EliAnon

SSN K1 AOS

29 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Wife entered the US in March. We got married in May, didn’t apply for SSN two weeks after arrival. Now we are entering December without her having an SSN which means no insurance going on 9 months. While she needs to see some doctors, to me it seems asinine that immigrants who are married to a citizen are unable to have an SSN until the reception of their green card.

Unless there is another way to get it, which is my question for this topic. I would love to put her on my insurance at work which isn’t possible without an SSN. If there is no other way, then why not? Shouldn’t the government want to know who is here by assigning them a unique identification number? Especially when all signals point to that person becoming a US citizen.

Thank you.

SSN is not a requirement in either obtaining or maintaining health insurance by law.

Edited by yuna628

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
2 minutes ago, EliAnon said:

Wife entered the US in March. We got married in May, didn’t apply for SSN two weeks after arrival. Now we are entering December without her having an SSN which means no insurance going on 9 months. While she needs to see some doctors, to me it seems asinine that immigrants who are married to a citizen are unable to have an SSN until the reception of their green card.

Unless there is another way to get it, which is my question for this topic. I would love to put her on my insurance at work which isn’t possible without an SSN. If there is no other way, then why not? Shouldn’t the government want to know who is here by assigning them a unique identification number? Especially when all signals point to that person becoming a US citizen.

Thank you.

SSN not required,  I put on without.   

YMMV

you may need to inform the benefits group at your employer,  sometimes they assume. Contact the advocate at the insurance company for addition (call number on back of card). Where you might run into trouble is you are well past reasonable change in status (typically 90 days) for mid-term addition, they can force you to wait for an open enrollment period,

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Randyandyuni said:

you may need to inform the benefits group at your employer,  sometimes they assume. Contact the advocate at the insurance company for addition (call number on back of card). Where you might run into trouble is you are well past reasonable change in status (typically 90 days) for mid-term addition, they can force you to wait for an open enrollment period,

And open enrollment for the majority of us is right now and soon to close 

YMMV

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Haiti
Timeline

You do not need a SSN to obtain health insurance, I’m sorry you haven’t sought advice on this sooner. If it is open enrollment for your employer get her covered now! Otherwise you’d have to buy through the exchange.

Our K1 Journey    I-129f

Service Center : Texas Service Center   Transferred? California Service Center on 8/11/14

Consulate : Port au Prince, Haiti             I-129F Sent : 4/14/2014

I-129F NOA1 : 4/24/14                            I-129F NOA2 : 9/10/14

NVC Received : 9/24/14                          NVC Left : 9/26/14

Consulate Received : 10/6/14 CEAC status changed to ready

Packet 3 Received : 10/27/14 packet received by petitioner in USA ( beneficiary never received packet 3)

Medical: 10/30/14 Dr. Buteau                  Medical picked up: 11/3/14

Packet 3 Sent : 11/10/13.. Had to schedule interview appointment and attach confirmation receipt to packet

Interview Date : 12/1/14                           Interview Result : Approved !

Visa Received : 12/10/14 picked up at Jacmel location

US Entry : 12/15/14 Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Apply for Social Security Card: 12/30/14 Connecticut

Marriage: 1/26/15

Adjustment of Status

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Biometrics : 4/15/15

Approved: 8/31/15                                     Received: 9/8/15

EAD

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Approved: 6/12/15

Received: 6/20/15

Removal of Conditions I-751

Filed: 8/14/17 at VSC                                 NOA: 8/15/17 Received 8/21 by mail

Biometrics: Dated: 8/25/17   Received 9/2/17   Appointment 9/11/17 

Approved: 10/23/18 -no interview

Timeline
7 minutes ago, USS_Voyager said:

You need to call the insurance company and ask them what they do for newborn babies. It's the same thing. Newborn babies don't have SSN yet they're covered. 

Typically, newborns are covered for the first 30 days under moms policy until you can get them added 

YMMV

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
56 minutes ago, EliAnon said:

Thank you.

You have not filed for AOS (I-485) yet?  When you file the I-485 also file the I-765 (Employment Authorization) this is free to file when included with the I-485, you should get the EAD card in 4-6 months (with a little luck) with that card you can then get the SS card.

As for unique numbers, you wife has one .. it is her Alien Number  ;)  

As many already noted, you don't need an SSN for the health insurance.

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline
10 minutes ago, Hank_ said:

You have not filed for AOS (I-485) yet?  When you file the I-485 also file the I-765 (Employment Authorization) this is free to file when included with the I-485, you should get the EAD card in 4-6 months (with a little luck) with that card you can then get the SS card.

As for unique numbers, you wife has one .. it is her Alien Number  ;)  

As many already noted, you don't need an SSN for the health insurance.

We have filed for AOS, ill have to ask if she did that or not. As for Obamacare, I can file for that now but have specified on my new employment forms already that we aren’t on government healthcare(im starting my new job on December 2nd). Im going to call my employer and talk about it today. As for healthcare, it’s not a debilitating illness she has now or anything (though I want to get her in for checkups etc). Right now she is dealing with needing a Root Canal with a crown $$$. They have Dental at my new job, but once again; no SSN no Insurance.

Do you guys see my problem or is it still clear cut on what I need to do? Should I call the SSN office or? Idk this just sucks.

edit: just asked her, and she filed it with her AOS. I believe we sent it in around september, our daughters packet had an RFE which has since been sent back and the process continues. This really sucks.

Edited by EliAnon

Timeline
36 minutes ago, Luckycuds said:

You do not need a SSN to obtain health insurance, I’m sorry you haven’t sought advice on this sooner. If it is open enrollment for your employer get her covered now! Otherwise you’d have to buy through the exchange.

Yeah I know, I kind of did through FAQ’s and stuff to no avail. Me being fed up with it got me to post today. Im a new hire at a new job so its a qualifying event, im going to call them.

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
6 minutes ago, EliAnon said:

We have filed for AOS, ill have to ask if she did that or not. As for Obamacare, I can file for that now but have specified on my new employment forms already that we aren’t on government healthcare(im starting my new job on December 2nd). Im going to call my employer and talk about it today. As for healthcare, it’s not a debilitating illness she has now or anything (though I want to get her in for checkups etc). Right now she is dealing with needing a Root Canal with a crown $$$. They have Dental at my new job, but once again; no SSN no Insurance.

Do you guys see my problem or is it still clear cut on what I need to do? Should I call the SSN office or? Idk this just sucks.

edit: just asked her, and she filed it with her AOS. I believe we sent it in around september, our daughters packet had an RFE which has since been sent back and the process continues. This really sucks.

Good that she filed the I-765, should have that long before the green card .. and that allows you to get the SSN.

You only have 76 days from POE to apply for the SSN (up until two weeks before the I-94 expires), for now you will have to wait on the EAD card.

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline
6 minutes ago, Hank_ said:

Good that she filed the I-765, should have that long before the green card .. and that allows you to get the SSN.

You only have 76 days from POE to apply for the SSN (up until two weeks before the I-94 expires), for now you will have to wait on the EAD card.

That’s literally retarded (excuse my language). I appreciate your response and responses for answering my questions so quick. So when it comes to root canals, I just have to eat the cost so to speak. That’s great, our government is the best for a reason. Truly remarkable.

Timeline
1 hour ago, yuna628 said:

SSN is not a requirement in either obtaining or maintaining health insurance by law.

What about Dental? Im going to check the marketplace for health. Cause from what ive gathered from my 26yrs in this nation and anywhere really, as a civilization we don’t recognize dental as healthcare so to speak.

24 minutes ago, EliAnon said:

That’s literally retarded (excuse my language). I appreciate your response and responses for answering my questions so quick. So when it comes to root canals, I just have to eat the cost so to speak. That’s great, our government is the best for a reason. Truly remarkable.

Failure to apply for the SSN is the underlying issue and as many have said you don't need a SSN to get insurance. You might have to do it by phone (that's what I had to do) then update once the SSN is here.

4 years, 11 months, 2 weeks and 3 days

Citizenship Complete!

USCIS is like a box of chocolates, you never know what kind of answer you are going to get!!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.