wbeem

Valid Green Card not accepted as identification? Please help

45 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Saudi Arabia
Timeline
6 minutes ago, wbeem said:

Is there any way we can confirm this?  

They are using the underwriter (talking about the title co here) to push back. THey will NOT tell us the name of the underwriter (the escrow closing agent told us this morning it's a company and refused to give us the information).  

Is this state specific?  I'm not questioning you at all. This may be very helpful. But I don't know how to present this information to them.  

One of you, either seller or buyer, picked this title company.

You must be referring to the title insurance policy here.

Title insurance has nothing to do with your identification. 

Timeline
9 minutes ago, JeanneAdil said:

copy this USCIS site and take to title office

if the government accepts these as formal ID , anyone should 

other than that ask the mortgage company to go with a new underwriting office or you will take your business elsewhere

https://www.uscis.gov/i-9-central/acceptable-documents/list-documents/form-i-9-acceptable-documents

and they call them underwriters here / maybe is wrong but that is what they are called

The seller usually purchases the title insurance policy for the mortgage company - it’s in the seller’s column at closing.  
Buyer’s ID has nothing to do with it.  It’s a guarantee by the seller of a clear title at sale.

Edited by Nitas_man

Timeline
26 minutes ago, wbeem said:

It's not like we went to some underground place to mortgage a house. This is the underwriter for the Title Company. I'm so furious! 

There are lots of shady title companies.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

@Nitas_man Thank you for all your advice. I'm a little slow in reading and taking it all in. I'm going to let my husband read the thread because my brain is fried and I haven't slept more than an hour or two per day in the last 2 weeks so my reflexes and ability to string coherent sentences together are suffering, to put it mildly.  

You have been extremely helpful. I'll get some fresh eyes to read through this (hubby :) ) and I will update you. 

There have been a lot of inconsistencies in this whole process throughout and it really irks me. 

It doesn't help that I'm a paralegal so I question validity of everything. Neither does it help that I'm just looking at an email sent from the title company which (inadvertently, no doubt) includes some inhouse discussion between them and the finance company wishing them "Good luck dealing with her!" (referring to me. I feel so disrespected. We're sitting here the day before a family reunion and Thanksgiving and I'm dreading having to put on a happy face. 

That's a lot of typing. All I want to say is thank you. You've been very helpful. 

Lee & William

8/2/2014 - Sent I-129F Petition with USPS by Express Mail    
8/4/2014 - I-129F delivered to dropbox    8/6/2014 - NOA1 Text/E-Mail received    8/11/2014 - Alien Registration Number Changed (Text/E-Mail) / NOA1 Letter received by Mail    3/16/2015 - NOA2 Text/E-Mail received (224 days)    3/20/2015 - Sent to NVC    3/31/2015 - NVC Received    4/1/2015 - Case Number Assigned       4/7/2015 - NVC Sent to Embassy    4/10/2015 - London Embassy Received    4/11/2015 - Medical     4/15/2015 - Packet 3 Received    4/12/2015 - Packet 3 Sent    4/23/2015 - Packet 4 Received    5/18/2015 - Interview - APPROVED     5/30/2015 - Visa collected from courier    6/1/2015 - POE    6/14/2015 - Wedding 💍💍

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline
17 minutes ago, Nitas_man said:

One of you, either seller or buyer, picked this title company.

You must be referring to the title insurance policy here.

Title insurance has nothing to do with your identification. 

We picked the finance for the loan. We did not pick the title co. We were not even aware we had an option with this. 

Lee & William

8/2/2014 - Sent I-129F Petition with USPS by Express Mail    
8/4/2014 - I-129F delivered to dropbox    8/6/2014 - NOA1 Text/E-Mail received    8/11/2014 - Alien Registration Number Changed (Text/E-Mail) / NOA1 Letter received by Mail    3/16/2015 - NOA2 Text/E-Mail received (224 days)    3/20/2015 - Sent to NVC    3/31/2015 - NVC Received    4/1/2015 - Case Number Assigned       4/7/2015 - NVC Sent to Embassy    4/10/2015 - London Embassy Received    4/11/2015 - Medical     4/15/2015 - Packet 3 Received    4/12/2015 - Packet 3 Sent    4/23/2015 - Packet 4 Received    5/18/2015 - Interview - APPROVED     5/30/2015 - Visa collected from courier    6/1/2015 - POE    6/14/2015 - Wedding 💍💍

5 minutes ago, Nitas_man said:

There are lots of shady title companies.

I agree. And based on their behavior here... I'd be extremely concerned with this deal moving forward. I'd be getting a lawyer or really, playing serious hardball and walking away. What is being done is illegal.

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I have had issues here in Florida as well with agencies not accepting green card or US passport. For example, when I applied to go to college here they needed to see state issued ID, but I guess that was also for tuition purposes.  When my wife changed her last name, the college wouldn't accept her US passport issued in her new name as proof, needed state ID. Unless you're dealing with a federal agency, they usually don't know what to do with a federally issued form of ID. Just my experience.

Timeline
1 hour ago, wbeem said:

We picked the finance for the loan. We did not pick the title co. We were not even aware we had an option with this. 

Really?

You choose the closing agent and put it in the purchase agreement before you ever make an offer on the home.

You’re getting screwed over.  Who put together the purchase agreement?  The closing agent is supposed to represent you, not act this way.  

Timeline
1 hour ago, wbeem said:

Usually the seller picks the title company. I bought here in Orlando, FL last year. 

Timeline
1 hour ago, geowrian said:

So they won't take the federally recognized ID of a green card. And they won't take the passport in the maiden name + a copy of the marriage certificate (a legal name change document)? Very shady...this is not the norm.

This sounds very shady

Timeline
1 minute ago, patrick33 said:

Usually the seller picks the title company. I bought here in Orlando, FL last year. 

The seller doesn’t pick the title company in any state.  Federal law prohibits it.

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/who-picks-title-company-real-estate-closing-beverly-bartley

Timeline
1 hour ago, geowrian said:

So they won't take the federally recognized ID of a green card. And they won't take the passport in the maiden name + a copy of the marriage certificate (a legal name change document)? Very shady...this is not the norm.

It was like this for my wife changing her name at school. They would only accept FL drivers license issued in her new name, would not accept US passport + certified copy of our marriage certificate. I was very surprised.

Timeline
3 minutes ago, Nitas_man said:

The seller doesn’t pick the title company in any state.  Federal law prohibits it.

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/who-picks-title-company-real-estate-closing-beverly-bartley

Interesting. In my case, the seller definitely picked the title company.. maybe I got screwed too lol. Good to know.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.