maririguez

Can i Translate On my Own

59 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, jeaniecz said:

okay, pardon met for using USCIS and NVC liberally. 

So how does NVC verify the translation is accurate?

Tbh, why would the NVC care? They just prepare the documents for the consulate. They don't ensure their accuracy.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Netherlands
Timeline
1 minute ago, missileman said:

I can't answer that....but no where do they say that a licensed translator must be used........many people here have done their own translations.....without problems.

It does. I posted the screenshots. 

"Life is a journey." At this moment, it's taking me to the USA to the woman I love.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Japan
Timeline
3 minutes ago, jeaniecz said:

okay, pardon met for using USCIS and NVC liberally. 

So how does NVC verify the translation is accurate?

Because you are signing your declaration under it. Basically if found it’s not true, that itself is mistepresentation.

Timeline

Think it this way: it is your application, you lie you lose.

you swear before your interview starts, not to lie and tell the truth. And by signing that document you are also swearing you are fluent in both languages and the translation is accurate. 

Some embassies may specifically ask for notarized sworn translators. But what you sent is not one of those from what I read from your SS.

if it makes someone feel better they should do it that way. Cause it also shows competency in understanding what embassy says. So if you think that is what it says then you should find a translator. But I didn’t see one post here about someone being turned down cause of translations.

Timeline

@Naes 

It reads: "qualified" translator. I thought that "qualification" to perform a job means 1. obtaining education,  then 2. passing exams and 3. obtaining a professional licence.  

Being qualified means there's a official body standing garant to your performace. 

Therefore, being qualified to do a job is not the same as considering yourself fit to perform it. 

"Life is a journey." At this moment, it's taking me to the USA to the woman I love.

Timeline
2 minutes ago, jeaniecz said:

@Naes 

It reads: "qualified" translator. I thought that "qualification" to perform a job means 1. obtaining education,  then 2. passing exams and 3. obtaining a professional licence.  

Being qualified means there's a official body standing garant to your performace. 

Therefore, being qualified to do a job is not the same as considering yourself fit to perform it. 

Well it doesn’t in this case. It doesn’t say a “professional” which you are mistaking with “qualified”

If you believe you are qualified, you openly tell it by writing that down on the paper and signing it.

2 people who helped a good 1000s of people here and I am trying to explain this but I don’t know how else to do it.

I did it, Jude from next door did it, asako from I don’t know where in Japan did it. Someone called Julia decided she can’t do it, so she sent it to get it professionally done. 

Op can also chose not to do it and send it to a translator, or call his/her embassy to ask if they are ok with it. 

12 minutes ago, jeaniecz said:

It certainly means no such thing.

I'm qualified for many things relating to cybersecurity, IT architecture, software development, etc. My position (which works with large state and federal agencies) requires these types of skills for the positions and resource categories. There is no official body that determines my standing with this.

Edit: Now if a position said it required a specific certification (i.e. CEH), that's different. But being qualified to perform a role or task is different.

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: Timeline
6 minutes ago, geowrian said:

It certainly means no such thing.

I'm qualified for many things relating to cybersecurity, IT architecture, software development, etc. My position (which works with large state and federal agencies) requires these types of skills for the positions and resource categories. There is no official body that determines my standing with this.

Edit: Now if a position said it required a specific certification (i.e. CEH), that's different. But being qualified to perform a role or task is different.

To add to this the phrase "qualified to do a translation" means exactly what it sounds like. All you need is to be fluent in both languages and bam you are qualified. (you sign and swear that you are qualified).  

Timeline

Sworn/certified translation, here in the Netherlands (and other European countries) means performed by a sworn translator, who has a professional licence to do such translations. Such translation has to be accompanied by a stamp that identifies a sworn translator.

I had contacted several translators' firms and when I mentioned I needed official documents such as birth certificate, I were told they couldnt do it because they had translators for the languages I needed, but those were not sworn translators.

Screen Shot 2019-08-01 at 01.25.36.png

Edited by jeaniecz

Timeline
25 minutes ago, Naes said:

Well it doesn’t in this case. It doesn’t say a “professional” which you are mistaking with “qualified”

If you believe you are qualified, you openly tell it by writing that down on the paper and signing it.

2 people who helped a good 1000s of people here and I am trying to explain this but I don’t know how else to do it.

I did it, Jude from next door did it, asako from I don’t know where in Japan did it. Someone called Julia decided she can’t do it, so she sent it to get it professionally done. 

Op can also chose not to do it and send it to a translator, or call his/her embassy to ask if they are ok with it. 

Of course OP is free to make their own choices.

"believe to be qualified" is not the same as being qualified. 

Where I come from one is qualified by accomplishment of formal education, passing an exam and becoming a registered member of an official body. 

Timeline

23 minutes ago, jeaniecz said:

Sworn/certified translation, here in the Netherlands (and other European countries) means performed by a sworn translator, who has a professional licence to do such translations. Such translation has to be accompanied by a stamp that identifies a sworn translator.

I had contacted several translators' firms and when I mentioned I needed official documents such as birth certificate, I were told they couldnt do it because they had translators for the languages I needed, but those were not sworn translators.

Screen Shot 2019-08-01 at 01.25.36.png

Again, this comes back to a specified situation with your country.

now if I go to my country where we also have and frequently use sworn translators; a non sworn translator won’t do it.

however, certifying it yourself is a different issue.

but if we go back in circle we can say this again; 1) it can be embassy specific. 2) however what you quoted as a screenshot from your embassy before does not really specify it 3) sworn is not always equal to certified and qualified is not equal to professional.

certified translation = anyone who is competent is qualified and can certify it

certified translator = may mean that they need a certification / can also mean they need to certify the document as said before

Qualified people doesn’t have to be professionals but anyone who says they’re professional has to be qualified.

apart from that I am done as again, 2,5 years here and dealt with embassy for way longer than that I am yet to see a case that came here because of this issue. I had cases where a sworn translator was needed, and this was not one of them. But coming here yelling “no stop misinforming” will cause a discussion. But this is not a discussion anymore.

Uscis accepts it, nvc again won’t even look at it but only if it has a translation or not. Embassy has their own policies.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

The accuracy and legitimacy of all documents submitted by the petitionner or applicant are done so under the penalty of PERJURY.    That is why the USCIS & DOS don't care.  They have all the recourse they require 

YMMV

Filed: Other Country: Saudi Arabia
Timeline
9 hours ago, maririguez said:

Hello Everyone !! 

I have a  huge question!

Does anyone know if we are able to translate most documents on our own ? i called a  couple of certified places that do translations, but each page is over $125. I am very fluent both  in spanish and english.

Thanks 

Yes

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Cuba
Timeline

Yes you can translate . Save yourself those dollars .  Just make sure you do a certification statement as shown above .  You are not obligated to pay for translations. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.