads.  👍

Edited by Nitas_man

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Nigeria
Timeline
7 hours ago, Jorgedig said:

This is incorrect.  You are not (nor will be) eligible for Medicare anytime soon, if ever.

Exactly... 

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Nigeria
Timeline
7 hours ago, Fidel said:

Thanks for your contribution... She is ready to move here whichever way the outcome of the interview... Moreso she has added me.... We shared credit card and also a beneficiary on her life insurance but Medicare won't allow her to add me on her Healthcare based on the fact that I have to be there in person 

I pray you are approved if she moves to Nigeria she will be uninsured. Medicare does not travel.... and for her to be on Medicare she is 65 years old and up.... 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

She could be disabled, I think Medicare kicks in earlier,

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
2 hours ago, Cheschirecat said:

I pray you are approved if she moves to Nigeria she will be uninsured. Medicare does not travel.... and for her to be on Medicare she is 65 years old and up.... 

Yes she's is disabled.... When she contact Medicare about her moving down to me, Medicare told her that their insurance does not covered outside state or go internationally and also she will have to pay back all they've spent on her which is much... She's not 65yet within the range.. That's one huge obstacle that can hinder her moving down here

Timeline
2 hours ago, Cheschirecat said:

Exactly what Medicare told her that if she moves down here or stay outside the state for more than 6month she will be uninsured and will have to pay back all they've spent on her 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.