Deagle

N400 - No Selective Service + No Address Change

33 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Lebanon
Timeline

I am asking this for a friend who doesn't have access to VJ.

He entered the country when he was between 18 and 26 (Diversity Visa), but did not sign up for Selective Service. He also moved 2 times without reporting it to USCIS because he did not know that it was required. On his N400 application however, he did write down his previous addresses and answered No for Selective Service. He got his interview letter, it will be 2 weeks from now.  On the letter they asked him to bring with him a proof of SS registry. He told me that he did not know much English when he came in, and after finding a job, he went to language school for 2 years. He wants to bring the certificate of his English classes as a proof that he wasn't aware because he did not understand English, and that he was learning while working.

What are the possible scenarios here?

Thank you

The immigration process caused me PTSD.

21 minutes ago, Deagle said:

He wants to bring the certificate of his English classes as a proof that he wasn't aware because he did not understand English, and that he was learning while working.

That's not a defense. Usually, the "I don't know", "I didn't know" defense doesn't work very well in this situation because their response would be "we don't care". 

21 minutes ago, Deagle said:

There are only two possible scenarios: if he's under 31, they will deny his N-400. If he's 31 or over, there is no problem. 

This is a very good article: https://citizenpath.com/failing-register-selective-service/

Edited by USS_Voyager

Timeline
10 minutes ago, USS_Voyager said:

That's not a defense. Usually, the "I don't know", "I didn't know" defense doesn't work very well in this situation. 

There are only two possible scenarios: if he's under 31, they will deny his N-400. If he's 31 or over, there is no problem. 

This is a very good article: https://citizenpath.com/failing-register-selective-service/

He did not know about Selective Service untill I told him. He was asking me about form N400 and what does selective service mean, so I told him. He said he wasn't aware of it, I then assumed he wasn't aware of the address change either, so I asked him. He said he was not aware of that too. This conversation happened when he was 27, can't register anymore.

9 minutes ago, USS_Voyager said:

Why? Was he banned?

No. He doesn't have an account here. 

6 minutes ago, Deagle said:

He said he wasn't aware of it, I then assumed he wasn't aware of the address change either, so I asked him. He said he was not aware of that too

Like I said, aware of it or not, their answer will be "We don't care, you didn't register, so you are not eligible". He's ineligible until he's 31. The address thing I don't think it matter so much. They probably won't even ask about the address thing or AR-11 or anything like that. 

40 minutes ago, Deagle said:

I am asking this for a friend who doesn't have access to VJ.

He entered the country when he was between 18 and 26 (Diversity Visa), but did not sign up for Selective Service. He also moved 2 times without reporting it to USCIS because he did not know that it was required. On his N400 application however, he did write down his previous addresses and answered No for Selective Service. He got his interview letter, it will be 2 weeks from now.  On the letter they asked him to bring with him a proof of SS registry. He told me that he did not know much English when he came in, and after finding a job, he went to language school for 2 years. He wants to bring the certificate of his English classes as a proof that he wasn't aware because he did not understand English, and that he was learning while working.

Thank you

Did he go to the website and check whether he's registered or not? USCIS might have help him registered when he was approved for his green card. 

N400

11.06.2019...........Application Submitted Online
11.16.2019............Receive Biometrics Letter in mail
11.29.2019............Biometrics done
08.17.2020............Interview Scheduled

09.21.2020............Interview, approved

09.22.2020............Oath Ceremony

Timeline
Just now, Valor said:

Did he go to the website and check whether he's registered or not? USCIS might have help him registered when he was approved for his green card. 

Yes, I did check that for him. Not registered. 

Timeline
3 minutes ago, USS_Voyager said:

Like I said, aware of it or not, their answer will be "We don't care, you didn't register, so you are not eligible". He's ineligible until he's 31. The address thing I don't think it matter so much. They probably won't even ask about the address thing or AR-11 or anything like that. 

I agree with this from a lawful perspective, but they snapshot below might apply:

image.thumb.png.9cada48b3431a60aaeaa1c8ac2f81799.png

Wait until he is 31. He was responsible for registering and failed to do so. I understand that may not have been the first thing on his mind when immigrating, but it was his responsibility as part of being a permanent resident. Not knowing doesn't change failing to meet his obligations.

19 minutes ago, Deagle said:

No. He doesn't have an account here. 

Good thing making an account is free. ;)

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Timeline
2 minutes ago, geowrian said:

Wait until he is 31. He was responsible for registering and failed to do so. I understand that may not have been the first thing on his mind when immigrating, but it was his responsibility as part of being a permanent resident. Not knowing doesn't change failing to meet his obligations.

Good thing making an account is free. ;)

His interview is on 11/25th. I will keep you guys posted. He was lucky though, filed in August, did his biometrics in September, received interview letter in October, and interview will be in November.

Good luck. The I might not care. But in general, it is unwise to do so in his case until he is no longer in the period where it matters.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

Timeline
1 minute ago, USS_Voyager said:

You can always try. It might work, it might not work. I've just never seen it worked that way. 

That's what I told him. The only answer you will get is from the IO.

Timeline
11 minutes ago, geowrian said:

Good luck. The I might not care. But in general, it is unwise to do so in his case until he is no longer in the period where it matters.

Well its not just for you personally to know LOL.

It is something to be discussed on the forum for the future generations haha.

34 minutes ago, Deagle said:

Well its not just for you personally to know LOL.

It is something to be discussed on the forum for the future generations haha.

I meant "they", not "the I", sorry. Typos~

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

AOS:

Spoiler

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

NVC

K-1

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.