Millennials Continue to Leave Big Cities

28 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Millennials Continue to Leave Big Cities

By

Janet Adamy and Paul Overberg
Sept. 26, 2019 12:01 am ET

Large U.S. cities lost tens of thousands of millennial and younger Gen X residents last year, according to Census figures released Thursday that offer fresh signs of cooling urban growth.

Cities with more than a half million people collectively lost almost 27,000 residents age 25 to 39 in 2018, according to a Wall Street Journal analysis of the figures. It was the fourth consecutive year that big cities saw this population of young adults shrink. New York, Chicago, Houston, San Francisco, Las Vegas, Washington and Portland, Ore., were among those that lost large numbers of residents in this age group.

The drop in young urban residents last year was smaller than in 2017, when big cities lost nearly 54,000 residents in this age group. But the sustained declines signal a sharp reversal from the beginning of the decade, when young adults flooded into cities and helped lead an urban revival.

The 2018 drop was driven by a fall in the number of urban residents between 35 and 39 years old. While the number of adults younger than that rose in big cities, those gains have tapered off in recent years.

Separate Census figures show the majority of people in these age groups who leave cities move to nearby suburbs or the suburbs of other metro areas.

City officials say that high housing costs and poor schools are main reasons that people are leaving. Although millennials—the cohort born between 1981 and 1996—are marrying and having children at lower rates than previous generations, those who do are following in their footsteps and often settling down in suburbs.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/millennials-continue-to-leave-big-cities-11569470460?mod=trending_now_pos1

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

I can't imagine NOT living in a big city, or at least in the metro area of one. I grew up in Burbank, and now live in Berkeley, and the population sizes are pretty much the same, but both benefit from being close to a big city. The idea of living in the country, or even a suburb more boring than Burbank (which is its own city of course but dull) chills me to the bone. Horses for courses as the British say. 

Filed: Timeline
1 hour ago, laylalex said:

I can't imagine NOT living in a big city, or at least in the metro area of one. I grew up in Burbank, and now live in Berkeley, and the population sizes are pretty much the same, but both benefit from being close to a big city. The idea of living in the country, or even a suburb more boring than Burbank (which is its own city of course but dull) chills me to the bone. Horses for courses as the British say. 

Why does it "chill you to the bone"?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
1 hour ago, laylalex said:

So you like the suburbs?  As far as I know Burbank is a suburb of LA and Berkley a suburb of San Francisco.  I think that is the point of the article.

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

2 hours ago, ALFKAD said:

Why does it "chill you to the bone"?

Because, for me, the country is boring. I'm one of those people who needs to be around other people to feel comfortable. I tried living in the country for a while as a test before I got married -- 3 months in the English countryside -- and thought I would suffocate from boredom. There was just so little to do. I kept busy making jam with my future sister-in-law and going for long walks and reading and whatnot, but it just wasn't for me. It was the sole reason we went for the K1 for him to move over here, since the original plan was for me to move there. I thought we could compromise with living in London, but he wasn't having any of it. I'd be out there in Suffolk most of the time. I need to be able to walk out my door and not only go to a local shop or the pub or whatever, but also go to the movies, see a gig, have restaurants to visit, etc. 

2 hours ago, Bill & Katya said:

So you like the suburbs?  As far as I know Burbank is a suburb of LA and Berkley a suburb of San Francisco.  I think that is the point of the article.

They aren't really suburbs. They are both cities in their own right. Burbank is more suburban in character than Berkeley, but still I could walk down the street and get to somewhere pretty quickly, or it was just a very quick car ride to whatever I wanted to do. Berkeley really feels like it's own thing separate and apart from SF. It's just about the best place I've ever lived, probably tied with Bristol in the UK.

All of this is to say that I am a city person, and I know a lot of people aren't. It's okay! We can like different things. :P 

6 minutes ago, laylalex said:

Because, for me, the country is boring. I'm one of those people who needs to be around other people to feel comfortable. I tried living in the country for a while as a test before I got married -- 3 months in the English countryside -- and thought I would suffocate from boredom. There was just so little to do. I kept busy making jam with my future sister-in-law and going for long walks and reading and whatnot, but it just wasn't for me. It was the sole reason we went for the K1 for him to move over here, since the original plan was for me to move there. I thought we could compromise with living in London, but he wasn't having any of it. I'd be out there in Suffolk most of the time. I need to be able to walk out my door and not only go to a local shop or the pub or whatever, but also go to the movies, see a gig, have restaurants to visit, etc. 

They aren't really suburbs. They are both cities in their own right. Burbank is more suburban in character than Berkeley, but still I could walk down the street and get to somewhere pretty quickly, or it was just a very quick car ride to whatever I wanted to do. Berkeley really feels like it's own thing separate and apart from SF. It's just about the best place I've ever lived, probably tied with Bristol in the UK.

All of this is to say that I am a city person, and I know a lot of people aren't. It's okay! We can like different things. :P 

not here 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
34 minutes ago, laylalex said:

Most American large cities are completely abhorrent, with some notable exception like NYC, Boston, Chicago that at least retained some basic grasp on need of functional public transportation system. Non-suburbia suburbs like the ones they have on Westcoast are a good compromise, but still have to contemplate "parking" every time you venture out to down downtown area is terrible. The systematic distraction of public transportation system, while also "ghettoizing" inner cities during the US "highway" revolution when automaker lobbies systematically destroyed light rail is one of biggest civil engineering crimes of the 20th century. Something that is country will be recovering for a long time, and entire planet will carry the environmental toll.

Filed: Timeline
22 minutes ago, Shiran said:

Most American large cities are completely abhorrent, with some notable exception like NYC, Boston, Chicago that at least retained some basic grasp on need of functional public transportation system. Non-suburbia suburbs like the ones they have on Westcoast are a good compromise, but still have to contemplate "parking" every time you venture out to down downtown area is terrible. The systematic distraction of public transportation system, while also "ghettoizing" inner cities during the US "highway" revolution when automaker lobbies systematically destroyed light rail is one of biggest civil engineering crimes of the 20th century. Something that is country will be recovering for a long time, and entire planet will carry the environmental toll.

Notable exceptions?  Boston is ok, but the other two would be in the top 5 abhorrent cities in my book.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

The problem and a constant refrain I hear is that they screw up their own places and then come here and try and do the same.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

7 hours ago, laylalex said:

As you know I used to live where you grew up for a few years and now I am living out in the country. Do you think that there are things that I miss about living closer to everything? Yes, there are things that I miss but we love living out here. 

I bought my first house in June of this year and I don't regret it one bit. I routinely see deer on my property. Not to mention I had a possum on my front porch last night. My dog has room to go wherever she wants to go. 

You know that LA County has as many people as the entire state of NC? I sure as heck don't miss leaving on top of one another

28 minutes ago, Cyberfx1024 said:

As you know I used to live where you grew up for a few years and now I am living out in the country. Do you think that there are things that I miss about living closer to everything? Yes, there are things that I miss but we love living out here. 

I bought my first house in June of this year and I don't regret it one bit. I routinely see deer on my property. Not to mention I had a possum on my front porch last night. My dog has room to go wherever she wants to go. 

You know that LA County has as many people as the entire state of NC? I sure as heck don't miss leaving on top of one another

For the time being, with no kids being in the city works for us. Berkeley is small enough to get to know the people in the businesses we spend our money in, and large enough to have plenty of what we want right now -- restaurants, theaters, etc. It's a good antidote to being in Pasadena in many ways -- while it's also a college town like Pasadena, it's a lot more compact. I can walk to work, or the supermarket, or wherever. Of course, if after we get married, and he gets more leeway on where he can work (no visa issues after AOS) we might revisit how we feel. It's good that you ended up somewhere that suits you well -- I could say the same about myself. :) 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
2 hours ago, Steeleballz said:

I don't think the Millennials have had time to screw anything up yet. Perhaps you are thinking of the baby boomers.

Not wishing in any way to offend any members of this site, never heard age mentioned, one particular State seems to be the focus.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”