Boiler

Dating A Democrat: How 2020’s Presidential Election Has Altered Romance in D.C.

182 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

https://wamu.org/story/19/11/15/dating-a-democrat-how-2020s-presidential-election-has-altered-romance-in-d-c/

Sam Rick says dating in D.C. was a little bit easier during the 2016 primary. There were basically two camps you belonged to as a liberal in the vastly blue city: team Bernie or team Hillary (and perhaps the occasional supporter of former Maryland Governor Martin O’Malley and his guitar).

But this campaign is different. A whopping 18 candidates are currently contending for the nominationWith so many choices, Rick says, “it’s surprising to me how dogmatic I am about my candidate and in seeking out partners that agree with me in this primary.”

Rick, 29, is firmly in Massachusetts Senator Elizabeth Warren’s camp. She supported Hillary Clinton during the 2016 campaign and says she was more willing to date a supporter of Vermont Senator Bernie Sanders back then.

She concedes she’ll occasionally go out with a Sanders supporter. But she says there’s a reason the odds are slim. “Nine times out of 10, it turns into a very big argument,” she sighs. “I’ve been on dates whereby the end of the night, it’s completely ruined. I know where it’s going to go — best to just avoid it.”

Rick is upfront now about what’s she’s looking for on dating apps—her Hinge profile says she’s seeking “a gregarious dork who’s really into small things and passionate about them and is also voting for Elizabeth Warren.”

She describes how she views dating various supporters of other primary candidates by placing the candidates themselves on a spectrum. “At one end are a variety of Republicans,” she says. “And then a little step beyond that and you’ve got [billionaire activist] Tom Steyer. And then you’ve got the lower tier people like [Hawaii Congresswoman] Tulsi Gabbard and [entrepreneur] Andrew Yang.”

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

It isn't so much politics that's ruining relationships in this sense, but that there's such excess emphasis on the "self" that more people are failing to grasp that in a relationship, you're not with yourself. You actually have to tolerate the fact that you and your partner, no matter how alike you are, will have plenty of differences, some very big, contentious differences. And that leaving someone over that isn't exactly a rational thing to do unless you plan on being single forever. They're apparently not getting past the dating stage and unable to cope, imagine what happens as time goes on and you learn more about the person, start dealing with actual problems or adversity.

Of course, I don't expect people in DC to grasp those values while they're busy basing their entire lives around political worship. Doesn't surprise me that they think this way. They're kind of off in a world of their own.

Edited by Burnt Reynolds

How much difference is there really between hardcore Sanders and Warren that their supporters would end up in a big argument with each other on a first date? If that's happening, it's not about the candidates -- it's about YOU. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
1 hour ago, laylalex said:

How much difference is there really between hardcore Sanders and Warren that their supporters would end up in a big argument with each other on a first date? If that's happening, it's not about the candidates -- it's about YOU. 

Apparently in DC it is different.  Heck, they even advertise their political choices in their dating app profiles.

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Who would date a Democrat,  unless she was hot in a slutty way. 

21 minutes ago, Bill & Katya said:

Apparently in DC it is different.  Heck, they even advertise their political choices in their dating app profiles.

They just understand that true love starts under the desk of your favorite octogenarian politician. 

4 hours ago, laylalex said:

I don't think it's a good sign if politics even comes up on the first date. 

995507-quote-moderation-in-all-things-an

4 hours ago, Nature Boy 2.0 said:

I don't know, I managed to get engaged to someone. 🤷‍♀️

5 minutes ago, ALFKAD said:

So... it's all about you again?

The question was

4 hours ago, Nature Boy 2.0 said:

And I had an answer. It's neither here nor there that I used myself as an example. 

51 minutes ago, laylalex said:

I don't know, I managed to get engaged to someone. 🤷‍♀️

Well then i will just leave that right there 

52 minutes ago, ALFKAD said:

Wait, are you saying you’re a democrat???

I thought that was very clear? :unsure: I've spoken several times about making donations to the various campaigns. 

Sorry if this was meant to be a joke, the wine may have deadened my sense of humor. 

Filed: Timeline
24 minutes ago, laylalex said:

I thought that was very clear? :unsure: I've spoken several times about making donations to the various campaigns. 

Sorry if this was meant to be a joke, the wine may have deadened my sense of humor. 

Well bless your heart, that explains a lot.

You, giving someone else's money to an organization which embraces and encourages taking money from others and redistributing it... who'd a thunk it?

5 minutes ago, ALFKAD said:

Well bless your heart, that explains a lot.

You, giving someone else's money to an organization which embraces and encourages taking money from others and redistributing it... who'd a thunk it?

and stealing Netflix