wbeem

Valid Green Card not accepted as identification? Please help

45 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

https://www.wesh.com/article/selecting-a-title-company/4421907#

I was curious and started looking around online about this, and this is a good article from a local Orlando news site (where the OP and I are living). It seems the buyer can choose the title company, and says that many people aren't away of it. It also says that in 98% of real estate transactions in FL, the seller selects the title company. If you want to select the title company you should make that known at the start of negotiations. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Indonesia
Timeline
18 minutes ago, patrick33 said:

Interesting. In my case, the seller definitely picked the title company.. maybe I got screwed too lol. Good to know.

That law is strictly about title company insurance. If you didn't buy that, and the title company just served as the escrow officer, that's a different situation. In that case, yes, the seller tends to select the title company (at least that's been my experience too). 

Removing Conditions Timeline

Aug. 10, '17: Mailed in I-751

Aug. 21, '17: NOA1

October 23, '18: NOA2- approval

October 30, 18: 10-year GC received

Timeline
5 minutes ago, usmsbow said:

That law is strictly about title company insurance. If you didn't buy that, and the title company just served as the escrow officer, that's a different situation. In that case, yes, the seller tends to select the title company (at least that's been my experience too). 

Yes, this was the case, the title company served as the escrow officer. 

Timeline

~~Moved to Moving Here and Your New Life, from ROC - the Topic is about purchasing a house~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline
1 hour ago, Ontarkie said:

~~Moved to Moving Here and Your New Life, from ROC - the Topic is about purchasing a house~~

Thank you!  I was on the fence about posting there. Should have gone with my gut lol. Much appreciated

Lee & William

8/2/2014 - Sent I-129F Petition with USPS by Express Mail    
8/4/2014 - I-129F delivered to dropbox    8/6/2014 - NOA1 Text/E-Mail received    8/11/2014 - Alien Registration Number Changed (Text/E-Mail) / NOA1 Letter received by Mail    3/16/2015 - NOA2 Text/E-Mail received (224 days)    3/20/2015 - Sent to NVC    3/31/2015 - NVC Received    4/1/2015 - Case Number Assigned       4/7/2015 - NVC Sent to Embassy    4/10/2015 - London Embassy Received    4/11/2015 - Medical     4/15/2015 - Packet 3 Received    4/12/2015 - Packet 3 Sent    4/23/2015 - Packet 4 Received    5/18/2015 - Interview - APPROVED     5/30/2015 - Visa collected from courier    6/1/2015 - POE    6/14/2015 - Wedding 💍💍

Filed: Other Country: Saudi Arabia
Timeline
1 hour ago, wbeem said:

We are very confident about this.  Thank you for the reassurance.  

Our question was do we want to start all over with a new application and have our credit report hit hard tree times AGAIN within 8 weeks (we wouldn't get the same rate so there's a practical element to this) or do we want to fight it .... Honestly, when the stress has dragged out for so long it takes a lot of energy to make sure we are making informed, logical decisions and not emotional ones.  

But an UPDATE for all of you and a big thank you to all who responded. If I missed your reply it was not intentional.  I am deeply grateful for all the advice, experience and support shared on this thread.  

We moseyed our butts on over to the Title Co. today and I took ALL my USCIS things in the entire folder and said, "Right. This is what the federal government has on me to validate my ID. What do you need to make this work?"  

After a couple of hours (no kidding!) they accepted my GC with supporting docs and I ensured they got to see all my completed biometrics receipts. 

If I'm quiet for a while it's not because I'm abandoning the thread, but because my husband and I just seriously need some destress couple time right now. 

With heartfelt and sincere gratitude to all who contributed to my post. Happy Thanksgiving to each of you. ❤️

Excellent news.  Best of luck to both of you.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline
11 hours ago, wbeem said:

They want their docs to match. We've spent the last 6 weeks of our lives going back and forth about this and we aren't getting anywhere. I'm just so exhausted and frustrated. 

Get a state ID and you don't need to waste 6 weeks. Give them what they want, you would have been done 4 weeks ago...

It is still interesting because when we were in the same situation I couldn't get on the mortgage without a GC, but had no issues with the title using my DL.

Timeline
4 minutes ago, ineedadisplayname said:

Get a state ID and you don't need to waste 6 weeks. Give them what they want, you would have been done 4 weeks ago...

It is still interesting because when we were in the same situation I couldn't get on the mortgage without a GC, but had no issues with the title using my DL.

I get your point. 

I think part of the problem is the inconsistency. We HAD to have the GC for the initial part of the process. Because I couldn't check the USC box, the financial side insisted on GC. No issues. The mortgage was also no problem. The title ... that's where the shenanigans started.  

Lee & William

8/4/2014 - I-129F delivered to dropbox    8/6/2014 - NOA1 Text/E-Mail received    8/11/2014 - Alien Registration Number Changed (Text/E-Mail) / NOA1 Letter received by Mail    3/16/2015 - NOA2 Text/E-Mail received (224 days)    3/20/2015 - Sent to NVC    3/31/2015 - NVC Received    4/1/2015 - Case Number Assigned       4/7/2015 - NVC Sent to Embassy    4/10/2015 - London Embassy Received    4/11/2015 - Medical     4/15/2015 - Packet 3 Received    4/12/2015 - Packet 3 Sent    4/23/2015 - Packet 4 Received    5/18/2015 - Interview - APPROVED     5/30/2015 - Visa collected from courier    6/1/2015 - POE    6/14/2015 - Wedding 💍💍

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline
1 minute ago, wbeem said:

I get your point. 

I think part of the problem is the inconsistency. We HAD to have the GC for the initial part of the process. Because I couldn't check the USC box, the financial side insisted on GC. No issues. The mortgage was also no problem. The title ... that's where the shenanigans started.  

My rule of thumb when dealing with "idiots" is if I can get what they want easily and low/no cost for me I will just do it so they can shut up. It is an extra hoop to jump through but saves me stress.

Glad it worked out at the end!

Timeline
Just now, ineedadisplayname said:

My rule of thumb when dealing with "idiots" is if I can get what they want easily and low/no cost for me I will just do it so they can shut up. It is an extra hoop to jump through but saves me stress.

Glad it worked out at the end!

I LOVE this reply ❤️ 

And yes, you are right and we probably should have done that. The stress arose when they threw a ton of things at us the day before closing and we are right in a holiday week. But you are 100% correct.  

Lee & William

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline
17 hours ago, wbeem said:

I don't know which forum to post this in - please move as appropriate

As per the title: 
We're in the middle of a mortgage transaction. The underwriter of the title company stated that they will not accept my USCIS issued ID because (and I'm quoting this straight from an email!) "Immigration just puts down whatever name she tells them." 

I do not have a DL 
My passport with my visa is in my former married name and clearly I am not going to use that to go onto the title to a home I share with my loving husband. 

Is there anything I can print off/refer them to? We already sent them a state appropriate statute which they told us is "open to interpretation." 

I am so furious right now but I need something I can present to them.  

Thank you. Any advice appreciated 

PS I have conducted all my affairs, payroll, tax, bank accounts, travel etc with my GC. No issues.  

Odd. We bought our house before my husband naturalized and the bank had no problem accepting his green card as a form of ID. 

10 hours ago, usmsbow said:

I realize the problem is now resolved, but just for future reference, my wife works in the mortgage biz and said the following:

1. The title company is required, per the Patriot Act, to confirm your ID via two forms of ID. Green card obviously is one form. The other can be something like a utility bill, a credit card statement, etc. Just has to be something with your name and address on it. Does NOT have to be a driver's license or state ID (but it can be). A foreign passport does not suffice since a) it is foreign and b) does not have your US address on it. It sounds like in this case the title company lost its mind and wasn't clear on what the legal requirement was. 

2. You, the buyer/borrower, can shop around for a title company. You do not have to go with the one the lender (or home seller) is telling/suggesting you use. if buying, you should tell your agent that the selected title company is awful because of _____, and you'd rather go with someone else. It shouldn't be a problem.

Well they should already have a bill or statement of some kind. If you're getting a mortgage they probably already have copies of a bank statement and those would have your address on them. So, that and a green card and you're done. I just went through the process and they accepted my wife's green card no problem. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.