RT&MB

Tourist Visa while waiting on K1

16 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi Folks,

I'm curious if anyone has had any experience with this situation.  Our current status is that the K1/K2 visa packages are at the US Embassy in the Philippines.  DS160 has been completed.  Interview has not been scheduled and the Medical Exams have not been completed.  Sadly we're waiting on some documents from the DSWD (4+ months now) for her adopted son (she's had him since he was 1 day old.  He's 14 now.  The original paperwork wasn't completed correctly) so that we can complete the K1/K2 visa process.  

So the question - has anyone had any luck receiving a tourist visa for a fiance under these circumstances?  My 22 year old daughter is getting married in November and we'd really like for my K1 fiance to be able to come to the wedding even if it's on a single entry tourist visa.  

Thanks in advance for your help!  

Timeline
Just now, designguy said:

It seems hit or miss. The fact she has a pending immigrant petition does not work in her favor. If you want to know for sure apply and pay the $160 to find out

Yes, everything that I've read seems to indicate that you have to have a compelling argument to return to the Philippines.  I think we have that part covered in that we're waiting on the child's paperwork or she would have executed the K1 visa already.  

Filed: EB-3 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline
1 minute ago, RT&MB said:

Yes, everything that I've read seems to indicate that you have to have a compelling argument to return to the Philippines.  I think we have that part covered in that we're waiting on the child's paperwork or she would have executed the K1 visa already.

The problem I would see is that she has immigrant intent. The whole process with the B2 is being assumed you have immigrant intent and then its up to the applicant to prove otherwise. This puts you at a disadvantage but then again maybe the CO will consider your case. If you can afford the $160 why not give it a try?

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
21 minutes ago, RT&MB said:

Hi Folks,

I'm curious if anyone has had any experience with this situation.  Our current status is that the K1/K2 visa packages are at the US Embassy in the Philippines.  DS160 has been completed.  Interview has not been scheduled and the Medical Exams have not been completed.  Sadly we're waiting on some documents from the DSWD (4+ months now) for her adopted son (she's had him since he was 1 day old.  He's 14 now.  The original paperwork wasn't completed correctly) so that we can complete the K1/K2 visa process.  

So the question - has anyone had any luck receiving a tourist visa for a fiance under these circumstances?  My 22 year old daughter is getting married in November and we'd really like for my K1 fiance to be able to come to the wedding even if it's on a single entry tourist visa.  

Thanks in advance for your help!  

Highly unlikely.     Better chance of hitting the lottery.

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline
7 minutes ago, Hank_ said:

Highly unlikely.     Better chance of hitting the lottery.

So is that a pick 4 or a Powerball lottery ;)  

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

It does happen, depends on the totality of the situation, only one way to find out.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
1 hour ago, RT&MB said:

So is that a pick 4 or a Powerball lottery ;)  

Mega Million ~  :)  

I know of a few that got the tourist visas, but they were grandmas wanting to go see their daughter and/or newly born little one.   I know of a fair number of Filipinas that were denied also .. odds are not in your fiancee's favor.

Like said, it is a $160 lottery ticket.

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline
5 minutes ago, TXBill said:

Also did you get your i129f validity's extended? If I'm not mistaken I think that it can expire so to say.

That's a non-issue for up to a year.  Embassy automatically extends the petition validity.

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline
1 minute ago, Hank_ said:

That's a non-issue for up to a year.  Embassy automatically extends the petition validity.

Yes, we verified that too with the embassy.  The question did come up is it 1 year from when it's issued or 1 year from when it was originally set to expire?

10 minutes ago, TXBill said:

You also have to remember that getting a B2 visa doesn't guarantee her entry to the U.S. She can be sent back at the POE.

Hope the papers get sorted out soon.

Yes, we've considered that too.  We have a pretty good rational for her to return since the children are their and need the K2 visa to come to the US.  

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
22 minutes ago, RT&MB said:

Yes, we verified that too with the embassy.  The question did come up is it 1 year from when it's issued or 1 year from when it was originally set to expire?

Yes, we've considered that too.  We have a pretty good rational for her to return since the children are their and need the K2 visa to come to the US.  

Actually not,  the kids have another path for immigration (though longer) so it may not be as solid as you might hope

YMMV

Timeline
14 minutes ago, payxibka said:

Actually not,  the kids have another path for immigration (though longer) so it may not be as solid as you might hope

Yes, under normal circumstances you'd be right but in order for the adoption to be finished properly she has to remain in the Philippines.  He'll age out before an international option could be completed.  

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.