laylalex

Recipes / British Election [split dual topic]

224 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
1 minute ago, yuna628 said:

Topomax has some pretty crazy side effects. Nearly made someone I know off themselves in a fit of hallucinating mania. Have you had the anemia rechecked since upping your intake? Extra iron has had no effect for me since the anemia is being caused by something else. Serum B12 and Vit D levels opened up the pandora's box for me but it's provided relief. Every woman in my family has the migraines, now I'm encouraging everyone to get checked, might be genetic.

Hmmmm

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

2 minutes ago, yuna628 said:

Topomax has some pretty crazy side effects. Nearly made someone I know off themselves in a fit of hallucinating mania. Have you had the anemia rechecked since upping your intake? Extra iron has had no effect for me since the anemia is being caused by something else. Serum B12 and Vit D levels opened up the pandora's box for me but it's provided relief. Every woman in my family has the migraines, now I'm encouraging everyone to get checked, might be genetic.

No side effects from the Topomax for me, though I was made very aware of the possibility of some bad ones. Sometimes my brain feels a little... pinchy (can't think of another word for it) when I first take it. But pretty much nothing else. I tolerate it well.

I have not had another checkup on the iron since the summer. Good idea -- I'm feeling rundown but I've been marking it up to the move and getting engaged and a lot of family BS going on. Might as well do it before the move next month since I'll need to find a new primary care provider down there, and I like the one I have here. Thank you SO much for the tips. Do keep encouraging family to check themselves-- migraines run in families. I'll be looking into the B12/D stuff too. 

6 minutes ago, Boiler said:

Hmmmm

Haha, no.😊

Aaaaand I've just been told that's enough internet for the day. Off to brunch with the fiancé and his boss, and his boss's boss, who is English and a Tory AND the one who moved my fiancé's job from SF to SoCal. This is going to be a laugh riot. 😖😂 can't wait to hear Boris's virtues praised...

25 minutes ago, laylalex said:

Aaaaand I've just been told that's enough internet for the day. Off to brunch with the fiancé and his boss, and his boss's boss, who is English and a Tory AND the one who moved my fiancé's job from SF to SoCal. This is going to be a laugh riot. 😖😂 can't wait to hear Boris's virtues praised...

Boris seems a bit swampy to me. 

I guess we'll see how much he bends over for the EU.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
20 hours ago, laylalex said:

with me where I start "seeing" songs as colors (I did not know that "Eleanor Rigby" by the Beatles is mahogany brown, or that Lizzo's "Good As Hell" is magenta until THAT migraine) or hearing people say something innocuous but also hear at the same time superimposed a double entendre of those words (very hard to explain, but it was funny!) -- are almost scarier than the pain. The pain I can deal with because I know it will end. The weird stuff makes me wonder if I'm going crazy and I'll never go back to "normal."

LSD?

If at first you don't succeed, then sky diving is not for you.

Someone stole my dictionary. Now I am at a loss for words.

If Apple made a car, would it have windows?

Ban shredded cheese. Make America Grate Again .

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Deport him and you never have to feed him again.

I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.

I went bald but I kept my comb.  I just couldn't part with it.

My name is not Richard Edward but my friends still call me DickEd

If your pet has a bladder infection, urine trouble.

"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow."

I fired myself from cleaning the house. I didn't like my attitude and I got caught drinking on the job.

My kid has A.D.D... and a couple of F's

Carrots improve your vision.  Alcohol doubles it.

A dung beetle walks into a bar and asks " Is this stool taken?"

Breaking news.  They're not making yardsticks any longer.

Hemorrhoids?  Shouldn't they be called Assteroids?

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.

If you suck at playing the trumpet, that may be why.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
9 hours ago, Neonred said:

LSD?

L ucy in the

S ky with

D iamonds

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

8 hours ago, TBoneTX said:

L ucy in the

S ky with

D iamonds

This one time at band camp....

22 hours ago, Neonred said:

LSD?

LOL, not LSD. :P Synesthesia is super-weird -- I'd always wondered what it would be like to "hear" or "smell" colors, and I got to know, if only for a few days. It was... creepy. And then when the migraine was all over, it went too, like a switch was flipped on and off.

The brunch was... interesting. It was, I think, kind of a "we're sorry for making you move" meal, at a seafood place right on the water in Berkeley. Lots of Laurent-Perrier and I had a Lavender Cosmopolitan, which was quite nice. Anyway, to stay on topic, the Boss's Boss was there along with the Boss, and he was of the opinion that the size of the majority in Parliament is likely to stem worries about governmental stability, and the Brexit flight out of London as a financial center will likely also slow down (without giving too much away, the company is in the financial sector), with an increased possibility of American investment. BB thought that Brexit was an inevitability that may be difficult in the short term and the company is making moves to shore up against those risks, but in the long term withdrawal from the EU would prove to be a benefit to the UK. I had to kick Alex several times under the table because he was clenching his fork and pointing it at BB (a bad habit of his) when discussing the losses that the company has already seen in terms of European talent. This has caused a knock on effect here in the US, since there were regular secondments from London to the US offices, and a number of solid performers from Germany and the Netherlands had already quit and moved on to roles at different companies within the EU, because they had families to consider -- who wants to uproot a family without sufficient warning -- and they didn't want to risk knowing that their right to live in the UK might be yanked without sufficient time to plan. So now there are open positions in the US (like this one he's moving to) that might have gone to another European colleague, but attrition means that new hires are going to be necessary. BB sees it as an opportunity to dig deeper into recruitment in the US and UK. I don't really have an opinion about any of it, because it really isn't my wheelhouse, though I think it might not be a bad thing to recruit American workers to work in America. Alex is lucky to have this job, and he knows it, so he's not going to rock the boat. 

The very worst part of it all was when I was chatting with Boss's wife, and we were discussing migraines as her daughter gets them as well. I mentioned what yuna had said about a possible link to vitamin B12 and vitamin D deficiency, and then BB (whose wife was not there) overheard and said, "What's this, Alex? Your bride-to-be isn't getting enough vitamin D? It's your responsibility to make sure she's getting enough D." Everyone was silent for a moment, and the men all laughed and Boss's wife and I agreed it was not very funny. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I suppose Laurent-Perrier is acceptable for brunch.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

7 minutes ago, Boiler said:

I suppose Laurent-Perrier is acceptable for brunch.

Absolutely -- and it was made more acceptable because I didn't have to pay for it. (I think everyone knows by now that I like free stuff.)

Timeline
3 hours ago, laylalex said:

The brunch was... interesting. It was, I think, kind of a "we're sorry for making you move" meal, at a seafood place right on the water in Berkeley. Lots of Laurent-Perrier and I had a Lavender Cosmopolitan, which was quite nice. Anyway, to stay on topic, the Boss's Boss was there along with the Boss, and he was of the opinion that the size of the majority in Parliament is likely to stem worries about governmental stability, and the Brexit flight out of London as a financial center will likely also slow down (without giving too much away, the company is in the financial sector), with an increased possibility of American investment. BB thought that Brexit was an inevitability that may be difficult in the short term and the company is making moves to shore up against those risks, but in the long term withdrawal from the EU would prove to be a benefit to the UK. I had to kick Alex several times under the table because he was clenching his fork and pointing it at BB (a bad habit of his) when discussing the losses that the company has already seen in terms of European talent. This has caused a knock on effect here in the US, since there were regular secondments from London to the US offices, and a number of solid performers from Germany and the Netherlands had already quit and moved on to roles at different companies within the EU, because they had families to consider -- who wants to uproot a family without sufficient warning -- and they didn't want to risk knowing that their right to live in the UK might be yanked without sufficient time to plan. So now there are open positions in the US (like this one he's moving to) that might have gone to another European colleague, but attrition means that new hires are going to be necessary. BB sees it as an opportunity to dig deeper into recruitment in the US and UK. I don't really have an opinion about any of it, because it really isn't my wheelhouse, though I think it might not be a bad thing to recruit American workers to work in America. Alex is lucky to have this job, and he knows it, so he's not going to rock the boat. 

Guess I have not been following too closely, but when I read this it struck close to home.  My stepdaughter and her husband (he's a Brit) both work in the financial sector for a London based company.  I'll have to search or ask my wife if she remembers the name of the company (she won't).  He has been in the US for at least 10 years working for them.  He started in Minneapolis and then was moved to southern California.  For the last 8 years or so he has been working in Boston.  Three days ago they flew to London as he is having meetings there this week and then they will spend the holidays with his parents.  When they visited us last month they told us they were considering relocating to England and had gotten the OK to do so.  Right now they have decided to wait until he gets his US citizenship so it will be easier to move bck to the US if they decide to.  Currently he has a green card and we all know what will happen if they move to England to live and work. 

Would be funny if it were the same company!  LOL

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Deport him and you never have to feed him again.

I fired myself from cleaning the house. I didn't like my attitude and I got caught drinking on the job.

21 minutes ago, Neonred said:

Guess I have not been following too closely, but when I read this it struck close to home.  My stepdaughter and her husband (he's a Brit) both work in the financial sector for a London based company.  I'll have to search or ask my wife if she remembers the name of the company (she won't).  He has been in the US for at least 10 years working for them.  He started in Minneapolis and then was moved to southern California.  For the last 8 years or so he has been working in Boston.  Three days ago they flew to London as he is having meetings there this week and then they will spend the holidays with his parents.  When they visited us last month they told us they were considering relocating to England and had gotten the OK to do so.  Right now they have decided to wait until he gets his US citizenship so it will be easier to move bck to the US if they decide to.  Currently he has a green card and we all know what will happen if they move to England to live and work. 

Would be funny if it were the same company!  LOL

That would be funny, but I think it's probably unlikely as his company doesn't have any operations in Minnesota. :) It will be a big change going from America to London (been there, done that) for your stepdaughter if she hasn't lived there before, but having a mobile lifestyle like it looks like she's had will help. I lived there when I was very young (20-21 and 23) and had only ever lived in two places (CA and RI) before, and it kind of blew my mind! But being older will help, and having family over there does too. Staying to get citizenship is SO worth it -- who knows what life will bring you. 

Timeline
17 minutes ago, laylalex said:

That would be funny, but I think it's probably unlikely as his company doesn't have any operations in Minnesota. :) It will be a big change going from America to London (been there, done that) for your stepdaughter if she hasn't lived there before, but having a mobile lifestyle like it looks like she's had will help. I lived there when I was very young (20-21 and 23) and had only ever lived in two places (CA and RI) before, and it kind of blew my mind! But being older will help, and having family over there does too. Staying to get citizenship is SO worth it -- who knows what life will bring you. 

Looks like the company is EYC or Symphony EYC.  Something like that.  Now known as Symphony RetailAL

Edited by Neonred

28 minutes ago, Neonred said:

Looks like the company is EYC or Symphony EYC.  Something like that.  Now known as Symphony RetailAL

No, not that one. He's on the quant side for a fund; he started at a big bank/investment manager (Goldman Sachs), and now has background in working in venture capital and hedge funds. That company looks pretty cool though -- AI for retail!