mjoyceb

SS and I-539 for AOS/EAD/AP package

24 posts in this topic

Hi, I'm s K-1 filer having problems getting an SSN because Douglas County, Lawrence, KS has such a low volume of immigrants filing in it thus nobody here knows squat about the need for SS numbers. I didn't realise until now that I could just have filed one using the I-485, but I'm almost done with that, have gotten married within the 90-day window, and also still contending with moving house.

I have two questions: 

• Should I fill out the blanks requesting the Social Security number in the I-485 and I-765 with my number even without the card? I have been to the SSA office in Lawrence for at least three times now just to fix my SS, and I had to have my number dictated to me. They would not write the number, the (somewhat balding) man at the window said he wasn't allowed to share with me. This after I politely insisted on getting a shift supervisor in the last 2 visits, who by the way was an unfriendly brunette white woman who didn't care whether or not my SS petition would expire. I repeated the number to him, but who knows if he just gave me a random number considering my experience thus far.  
  • As my I-94 expires August 12 (I entered May 15), should I file an I-539 and send it along with my AOS/EAD/AP packet?

FYR I've already set up mail forwarding at the USPS to my new mailing address, which is actually just a different (larger) unit within the same apartment complex (I keep the same street address, town, state, and ZIP code). I'm planning to send the packet out today.

All help appreciated, thank you very much. 

PS if anyone here is in the Douglas County or Kansas City areas, please say hi! It's so stressful to find that very few K-1 filers in this area of the Midwest are sharing their experiences online (I go through VJ at least 4 times a week now, starting from my first full week after entry).

Edited by mjoyceb

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline

Your don’t need waste $375 on i-539. Just send AOS package soon.

What do you mean my “you went to SSA office 3 times to fix SS”? What were you trying to fix? Do you have a SSN or not? If you have it, put the number, if you don’t leave it blank. 

Spouse:

2015-06-16: I-130 Sent

2015-08-17: I-130 approved

2015-09-23: NVC received file

2015-10-05: NVC assigned Case number, Invoice ID & Beneficiary ID

2016-06-30: DS-261 completed, AOS Fee Paid, WL received

2016-07-05: Received IV invoice, IV Fee Paid

2016-07-06: DS-260 Submitted

2016-07-07: AOS and IV Package mailed

2016-07-08: NVC Scan

2016-08-08: Case Complete

2017-06-30: Interview, approved

2017-07-04: Visa in hand

2017-08-01: Entry to US

Myself:

2016-05-10: N-400 Sent

2016-05-16: N-400 NOA1

2016-05-26: Biometrics

2017-01-30: Interview

2017-03-02: Oath Ceremony

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

You MUST file the I-485 prior to the expiration of your I-94 to avoid being out of status and subject to deportation.  If you have not been issued a SS card, I wouldn't list the "number"......There is no requirement to have a Social Security card prior to filing the I-485, I-131, and I-765.

"was an unfriendly brunette white woman "

I don't see the race and hair color of the SS supervisor being relevant to the situation.

NO-I-539.

Edited by missileman

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline
1 minute ago, Sparky11564 said:

Just apply for an EIN with the IRS. That will do everything you need until you get your ducks in a row for the SS card.

She has already applied for a SS card.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

49 minutes ago, arken said:

Your don’t need waste $375 on i-539. Just send AOS package soon.

What do you mean my “you went to SSA office 3 times to fix SS”? What were you trying to fix? Do you have a SSN or not? If you have it, put the number, if you don’t leave it blank. 

They couldn't get my maiden name to match up on the I-94, so I had to keep going to the SSA to fix it (I also went to the Global Entry office in KCI Airport to make sure my name would match in both offices). The Lawrence SS office gave me a number but I still don't have the card. I am not comfortable putting the SS number they gave me in the forms without that card because again who knows if they just gave me a random number. Is there any way to double check until the card gets here? 

13 minutes ago, Sparky11564 said:

Just apply for an EIN with the IRS. That will do everything you need until you get your ducks in a row for the SS card.

What's an EIN? Haven't seen any information on this. 

Edited by mjoyceb

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline
1 minute ago, mjoyceb said:

They couldn't get my name to match up on the I-94, so I had to keep going to the SSA to fix it. They gave me a number but I still don't have the card. I am not comfortable putting this number in the forms without that card. Is there any way to double check until the card gets here? 

In that case, leave the SSN spaces blank and don’t wait for the SS card to arrive before sending AOS. If everything is ready, just send it out.

1 minute ago, mjoyceb said:

What's an EIN? Haven't seen any information on this. 

Don’t worry about it. We say, don’t ask for the directions to a place you are not going to.

Spouse:

2015-06-16: I-130 Sent

2015-08-17: I-130 approved

2015-09-23: NVC received file

2015-10-05: NVC assigned Case number, Invoice ID & Beneficiary ID

2016-06-30: DS-261 completed, AOS Fee Paid, WL received

2016-07-05: Received IV invoice, IV Fee Paid

2016-07-06: DS-260 Submitted

2016-07-07: AOS and IV Package mailed

2016-07-08: NVC Scan

2016-08-08: Case Complete

2017-06-30: Interview, approved

2017-07-04: Visa in hand

2017-08-01: Entry to US

Myself:

2016-05-10: N-400 Sent

2016-05-16: N-400 NOA1

2016-05-26: Biometrics

2017-01-30: Interview

2017-03-02: Oath Ceremony

Timeline
3 minutes ago, mjoyceb said:

Is there any way to double check until the card gets here? 

No.  If they gave you a valid number, you should have a card within a couple weeks.  Just file your AOS package without the SS number.....It isn't required.....

50 minutes ago, missileman said:

"was an unfriendly brunette white woman "

I don't see the race and hair color of the SS supervisor being relevant to the situation.

Maybe you're right, it's not relevant, but when she took a look at my SS receipt for the original request, she just laughed at me and said "Well honey if it expires then it expires, sorry we can't help you!" I calmly replied showing her my new I-94, and she still didn't want to work on it. I had to go in a different day with the same corrected I-94 just to get my follow-up request lodged. 

Timeline
2 minutes ago, mjoyceb said:

Maybe you're right, it's not relevant, but when she took a look at my SS receipt for the original request, she just laughed at me and said "Well honey if it expires then it expires, sorry we can't help you!" I calmly replied showing her my new I-94, and she still didn't want to work on it. I had to go in a different day with the same corrected I-94 just to get my follow-up request lodged. 

Maybe you should have tried a different SS office.

1 hour ago, mjoyceb said:

Hi, I'm s K-1 filer having problems getting an SSN because Douglas County, Lawrence, KS has such a low volume of immigrants filing in it thus nobody here knows squat about the need for SS numbers. I didn't realise until now that I could just have filed one using the I-485, but I'm almost done with that, have gotten married within the 90-day window, and also still contending with moving house.

I have two questions: 

• Should I fill out the blanks requesting the Social Security number in the I-485 and I-765 with my number even without the card? YES I have been to the SSA office in Lawrence for at least three times now just to fix my SS, and I had to have my number dictated to me. They would not write the number, the (somewhat balding) man at the window said he wasn't allowed to share with me. This after I politely insisted on getting a shift supervisor in the last 2 visits, who by the way was an unfriendly brunette white woman who didn't care whether or not my SS petition would expire. I repeated the number to him, but who knows if he just gave me a random number considering my experience thus far.  
  • As my I-94 expires August 12 (I entered May 15), should I file an I-539 and send it along with my AOS/EAD/AP packet? NO. You cannot extend your K1 status. Just ensure you file AOS before you become out of status on Day 90.

FYR I've already set up mail forwarding at the USPS to my new mailing address, which is actually just a different (larger) unit within the same apartment complex (I keep the same street address, town, state, and ZIP code). I'm planning to send the packet out today.

All help appreciated, thank you very much. 

PS if anyone here is in the Douglas County or Kansas City areas, please say hi! It's so stressful to find that very few K-1 filers in this area of the Midwest are sharing their experiences online (I go through VJ at least 4 times a week now, starting from my first full week after entry).

Timeline
30 minutes ago, walter99 said:

Hi! 

So, when can you apply for a SSN ? After you have your Green Card , after the marriage, when you arrive in US or ... ?

Please check the K-1 flow chart here: https://www.visajourney.com/content/k1flow/

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.