withlovefromCairo

Previous Marriage (K1)...Now Divorced and Remarried- HELP

25 posts in this topic

10 hours ago, withlovefromCairo said:

Pretty sure my ex husband had the 2 year and now has a 5 year green card. It is possible. Thank you!

There is no 5 year GC.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline
21 hours ago, withlovefromCairo said:

Does this apply if my mother is going to do the I-864? I know I still have the legal obligation to my ex which is binding in the previous I-864.

Pretty sure my ex husband had the 2 year and now has a 5 year green card. It is possible. Thank you!

No such thing as 5 year green card, unfortunately. I'm pretty sure you are not getting your facts right.

Edited by nastra30

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline
On 7/31/2019 at 8:38 AM, withlovefromCairo said:

Hello Everyone!

I am an American citizen and am married to an Egyptian. My husband and I met online and I moved to Cairo to be with him. We have been married for 10 months now and have been together for 2 years. 

Here's my problem:

I was married before to a Tunisian man and I brought him to the US with the K1 visa. Completely legit. We fell in love and we were both very young, but it just didn't work out. I actually met my current husband online while I was separated from my ex-husband. My ex-husband has a 5 year green card, is legal and working in the US. Like I said, we were in love, but as time went by we both changed and grew apart. I am currently living in Egypt with my now husband and we are thinking of applying for a spouse visa to move to the US. 

Will my previous marriage affect our chances of getting an approval for my now husband? I have legal documentation for my ex-husband and I'm sure if I asked him to, he would write a letter stating what happened during our marriage just as I did for him. What advice can you give me? 

Thanks in advance.

Linz & Moh

good luck with Cairo, make sure you have your original divorce decree to send that copy, and when you do the I-864 since your ex is not a USC your going to need to disclose that on the affidavit of support.

If there is an age gap make sure you have a lot of evidence of commingle of assets.

Cairo is not an easy embassy.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
On 7/31/2019 at 12:35 PM, Nitas_man said:

There is no such thing as a 5 year green card.

Your income in Cairo will be set to (zero) on your support affidavit but you still have to fill out an I-864 and attach your tax returns/transcripts to it.  Intent to return from that region is easy and not something you need to worry about.  Embassy hears “I’m ready to go home” and they’re on it.  I wonder why.

Your previous marriage has no bearing on your current case, except you have to add your ex husband to your affidavit of support which adds him to your household size.

Did your parents sponsor your ex-husband?  

Curious, does it matter if the parents joint- sponsored the ex? I’ve seen a few people ask this. I’m asking because I’m in a similar situation and my dad did joint-sponsor my ex. But it’s only been 9 years, so I’m still responsible for him.

Filed: Other Country: Saudi Arabia
Timeline
Just now, RCable said:

Curious, does it matter if the parents joint- sponsored the ex? I’ve seen a few people ask this. I’m asking because I’m in a similar situation and my dad did joint-sponsor my ex. But it’s only been 9 years, so I’m still responsible for him.

If the joint sponsors sponsored the ex then the ex has to be declared as a sponsored immigrant and added to their household size if they sponsor someone else.

Timeline

Oh okay, I get it now. I don’t need any joint sponsors this time around, so my parents won’t be filling out any forms.

Thank you!

Edited by RCable

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
2 hours ago, Nitas_man said:

If the joint sponsors sponsored the ex then the ex has to be declared as a sponsored immigrant and added to their household size if they sponsor someone else.

Yes it matters.   The EX needs to be declared on the new I-864 if she is still covered by the initial I-864.    But then YOU would have to declare your EX on your I-864 as well.

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
7 hours ago, RCable said:

Just to clarify, it's not 10 chronological years, 10 years is shorthand for 40 quarters of work - unless you're 100% sure the immigrant has worked 40 quarters covered under the SSA, you should still consider yourself responsible.

Timeline
3 hours ago, Mollie09 said:

Just to clarify, it's not 10 chronological years, 10 years is shorthand for 40 quarters of work - unless you're 100% sure the immigrant has worked 40 quarters covered under the SSA, you should still consider yourself responsible.

Yeah, I know that. I never said I wasn’t responsible for him, especially since he’s only lived here 9yrs. I was saying that my parents are not sponsoring my husband now. Therefore they don’t have to worry about marking down anything. My question was about why everyone was asking about the parents. I was worried I missed something.

I know I that I have to list my ex on the form though.

Thanks.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.