Jump to content

9 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Hi we are a married  gay couple living in England.  My husband is Italian and I’m American. We were married in New York in 2012. We are both are working and living in England, but are ready to move to America. I’m not sure what the process is or where to start since I’m living in the U.K.  I’ve heard conflicting information which stated I should get an attorney, relocate back to the USA and set up residence. Ideally we would like to stay together and move at the same time. If anyone could give us advice on where to start or recommend a lawyer that would be much appreciated. We both would love to be in the states next year or so. Thanks for taking the time ,any feedback would be great.  Paul

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Uscis.gov international offices, London - get in touch with them to file your case there - shaved off at least 6 months wait time. 


File I-130 there. Follow guide ^^ IR/CR visa guide for spouse of USC. All forms on uscis.gov

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

File your I-130/I-130A petition at the London USCIS office, in person if possible.



March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

I want to thank you all for the replies to my original post.  I will definitely contact the London office when we get back to the U.K.  I was just wondering if we are both living in the U.K. I’m American and my husband is Italian, and are both planning to immigrate back to the United States do I need to relocate permanently in the states without my husband coming with me.  This would be something very difficult for us to do. I’ve heard mixed responses to this question before,, any feedback much appreciated.  

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

If you live in the UK (as your main residence, not just in a tourist status) then you can file through the London office. But be quick - this option will not be available much longer as USCIS is closing its overseas field offices. 


Even if they do close before you file, and you have to file through the Chicago lockbox, it is possible to stay in the UK whilst the application is in process. You will have to satisfy the London embassy that you intend to re-establish domicile in the US. There are lots of threads here on how you can do that. The alternative is to come back to the US for good just before the interview and that satisfies the domicile requirement because you are already here. 


Separation is a reality for almost everyone going through this. It won’t be any harder on you than it is on anyone else. The good news is that no one has died due to being apart during the immigration process. It’s not easy. But it won’t kill you. 

Edited by JFH




Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada

~~Related question merged.~~


Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: Other Country: China

Start by reading this guide.  https://www.visajourney.com/content/dcf/  That you are same gender is irrelevant.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

As mentioned above, if you're quick about it you should be able to apply for DCF

In addition to the guide above, here is the official guidance from the embassy: https://uk.usembassy.gov/embassy-consulates/government-agencies/dhs/uscis/i130filing-html/


It also has a specific check-list for spouses with instructions: https://uk.usembassy.gov/wp-content/uploads/sites/16/USCIS_20190225_i130_Checklist_for_Spouse.pdf


The first step, the I-130, does not require as many extra documents. So, since the USCIS office where you'd be filing this will be closing soon, I'd apply for this ASAP. 

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
  • Create New...