27 posts in this topic

Hello, I traveled to USA as a tourist, I am from Germany, I have a B1/B2 Visa and can stay 180 days. My boyfriend made me a proposal to merry him now, so now we would like to stay together and merry here in USA and that I stay here with him. He is american citizen and he has a good job and earns enough money for now for both of us, I cant work. We contacted a lawyer and he said we should not merry now, we should merry after 90 days I entered the country and then merry and then submit our file. Does anyone have experience with this process and can give us few tips or any recommendations ? I appreciate your help and thank you!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
6 minutes ago, Yassy_07 said:

Hello, I traveled to USA as a tourist, I am from Germany, I have a B1/B2 Visa and can stay 180 days. My boyfriend made me a proposal to merry him now, so now we would like to stay together and merry here in USA and that I stay here with him. He is american citizen and he has a good job and earns enough money for now for both of us, I cant work. We contacted a lawyer and he said we should not merry now, we should merry after 90 days I entered the country and then merry and then submit our file. Does anyone have experience with this process and can give us few tips or any recommendations ? I appreciate your help and thank you!

You need to look around the  site.  Many active threads. 

https://www.visajourney.com/forums/forum/130-adjustment-of-status-from-work-student-amp-tourist-visas/

YMMV

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

How long have you been here?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Ah, the myth of the 90 day rule strikes again.

Your AOS will be adjudicated based on the case you present showing a bona fide marriage and if there are any inadmissibilities, not based on when you marry or file.

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

4 hours ago, geowrian said:

Ah, the myth of the 90 day rule strikes again.

Your AOS will be adjudicated based on the case you present showing a bona fide marriage and if there are any inadmissibilities, not based on when you marry or file.

Hi geowrian, thank you I understand.

Do you have experience or did you do this process of filing ?

I came here as a tourist visa and now we want to merry and I stay. I know normally I had to go back and file K1 visa from Germany, but what

if we decide to merry here and I stay here? Its a real marriage and we cant manage the distance. Does anyone have experience and did this process before ? How are the chances? Can they really deport me back ? What can we do to  make sure I can stay ?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
2 minutes ago, Yassy_07 said:

I came here as a tourist visa and now we want to merry and I stay. I know normally I had to go back and file K1 visa from Germany, but what

if we decide to merry here and I stay here? Its a real marriage and we cant manage the distance. Does anyone have experience and did this process before ? How are the chances? Can they really deport me back ? What can we do to  make sure I can stay ?

Hundreds of people on this site have done so successfully 

YMMV

Timeline

K1 is realtively unusual far more marry and adjust.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Just now, Yassy_07 said:

If you are already in the US, then intent alone is not a reason for denial of an I-485. Essentially, intent was determined at POE so it's no longer something to worry about. This was determined in various BIA rulings, mainly Matter of Cavazos and Matter of Battista.

Yes, they can deport you if they determine you are inadmissible. But if you have a valid marriage and no inadmissabilities (or none that can be waived), then there is not a reason to deny the I-485. As noted, your case will be adjudicated based on its merits, not preconceived intent.

I do not have personal experience with this (my wife did a K-1), but the topic is very widely discussed on this website with people doing it fine all the time (several cases a week at least).

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

1 minute ago, payxibka said:

Hundreds of people on this site have done so successfully 

really? the came as tourist and merry here and stayed and got greencard? I another forum which was for germans the recommend to go back to germany and not stay AOS, thats why I am a bit scared and want to make everything perfect. I want to be sure. Thank you, I hope so

Yes I am already in the US and we live togehter and my partner doesnt want me go back, and we wants to have a baby, so there is no decision for me to go back. I m just worried about doing everything well. Thank you so much for your response it really helps, thank you.

I also have the question, if my file is pending, so maybe they get me before my file ends a work permit that I can work in that time and also the permission to travel to see family and come back while my file is pending, right ???thank you so much

Timeline

Once you file then you can assume work authorization and travel permission in 6 months or so.

4 hours ago, Yassy_07 said:

I also have the question, if my file is pending, so maybe they get me before my file ends a work permit that I can work in that time and also the permission to travel to see family and come back while my file is pending, right ???

Nope.  You will have to wait 5.5-7.5 months for permission to work and to travel back to the US if you leave.

You need to think long and hard about what you want. I’m reading a lot of what your boyfriend wants - baby, marriage, etc - but he’s not the one who has to leave everything behind. If you marry and adjust now you cannot work for many months and you cannot leave the country for many months either. Since you came with no intention to stay, I am assuming you gave belongings still in Germany, a tenancy for your apartment that you need to terminate, a car parked at the airport waiting for you, a job to quit, pets (maybe), and so on. You cannot even go back to resolve those matters until you have your travel permit, which takes many, many months.

Alternatively you can marry now, start the process for the CR-1 visa, go back to Germany whilst that is being processed, see your family members, pack up your belongings, empty your apartment, sell your car, etc and then come back with your immigrant visa and have a green card immediately. This allows you to work from day one.

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

2 minutes ago, JFH said:

Since you came with no intention to stay, I am assuming you gave belongings still in Germany, a tenancy for your apartment that you need to terminate, a car parked at the airport waiting for you, a job to quit, pets (maybe), and so on.

It is crazy how so many people do not seem to have such responsibilities or ties to home when they go on vacation to the US.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.