akfamilyjourney

Employer-sponsored Health Insurance

17 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi people!

We are about to get insured for the next year through marketplace.

My husband doesn't have any health coverage through work at the moment since he's been working per diem.

The plan is to get something more stable either full time or part-time at the beginning of next year.

My question is - will we be stuck with the insurance from the marketplace all the way until next year enrollment or there is a change to switch to something different through employment once my husband starts a new job?

Edited by akfamilyjourney

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
46 minutes ago, akfamilyjourney said:

Hi people!

We are about to get insured for the next year through marketplace.

My husband doesn't have any health coverage through work at the moment since he's been working per diem.

The plan is to get something more stable either full time or part-time at the beginning of next year.

My question is - will we be stuck with the insurance from the marketplace all the way until next year enrollment or there is a change to switch to something different through employment once my husband starts a new job?

Read it from the marketplace https://www.healthcare.gov/how-to-cancel-a-marketplace-plan/

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
12 minutes ago, akfamilyjourney said:

Thanks, but it doesn't answer my question

you can and the site posted walks you thru the process to cancel the plan 

Timeline
5 minutes ago, JeanneAdil said:

you can and the site posted walks you thru the process to cancel the plan 

i know i can cancel anytime. my question is if i can get a new insurance through work anytime during the year or it depents on what that particular job offers?

i heard about life qualifying event and that getting a new job is not considered a qualifying event for special enrollment. this is what confuses me

Timeline

"Any enrollment outside of that time has to be triggered by a qualifying event (QE). Although, many Americans find themselves in a rock in a hard place as they are outside of employment and believe that they can get coverage when they start their new job. Unfortunately a new job is not considered a qualifying event."

this is what i found online.

Timeline
2 minutes ago, DaveAndAnastasia said:

If your employer offers insurance, then the start date for insurance will depend on the job. Usually either insurance will start immediately with the job or (less commonly) after 30 or 60 days.

You do not need a qualifying event to start employer-based insurance with a new job.

So qualifying event and special enrolment period only applies if i get health insurance from the marketplace? employer-based insurance is a completely different story? thank you!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
49 minutes ago, akfamilyjourney said:

Thanks, but it doesn't answer my question

It says the following which indicates you can cancel if you get other coverage which was what you asked.

How to cancel your Marketplace plan

You may need to end your Marketplace plan if you get other health coverage, or for another reason.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
1 hour ago, akfamilyjourney said:

So qualifying event and special enrollment period only applies if i get health insurance from the marketplace? employer-based insurance is a completely different story? thank you!!!

Starting a job and getting set up with that employer's plan for the first time isn't special enrollment for employer-based insurance, it's normal enrollment.

You'd need a qualifying event to change employer-based insurance too, but not to get it in the first place.

When I started with my current job, I had private insurance because I was working as an independent contractor previously (basically similar to what you can get in the marketplace now, but this was before then). I canceled that, and started with my employer's plan.

Fast forward a few years and Anastasia comes to the US on a K-1 and we get married. That's a qualifying event, so I contacting my employer's HR department and updated my insurance to cover her too. When open enrollment came up this fall, I made some other tweaks to my insurance. To change my insurance before the next open enrollment period (my employer offers three different health insurance plans), we'd need a qualifying event.

K-1                             AOS                            
NOA1 Notice Date: 2018-05-31    NOA1 Notice Date: 2019-04-11   
NOA2 Date: 2018-11-16           Biometrics Date: 2019-05-10    
Arrived at NVC:  2018-12-03     EAD/AP In Hand: 2019-09-16     
Arrived in Moscow: 2018-12-28   GC Interview Date: 2019-09-25      
Interview date: 2019-02-14      GC In Hand: 2019-10-02
Visa issued: 2019-02-28
POE: 2019-03-11
Wedding: 2019-03-14

ROC                             Naturalization
NOA1 Notice Date: 2021-07-16    Applied Online: 2022-07-09 (biometrics waived)
Approval Date: 2022-04-06       Interview was Scheduled: 2023-01-06
10-year GC In Hand: 2022-04-14  Interview date: 2023-02-13 (passed)
                            	Oath: 2023-02-13

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
2 hours ago, akfamilyjourney said:

i know i can cancel anytime. my question is if i can get a new insurance through work anytime during the year or it depents on what that particular job offers?

i heard about life qualifying event and that getting a new job is not considered a qualifying event for special enrollment. this is what confuses me

a new job or any qualifying event such as marriage or birth of a child allows you to change nature of policy 

remember that a new job usually does not offer health care immediately /usually is a waiting period

make sure the new job is permanent as you can not get it back (in same year) if you drop it

as that site says you would have to wait for the new enrollment time to get market place policy again

and your question was " will we be stuck with the insurance from the marketplace all the way until next year "  and that is asking  if you can cancel /reason we all answered the way we did

No you will not be 'stuck' on a marketplace plan if you do not want it or are switching to a new plan.

For instance, I had a private plan. When my husband started his new job we switched over to his employer plan. Quite simple and just required signing the new paperwork and canceling the old plan. When the new coverage starts will depend on the employer plan.

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

7 hours ago, akfamilyjourney said:

Hi it will mostly depend on your new job HR's policies. Most of the time when I started a new job, I was allowed to enroll right away and the new insurance would start either the 1st of the next month or 30 days after. 

Filed: Other Country: Saudi Arabia
Timeline
15 hours ago, akfamilyjourney said:

So qualifying event and special enrolment period only applies if i get health insurance from the marketplace? employer-based insurance is a completely different story? thank you!!!

It works both ways.  If a person takes a new job, enrollment is automatically open with that company as being a new hire is a “qualifying event” for the coverage offered at that company.  It has nothing to do with the marketplace.

Once enrolled and covered under the employer insurance, the marketplace insurance can be cancelled.

Edited by Nitas_man

On 12/12/2019 at 1:59 PM, JeanneAdil said:

make sure the new job is permanent as you can not get it back (in same year) if you drop it

as that site says you would have to wait for the new enrollment time to get market place policy again

You can continue your coverage through COBRA after you lose your job. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.