JeffandNadine

Globe/USA

16 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

My fiancée uses globe to make calls while living in the Philippines. Can globe be used in the United States or will we have to change the cell phone number and switch it to another company within the US?  

16 minutes ago, JeffandNadine said:

My fiancée uses globe to make calls while living in the Philippines. Can globe be used in the United States or will we have to change the cell phone number and switch it to another company within the US?  

Change to USA based carrier, bring her unlocked phone and use it here if you want

ChickBoy

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline

Just get a new cell number with a US carrier. It would be very costly to use existing service in the US with roaming and people from US wouldn’t be calling your fiance even though in the US as they get hit for international calling.

Spouse:

2015-06-16: I-130 Sent

2015-08-17: I-130 approved

2015-09-23: NVC received file

2015-10-05: NVC assigned Case number, Invoice ID & Beneficiary ID

2016-06-30: DS-261 completed, AOS Fee Paid, WL received

2016-07-05: Received IV invoice, IV Fee Paid

2016-07-06: DS-260 Submitted

2016-07-07: AOS and IV Package mailed

2016-07-08: NVC Scan

2016-08-08: Case Complete

2017-06-30: Interview, approved

2017-07-04: Visa in hand

2017-08-01: Entry to US

Myself:

2016-05-10: N-400 Sent

2016-05-16: N-400 NOA1

2016-05-26: Biometrics

2017-01-30: Interview

2017-03-02: Oath Ceremony

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
36 minutes ago, JeffandNadine said:

No Globe in the states.   Need to sign up with a new carrier.   Her unlocked phone might work here, there are lots of depends with that as to brand and then what model even as to what bands it supports.   You can go online to the carrier sites and enter in the IMEI# to see if it will work with that carrier

I have an OPPO I use when in the Phils, when I first brought it to the states it worked fine with ATT, but over time they upgraded services and the OPPO only sort of worked so I had to buy a phone.

I get unlocked GSM/CDMA phones so I am not restricted to certain carriers.

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

On 7/30/2019 at 7:17 AM, JeffandNadine said:

She will have to change carriers and numbers. I just bought us both new Pixel phones. It gave me an excuse to get a new phone))

Not a newbie but lost my old info years ago) I have been through this process before --all the way through naturalization-- This site has always been a great help to me. 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
21 minutes ago, boris64 said:

She will have to change carriers and numbers. I just bought us both new Pixel phones. It gave me an excuse to get a new phone))

We simply put an at&t sim in her Philippines phone.  No issues 

YMMV

Just now, payxibka said:

We simply put an at&t sim in her Philippines phone.  No issues 

Her Philippine Samsung phone would have worked here but it was handed down to her younger brother when she left. She has been using my spare Nexus 6 until we both upgraded...

Not a newbie but lost my old info years ago) I have been through this process before --all the way through naturalization-- This site has always been a great help to me. 

I just changed 3 phones over to AT&T without a problem.  They were on Globe and Smart in the Philippines.  They can't keep their number but that wasn't a problem since all the phones had their call histories and contacts in them.  They used them without a hitch chatting with friends and family back home.  The people back home had to change their numbers but it was not a hassle at all.

PHILIPPINES ONLY!!!  CFO (Commission on Filipinos Overseas) INFO - Can't leave home without it!

PDOS (Pre-Departure Registration and Orientation Seminar) is for ages 20-59.  Peer Counseling is for 13-19 years of age.

It is required to have the visa in their passport for PDOS and Peer Counseling.

GCP (Guidance and Counseling Program) is for K-1 Fiancee and IR/CR-1 spouse ONLY. 

IMG_5168.jpeg

On 7/31/2019 at 12:46 PM, John & Rose said:

I just changed 3 phones over to AT&T without a problem.  They were on Globe and Smart in the Philippines.  They can't keep their number but that wasn't a problem since all the phones had their call histories and contacts in them.  They used them without a hitch chatting with friends and family back home.  The people back home had to change their numbers but it was not a hassle at all.

Everybody my wife knows uses Facebook messenger for everything anyway....

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

Same for my wife there are times she uses FB messenger, other times just picks up the phone as I have the OBI setup here and at our home in the Phils.

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
On 7/30/2019 at 5:17 AM, JeffandNadine said:

I used Globe too back home but when I got here my husband got me a Tmobile phone (iPhone).  Most use FB Messenger and Viber anyways. 🙂

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
4 hours ago, JeffandNadine said:

I asked because my fiancee has no facebook, thanks everyone.

Regular international SMS will cost a fortune. She needs an alternative to that. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
On 8/3/2019 at 9:12 PM, apple21 said:

Regular international SMS will cost a fortune. She needs an alternative to that. 

Exactly my thought, good thing her number is prepaid though she said it is very important for her she has had that number since her first phone early 2000’s. I am getting her an extension line from mine. Our 90 days started yesterday, she’s here so we can take care of that now. Thank you very much! 

@JeffandNadine

She can keep the prepaid sim active by maintaining an outstanding load balance of PHP 100 or PHP 150 if she really wants to keep that number. 

That Globe sim can still receive SMS for free though sending SMS and making or receiving calls will incur hefty charges.

She can download the Globe iOS or Android app to check for load balance or add funds in case you don’t have a spare phone for the Philippine sim.

I agree with everyone, get a US sim to use here. She can keep that Philippine sim in case she wants to visit the Philippines once she gets her AP card and retain the same number. She will just need to load a certain amount per year to keep the load and roaming active. 

Edited by AndreaPerkins

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.