Jeff and Tatiana

Dual US/Russian which passport?(split)

12 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

I just want to confirm a few items before I purchase my wife's tickets.

She is now a US Citizen, but she has a Valid Russian Passport.  

Her name is the same in both passports, so that is not a issue.

The questions are:  Does she just present her Russian Passport when arriving in Moscow?  There will be no questions?

Then when she arrives back at USA she just presents her USA passport?  No problems?  Has anyone done this?  How did it go?  Was it recently someone has tried this/done this?  I am just trying to get a feel.  Obviously I can get her a Visa for Russia on her USA Passport, but she does have a valid Russian Passport, so I would think it would be no problem, but wanted to get thoughts.

Thank you,

Jeff Owens

I found her in March 08'

We met in December 08'

NOA1 on 31 March 09'

NOA2 on 28 Aug 09'

Interview 18 Nov 09' (Administrative Review)

Visa Approved!! 15 Dec 09'

Tatiana Arrives! 12 Jan 10'

Married 2 Mar 10'

Green Card Received 10 July 10'

Lifting Conditions Filed 25 April 12'

12 minutes ago, Jeff and Tatiana said:

The questions are:  Does she just present her Russian Passport when arriving in Moscow?

Yes

13 minutes ago, Jeff and Tatiana said:

Then when she arrives back at USA she just presents her USA passport? 

Yes

13 minutes ago, Jeff and Tatiana said:

Obviously I can get her a Visa for Russia on her USA Passport

Visas are not issued to citizens of the country they are "visiting"

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Post and reply split off to it's own thread. Please do not post your question in other members threads as it can cause confusion to the thread. In this case the thread was 5 yrs old and at time members will try to reply to the OP not realizing how long ago the question was asked.~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Yeah; if you have a Russian passport, you have to use it to enter Russia.

If you have a US passport, you have to use it to enter the US.

For anywhere else, it's up to you, but in most countries you'll want to use the US passport, as there are far more visa-free countries with a US passport.

K-1                             AOS                            
NOA1 Notice Date: 2018-05-31    NOA1 Notice Date: 2019-04-11   
NOA2 Date: 2018-11-16           Biometrics Date: 2019-05-10    
Arrived at NVC:  2018-12-03     EAD/AP In Hand: 2019-09-16     
Arrived in Moscow: 2018-12-28   GC Interview Date: 2019-09-25      
Interview date: 2019-02-14      GC In Hand: 2019-10-02
Visa issued: 2019-02-28
POE: 2019-03-11
Wedding: 2019-03-14

ROC                             Naturalization
NOA1 Notice Date: 2021-07-16    Applied Online: 2022-07-09 (biometrics waived)
Approval Date: 2022-04-06       Interview was Scheduled: 2023-01-06
10-year GC In Hand: 2022-04-14  Interview date: 2023-02-13 (passed)
                            	Oath: 2023-02-13

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

I just traveled to Russia in June with dual citizenship (US/Russia).

Leaving US.

Present Russian passport at check in desk. When boarding plane plane present Russian passport and boarding pass.

Arriving in Russia. 

She will only present Russian passport to customs.

Leaving Russia.

Present both passports in customs. They will check her US passport and put stamp in Russian passport.

Boarding Plane in Russia.

Only present your US passport and boarding pass. 

Arriving in US.

Only present your US passport.

Thats it.

Edited by Art25

Timeline

My wife and I just did this, but in her case the names are different.  Anyway, all flights in the name on her US Passport, presented both the US and Russian passports at check-in since we transited through China without a Chinese visa (needed to show onward flight and document to allow us into the destination country, Russia), arrived in China, presented US and Russian passport to Chinese immigration as well as for the check-in for the flight to Russia.  Arrived in Russia, only Russian passport necessary.  She heads back in a few days, but if all goes well, she should only need her Russian passport at the immigration control in Russia upon exit, and her US passport at all other points (Chinese immigration, and US immigration).

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Russia
Timeline
On 9/4/2019 at 6:44 AM, Bill & Katya said:

My wife and I just did this, but in her case the names are different.  Anyway, all flights in the name on her US Passport, presented both the US and Russian passports at check-in since we transited through China without a Chinese visa (needed to show onward flight and document to allow us into the destination country, Russia), arrived in China, presented US and Russian passport to Chinese immigration as well as for the check-in for the flight to Russia.  Arrived in Russia, only Russian passport necessary.  She heads back in a few days, but if all goes well, she should only need her Russian passport at the immigration control in Russia upon exit, and her US passport at all other points (Chinese immigration, and US immigration).

Thank you for this post Bill & Katya.  So I have a question for you.  Assuming in your case that her Russian Passport uses her pre-married name and her US Passport uses her married name, what you are saying is that all airline tickets used her married US Passport name and she entered Russia using her Russian Passport with her pre-married name that does not match her married name on the airline tickets.  Does this situation really work in your case? Did she also have her marriage certificate with her to show her name change (was that necessary)?  Did she have an apostille stamp in her Russian Passport with her new married name?

Basically, she could enter Russia with her Russian Passport that has her pre-married name that is different from her name used on her airline tickets for all the flights?  This is information I would really like to understand.  Thanks again.

Timeline
22 minutes ago, Juniper said:

Thank you for this post Bill & Katya.  So I have a question for you.  Assuming in your case that her Russian Passport uses her pre-married name and her US Passport uses her married name, what you are saying is that all airline tickets used her married US Passport name and she entered Russia using her Russian Passport with her pre-married name that does not match her married name on the airline tickets.  Does this situation really work in your case? Did she also have her marriage certificate with her to show her name change (was that necessary)?  Did she have an apostille stamp in her Russian Passport with her new married name?

Basically, she could enter Russia with her Russian Passport that has her pre-married name that is different from her name used on her airline tickets for all the flights?  This is information I would really like to understand.  Thanks again.

Yes, I did not mention that she does always travel with a copy of the marriage certificate, however, no one has ever asked for it.  At the airlines check-in desk, they did not bat an eye at the name differences on the passports, and Russian immigration did not care either, I don't think they even looked at the boarding pass when we entered, and even though Katya also showed her US passport at Russian immigration, again they had no interest.  Last year, the first time we traveled after Katya got her US passport, we did it the opposite, purchasing the tickets in her Russian passport name, and that worked as well.  This is the way we did it when she traveled when she only had a GC.  We did investigate changing her name on her Russian passport, but that process is long and arduous requiring her to update her internal passport first.

I hope that helps.

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Russia
Timeline
5 hours ago, Bill & Katya said:

Yes, I did not mention that she does always travel with a copy of the marriage certificate, however, no one has ever asked for it.  At the airlines check-in desk, they did not bat an eye at the name differences on the passports, and Russian immigration did not care either, I don't think they even looked at the boarding pass when we entered, and even though Katya also showed her US passport at Russian immigration, again they had no interest.  Last year, the first time we traveled after Katya got her US passport, we did it the opposite, purchasing the tickets in her Russian passport name, and that worked as well.  This is the way we did it when she traveled when she only had a GC.  We did investigate changing her name on her Russian passport, but that process is long and arduous requiring her to update her internal passport first.

I hope that helps.

It helps immensely in knowing what we should do ...  which is to just leave the Russian Passport name unchanged because it matches Russian domestic passport name and matches Russian bank/asset name.    Thanks very much.  Just in case, like you said, it's good to have a copy of the marriage certificate handy for name change document proof.

Timeline
On 9/2/2019 at 10:51 AM, Jeff and Tatiana said:

Obviously I can get her a Visa for Russia on her USA Passport, but she does have a valid Russian Passport...

Just to be clear, no she can't get a visa to Russia in her USA passport.

Not unless she officially renounces her Russian citizenship.

Informantion above for entering and exiting Russia with USA and Russia passports is correct.  Very easy.

Edited by Neonred

If at first you don't succeed, then sky diving is not for you.

Someone stole my dictionary. Now I am at a loss for words.

If Apple made a car, would it have windows?

Ban shredded cheese. Make America Grate Again .

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Deport him and you never have to feed him again.

I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.

I went bald but I kept my comb.  I just couldn't part with it.

My name is not Richard Edward but my friends still call me DickEd

If your pet has a bladder infection, urine trouble.

"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow."

I fired myself from cleaning the house. I didn't like my attitude and I got caught drinking on the job.

My kid has A.D.D... and a couple of F's

Carrots improve your vision.  Alcohol doubles it.

A dung beetle walks into a bar and asks " Is this stool taken?"

Breaking news.  They're not making yardsticks any longer.

Hemorrhoids?  Shouldn't they be called Assteroids?

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
On 9/2/2019 at 9:46 PM, Art25 said:

I just traveled to Russia in June with dual citizenship (US/Russia).

Leaving US.

Present Russian passport at check in desk. When boarding plane plane present Russian passport and boarding pass.

The US passport should've been used, leaving US

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/legal/travel-legal-considerations/Advice-about-Possible-Loss-of-US-Nationality-Dual-Nationality/Dual-Nationality.html

U.S. nationals, including dual nationals, must use a U.S. passport to enter and leave the United States. 

Edited by Ksenia_O

Timeline
18 hours ago, Ksenia_O said:

The US passport should've been used, leaving US

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/legal/travel-legal-considerations/Advice-about-Possible-Loss-of-US-Nationality-Dual-Nationality/Dual-Nationality.html

U.S. nationals, including dual nationals, must use a U.S. passport to enter and leave the United States. 

Won't be allowed to board the plane showing a US passport that does not have visa to visit Russia.  Need to show the Russian passport.

If at first you don't succeed, then sky diving is not for you.

Someone stole my dictionary. Now I am at a loss for words.

If Apple made a car, would it have windows?

Ban shredded cheese. Make America Grate Again .

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Deport him and you never have to feed him again.

I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.

I went bald but I kept my comb.  I just couldn't part with it.

My name is not Richard Edward but my friends still call me DickEd

If your pet has a bladder infection, urine trouble.

"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow."

I fired myself from cleaning the house. I didn't like my attitude and I got caught drinking on the job.

My kid has A.D.D... and a couple of F's

Carrots improve your vision.  Alcohol doubles it.

A dung beetle walks into a bar and asks " Is this stool taken?"

Breaking news.  They're not making yardsticks any longer.

Hemorrhoids?  Shouldn't they be called Assteroids?

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.