Manny and Judy

Private Health Insurance, ACA, pregnancy, stuck in a country on a work visa soon to expire...

18 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Hello,

Context: My wife and I live in Singapore. I am American, she is Indian. She's now pregnant and due to the pregnancy had to resign her job as a flight attendant. So her Work Visa got cancelled, and we got her a dependent pass (which took 2 days.. Thank you Singapore) based on my Work Visa. So we are both in Singapore on my work visa. She is due to deliver June, and my contract ends June as well (my company is closing and I might lose my job even before that). So we can't have the baby in Singapore since my work visa will soon be invalid and we will have to leave. Our original plan was to rent an apartment in India right before she is too pregnant to travel, have the baby there, and wait out the Visa process there.

We just got our I-130 approved. Now I am gathering all the documents so we can get the Visa as quickly as possible in case we get it on time. I want to have the baby in the US (where we have family) and I have the financial means to pay for the delivery. I do want to insure her though for any other unforeseen and financially disastrous medical expenses.

Now I see this new law that requires immigrants to show proof of getting private health insurance within 30 days. We can't do that because pregnancy is a pre-existing condition. I can't insure her through the ACA because from what I'm reading another recent law denies VISAS to immigrants using the ACA? I can't apply for a job until I know when we will have her visa and head back to the US. I can't leave her alone in Singapore because we are not permanent residents here.

What are my options? Is there any way to get her a private insurance for my pregnant wife that will satisfy these new laws if they go into effect?

Edited by Manny and Judy

It's not that it 'denies healthcare to immigrants' it's that it denies it to immigrants that are not in the US.

Frankly, you're going to need to have the baby in India and worry about getting back to the US after the fact.

Why can't you leave her in India and return to the US and find a job? Where are her family? Can she live with them until the visa is approved?

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
3 hours ago, civilservant said:

It's not that it 'denies healthcare to immigrants' it's that it denies it to immigrants that are not in the US.

Frankly, you're going to need to have the baby in India and worry about getting back to the US after the fact.

Why can't you leave her in India and return to the US and find a job? Where are her family? Can she live with them until the visa is approved?

The US spouse immigration process is not designed to be convenient.  Leaving her in India to have the baby and getting to the US to find a job as quickly as you (the petitioner) can really is the solution.  You can then add her and the baby to your group insurance when she arrives.  I assume the petitioner has the means to pay for the delivery, no matter where it occurs.  It's a tough situation, but the solutions, are simple AND inconvenient.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Also there hasn't been an issue with pre-existing conditions for quite some time.  You wife couldn't get denied health insurance due to pregnancy. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Others with better knowledge advise the OP on where/how to have the baby. I have experience with getting health insurance for a recent immigrant.

The ACA is not the same as "subsidized insurance". Any "minimum essential coverage" as defined by the ACA will allow pre-existing conditions, and it can be purchased from private insurers (or on the exchange with or without subsidies). As I understand it, an immigrant getting a subsidized policy on the exchange will not be allowed entry -- but as of yesterday, this whole immigration policy is on hold anyway, being fought out in the courts.  

But getting ACA "minimal essential coverage" within 4-6 weeks of entry to the US is problematic. My experience is in the state of Washington. Other states may have different rules.

Under the ACA, entering the US as an immigrant is a "qualifying event" for coverage.  But you cannot (at least in Washington) register for coverage until AFTER the event, and there is at least a 4-6 week waiting period until coverage begins. This is true both on the exchange, and with private insurance companies. The only alternatives are 1) to go without coverage during that period (and self-insure); 2) purchase a STM (Short Term Medical) policy -- which are notoriously insufficient. Or 3), if you're employed, see if your employer will add your spouse to your policy, effective on date of immigration. All the STM policies that I looked at do not cover a person who is pregnant.

Please see my earlier post for more details: 
https://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/722205-health-insurance-public-charge-rule/?tab=comments#comment-9913580

Edited by HalfWayMark

16 hours ago, NikLR said:

Also there hasn't been an issue with pre-existing conditions for quite some time.  You wife couldn't get denied health insurance due to pregnancy. 

There still is a pre-existing condition stipulation for travel insurance.

Filed: O-2 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline
On 10/31/2019 at 12:08 AM, Manny and Judy said:

Hello,

Context: My wife and I live in Singapore. I am American, she is Indian. She's now pregnant and due to the pregnancy had to resign her job as a flight attendant. So her Work Visa got cancelled, and we got her a dependent pass (which took 2 days.. Thank you Singapore) based on my Work Visa. So we are both in Singapore on my work visa. She is due to deliver June, and my contract ends June as well (my company is closing and I might lose my job even before that). So we can't have the baby in Singapore since my work visa will soon be invalid and we will have to leave. Our original plan was to rent an apartment in India right before she is too pregnant to travel, have the baby there, and wait out the Visa process there.

We just got our I-130 approved. Now I am gathering all the documents so we can get the Visa as quickly as possible in case we get it on time. I want to have the baby in the US (where we have family) and I have the financial means to pay for the delivery. I do want to insure her though for any other unforeseen and financially disastrous medical expenses.

Now I see this new law that requires immigrants to show proof of getting private health insurance within 30 days. We can't do that because pregnancy is a pre-existing condition. I can't insure her through the ACA because from what I'm reading another recent law denies VISAS to immigrants using the ACA? I can't apply for a job until I know when we will have her visa and head back to the US. I can't leave her alone in Singapore because we are not permanent residents here.

What are my options? Is there any way to get her a private insurance for my pregnant wife that will satisfy these new laws if they go into effect?

FYI if you did not see it, the  decree on healthcare requirements for immigrants has been paused by the courts for now.

1 minute ago, 90DayFinancier said:

I have the financial means to pay for the delivery.

Have you researched theses costs in the USA? Depending on type of delivery, it can range from $30-50k.  Even someone who is flush with that type of cash may want to put it toward something that you can't pay for with insurance, such as a college fund for the baby.

Legal stay of insurance requirement aside, you will want to make sure you have insurance for her from the moment she arrives.

Filed: O-2 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline
5 minutes ago, Jorgedig said:

Have you researched theses costs in the USA? Depending on type of delivery, it can range from $30-50k.  Even someone who is flush with that type of cash may want to put it toward something that you can't pay for with insurance, such as a college fund for the baby.

Legal stay of insurance requirement aside, you will want to make sure you have insurance for her from the moment she arrives.

Something is strange with your quote of me, I didn't post what I quoted. (And I agree with you) And no I am not hitting the gin early.

5 hours ago, Jorgedig said:

There still is a pre-existing condition stipulation for travel insurance.

which wouldn't be what she would need to deliver a baby would it..... 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Thank you everyone for the feedback. At this stage we are considering having the baby outside the US. Our priority is to get the Visa approved though before she is too pregnant since that will give us options.

At this stage I am not considering leaving my wife to have the baby alone while I am in the US looking for a job. I am trying my best to get everything together to get our Visa on time, as getting it in Singapore is ideal, since transferring the case to India will greatly delay our case (the Mumbai embassy has long waits for the interviews).

5 hours ago, NikLR said:

which wouldn't be what she would need to deliver a baby would it..... 

Well no, but obviously it would be a bridge coverage until he could add her to his employer-based plan......

15 hours ago, HalfWayMark said:

Or 3), if you're employed, see if your employer will add your spouse to your policy, effective on date of immigration. 

This has been my concern if in fact my spouse arrives to the US and this silly rule is still in effect. Outside of an open enrollment period, I have been worried about what to do. Can I add my spouse to my health insurance outside of an enrollment period by considering their entry as an immigrant a qualifying event? I have never seen that anywhere.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.