SamiRebecca

Apply for SSN separately or with AOS/EAD?

15 posts in this topic

Now you can apply for your SSN while submitting your EAD application. I was wondering if it would be faster to apply for SSN together with the AOS/EAD package or separately at a social security office. I am wondering because online it says you should receive your SSN card within 30 days after receiving your EAD, and the processing times for EAD can be up to 5 months now. On the other hand, I've heard people who apply for SSN separately (like previously you had to) about two weeks after entering with a K1 visa, have received it much sooner.

So, is there any point to applying for SSN using the EAD form?

-Sami

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
Just now, SamiRebecca said:

Now you can apply for your SSN while submitting your EAD application. I was wondering if it would be faster to apply for SSN together with the AOS/EAD package or separately at a social security office. I am wondering because online it says you should receive your SSN card within 30 days after receiving your EAD, and the processing times for EAD can be up to 5 months now. On the other hand, I've heard people who apply for SSN separately (like previously you had to) about two weeks after entering with a K1 visa, have received it much sooner.

So, is there any point to applying for SSN using the EAD form?

-Sami

Ssn can be applied for within 75 days of k1 entry or AFTER EAD or GC approval.  No ability in between 

YMMV

Just now, payxibka said:

Ssn can be applied for within 75 days of k1 entry or AFTER EAD or GC approval.  No ability in between 

Yes I understand. That's not the question. I'm asking if I should apply for it with EAD (you can request for an SSN in the EAD form nowadays) or separately.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

Yes I understand. That's not the question. I'm asking if I should apply for it with EAD (you can request for an SSN in the EAD form nowadays) or separately.

Most people find it better to file for the SSN immediately after entry into the US......separately.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Depends if you want to take a good chunk of your day visiting the SSA when you are approved 

YMMV

An SSN is usually required to obtain bank accounts and health insurance (although not impossible without an SSN). 

So up to you....do you need joint marital evidence in bank accounts and health insurance or do you have plenty of other joint evidence for your AOS interview? You may not get your "EAD applied for SSN" in time to get those things for your interview. The bigger risk is not having health insurance though if you cant get HI without an SSN because your HIP doesnt allow it.

You'll apply for it on the I765 ANYWAYS as you want a card in your married name (if applicable). An SSN applied for within 90 days most often will not be issued in the married name as you do not have an immigration document in that name. So either you'll request a married name replacement card on the I765 or have to go in person after the EAD is issued to change the name.

Edited by K1visaHopeful

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

This seems to be a fairly new "benefit" and method for obtaining a SSN though the I-765 EAD application. I know that we did not have this option back in 2012. We had to do it the old-fashioned way, filling out a Form SS-5 and toddling down to the local SSA office.  With my wife, we went down shortly after her POE. For my stepson, we went down after he got his EAD/AP combo card. 

I think that I like the idea of being able to apply for an SSN card via the I-765 application. My concern is how well the process actually works. Maybe I am a bit jaded in my outlook, but I wonder how several huge government bureaucracies, CBP, USCIS, DHS, SSA play nice with each other and make this work?

YMMV.

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
4 hours ago, missileman said:

Most people find it better to file for the SSN immediately after entry into the US......separately.

My (then) fiance applied for his SSN the day after he arrived. Why wait? It can take such a long time for your EAD to come through, and the SSN is a good thing to have. It enabled him to open a bank account (each bank has different requirements concerning this) , and while it wasn't necessary, it made it easier to add him to my health insurance. We only spent about an hour and a half at the Social Security office, and it was well worth it to get this done. 

5 hours ago, Pitaya said:

This seems to be a fairly new "benefit" and method for obtaining a SSN though the I-765 EAD application. I know that we did not have this option back in 2012. We had to do it the old-fashioned way, filling out a Form SS-5 and toddling down to the local SSA office.  With my wife, we went down shortly after her POE. For my stepson, we went down after he got his EAD/AP combo card. 

I think that I like the idea of being able to apply for an SSN card via the I-765 application. My concern is how well the process actually works. Maybe I am a bit jaded in my outlook, but I wonder how several huge government bureaucracies, CBP, USCIS, DHS, SSA play nice with each other and make this work?

YMMV.

I'd say its 98% effective. Stats are skewed because ppl get restless when the SSN doesn't come in the mail the day after the EAD. Then they head to SSA to ask why and the local SSA has no clue because, of course, the EAD filed SSN comes from SSA Maryland and not your local SSA. So they uproariously state "I NEVER GOT MY SSN AND I APPLIED ON MY I765 AND SSA SAID THERE WAS NO APPLICATION" when infact they are just impatient and clueless and spewing falsities. It works if you let it.

5 hours ago, Pitaya said:

YMMV.

Thanks for the response. I think I'll apply for the SSN with via the I-765 application, but also go to the local SSA office to apply for it locally. I don't want to wait for the SSN until I have my EAD as it is necessary for a lot of things I'd like to be able to do sooner.

I'm guessing in this case the USCIS/DHS will just either send me a new SSN card later or not send it at all as they can see I have already received one from the local SSA office. 

My big worry is the flow of information between these agencies. They aren't known for their speed and communication.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline
14 minutes ago, SamiRebecca said:

Thanks for the response. I think I'll apply for the SSN with via the I-765 application, but also go to the local SSA office to apply for it locally. I don't want to wait for the SSN until I have my EAD as it is necessary for a lot of things I'd like to be able to do sooner.

I'm guessing in this case the USCIS/DHS will just either send me a new SSN card later or not send it at all as they can see I have already received one from the local SSA office. 

My big worry is the flow of information between these agencies. They aren't known for their speed and communication.

Please believe me, I understand your reluctance about trusting government agencies. So, I am with you in that regard. I recall, that I didn't much care for the seemingly endless line queuing at the local SSA office. If I could make one suggestion it would be to obtain your SSN card one way or the other, otherwise it seems that you are duplicating your efforts, and certainly making extra work for the government, and perhaps another potential for duplication error.  Particularly, since the government then it sounds like the government has to match you up with the number you will have received through your the local SSA office visit. The Lord knows that is the last thing that we should do is give them a way or reason to screw something up...because you likely know the outcome. 

However, I want to believe K1visaHopeful's assessment of the program. So, I am hopeful that this program change, I will even say improvement works out the best for everyone. If you can, follow K1visaHopeful's ending comment, "It works if you let it."

46 minutes ago, K1visaHopeful said:

I'd say its 98% effective. Stats are skewed because ppl get restless when the SSN doesn't come in the mail the day after the EAD. Then they head to SSA to ask why and the local SSA has no clue because, of course, the EAD filed SSN comes from SSA Maryland and not your local SSA. So they uproariously state "I NEVER GOT MY SSN AND I APPLIED ON MY I765 AND SSA SAID THERE WAS NO APPLICATION" when infact they are just impatient and clueless and spewing falsities. It works if you let it.

Good luck on your immigration journey.

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

1 hour ago, SamiRebecca said:

Thanks for the response. I think I'll apply for the SSN with via the I-765 application, but also go 

Your in-person applied SSN will come in the maiden name as you will be applying in that name with your passport and unexpired I94 (in your maiden name).

Your I765 REPLACEMENT SSN will come in your married name as that's what you are applying for the AOS forms in (as that's how you will officially change your name on other IDs, if applicable). You need the married name SSN card to use the EAD in your married name. (As well you need the married name SSN to update your DL to your married name in most states).

The number stays the same and is distinguished as yours with the added security of both of your parents names on every SSN application. They rarely screw it up unless YOU fail to disclose the correct info the forms ask. (Ie. Not bringing your birth certificate with your parents names when you apply in person or not inputting your parents info to match your BC when you file for the the replacement SSN on the I765.)

Edited by K1visaHopeful

2 minutes ago, K1visaHopeful said:

Your in-person applied SSN will come in the maiden name as you will be applying in that name with your passport and unexpired I94 (in your maiden name).

Your I765 REPLACEMENT SSN will come in your married name as that's what you are applying for the AOS forms in (as that's how you will officially change your name on other IDs, if applicable). You need the married name SSN card to use the EAD in your married name. (As well you need the married name SSN to update your DL to your married name in most states).

The number stays the same and is distinguished as yours with the added security of both of your parents names on every SSN application. They rarely screw it up unless YOU fail to disclose the correct info the forms ask.

Thanks. My name will remain unchanged, so that wont be an issue. 

On the SS-5 (application for ssn card) it states that if I check the box for "legal alien NOT allowed to work" when applying, I must submit an official document from the government or state stating the reason why I need an SSN card. Is this necessary for K-1 holders? What would this document even be? 

59 minutes ago, SamiRebecca said:

Thanks. My name will remain unchanged, so that wont be an issue. 

On the SS-5 (application for ssn card) it states that if I check the box for "legal alien NOT allowed to work" when applying, I must submit an official document from the government or state stating the reason why I need an SSN card. Is this necessary for K-1 holders? What would this document even be? 

You check "legal Alien allowed to work". As a K1 you are allowed to work but only with a valid EAD.

Timeline

Ok so my wife got her card and  they recommended to do the  the name change after   the initial card  to make it smoother. So we went back today and they are telling us it can take  month and a half as her Bulgarian passport  is her maiden name and that it  it can cause issues when filing the adjustment of status. So we put it off (for now) to gather information. Any insight on this  also  what will happen if try to  travel after the fact with her passport  if the name change has been processed?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.