rainingsilver64

SSN Questions

9 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

I'm looking at the Step by Step guide for SSN on Visa Journey, and I had a few questions...

• I noticed it said you should wait about two weeks after arrive to file for an SSN.  Is this true?
  • How long does a I-94 typically last before expiring?
  • The guide said another form of valid ID (than passport I'm guessing) is needed, as defined in the SS-5 instructions ( https://www.ssa.gov/forms/ss-5.pdf ).  I only see US driver's license, US state-issued non-driver identity card, or US passport listed in the Evidence of Identity section.  Obviously my fiancé coming from Japan won't have any of these items, so other than his passport, what would be an acceptable form of ID for the SSN process?
  • Is the RM 10211.530 a form?  When I open the hyperlink, it just takes me to this page:  https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0110211530  I don't understand what we need to print out and bring to the SSA office.

Thank you!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
1 minute ago, rainingsilver64 said:

I'm looking at the Step by Step guide for SSN on Visa Journey, and I had a few questions...

• I noticed it said you should wait about two weeks after arrive to file for an SSN.  Is this true?
  • How long does a I-94 typically last before expiring?
  • The guide said another form of valid ID (than passport I'm guessing) is needed, as defined in the SS-5 instructions ( https://www.ssa.gov/forms/ss-5.pdf ).  I only see US driver's license, US state-issued non-driver identity card, or US passport listed in the Evidence of Identity section.  Obviously my fiancé coming from Japan won't have any of these items, so other than his passport, what would be an acceptable form of ID for the SSN process?
  • Is the RM 10211.530 a form?  When I open the hyperlink, it just takes me to this page:  https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0110211530  I don't understand what we need to print out and bring to the SSA office.

Thank you!

1.  Not anymore 

2.  90 days 

3.  Passport with Visa and i94

4.  SS5

YMMV

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Moved to SSN, from K1 P&P - As the question is about SSN not k1 processing.~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

22 minutes ago, rainingsilver64 said:

I noticed it said you should wait about two weeks after arrive to file for an SSN.  Is this true?

Just apply ASAP after coming in

How long does a I-94 typically last before expiring?

90 days for a K1

The guide said another form of valid ID

The Japanese passport with the visa is fine

23 minutes ago, rainingsilver64 said:

Is the RM 10211.530 a form?

No idea what that is

4 hours ago, USS_Voyager said:

Just apply ASAP after coming in

Hi there, I applied today, which was ASAP for me (two business days after POE) and I got hit with manual verification. 😞 According to the letter I was given, it can take up to 4 weeks, but should I be more proactive about it? Go back in a week or two? Or just wait the 4 weeks and go back if I don’t hear anything at that point?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
4 minutes ago, Teacake said:

Hi there, I applied today, which was ASAP for me (two business days after POE) and I got hit with manual verification. 😞 According to the letter I was given, it can take up to 4 weeks, but should I be more proactive about it? Go back in a week or two? Or just wait the 4 weeks and go back if I don’t hear anything at that point?

There was a really great post a few weeks ago about solving the black hole of SSN... I’ll dig it up and post it 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Cambodia
Timeline
On 8/26/2019 at 3:23 PM, Teacake said:

Mine took 3 weeks with manual verification. if you are already file it, just need to wait. They will send you via mail. Good luck

• 4 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

Thanks for everyone's responses!  I was just looking at Social Security Card application, and I was wondering for the Citizenship question, would my fiance check "Legal Alien Allowed To Work" or "Legal Alien Not Allowed to Work"?

4 hours ago, rainingsilver64 said:

Thanks for everyone's responses!  I was just looking at Social Security Card application, and I was wondering for the Citizenship question, would my fiance check "Legal Alien Allowed To Work" or "Legal Alien Not Allowed to Work"?

For mine, I put in "Legal Alien Allowed To Work". When you receive the card, it'll say something like "valid for work with DHS authorization..."

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.