Jump to content
Singh90

K-1 Refused at Montreal Consulate (Asked for CV)

16 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

I am a permanent resident of Canada  but originally from India. I had my K-1 visa interview at US consulate Montreal after 11 months of waiting on July 24, 2019. 

 

I came to Canada about 4 years 8 months ago as a student. I did my masters in engineering here in Canada and I have been working for almost two years in an automotive company.

 

Overall interview  process was pretty smooth, surprisingly  the outcome wasn’t as I was expecting. Interviewer asked me a few questions related to me and my fiancé but tons of question on when and how I came to canada, How old I was when I came to Canada, What program did I study and what kind of work I did in the past or still do, she also asked if I had a copy of my resume, luckily I had one with me. Officer kept the copy of my resume and told me that they were going to refuse my visa as they want additional information. Upon asking what kind of information, I was told that you will receive a form and you will have to answer few questions.

 

later that evening I received an email from the consulate asking for up to date resume with exact dates of start and end dates of my school and jobs I have done.

 

they returned my passport and my case has been put under administrative processing. I had a B1/B2 visa aon my passport, officer cancelled it as well. Stamp says (Cancelled without Prejudice)

 

Can anyone tell if this is a typical case? Even though I forwarded my resume with all the detailed but I am not sure what caused this

Edited by Singh90

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Singh90 said:

I am a permanent resident of Canada  but originally from India. I had my K-1 visa interview at US consulate Montreal after 11 months of waiting on July 24, 2019. 

 

I came to Canada about 4 years 8 months ago as a student. I did my masters in engineering here in Canada and I have been working for almost two years in an automotive company.

 

Overall interview  process was pretty smooth, surprisingly  the outcome wasn’t as I was expecting. Interviewer asked me a few questions related to me and my fiancé but tons of question on when and how I came to canada, How old I was when I came to Canada, What program did I study and what kind of work I did in the past or still do, she also asked if I had a copy of my resume, luckily I had one with me. Officer kept the copy of my resume and told me that they were going to refuse my visa as they want additional information. Upon asking what kind of information, I was told that you will receive a form and you will have to answer few questions.

 

later that evening I received an email from the consulate asking for up to date resume with exact dates of start and end dates of my school and jobs I have done.

 

they returned my passport and my case has been put under administrative processing. I had a B1/B2 visa aon my passport, officer cancelled it as well. Stamp says (Cancelled without Prejudice)

 

Can anyone tell if this is a typical case? Even though I forwarded my resume with all the detailed but I am not sure what caused this

Everyone's case has unique facts and circumstances.  AP is for everyone.   CVs have been requested before.   


YMMV

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, this is common at MTL, most often for those who are not born citizens of Canada, even more so for high fraud/MENA countries. Typically they are checking for any backgrounds/skills/associations that might raise red flags. Your engineering background probably triggered the need for more info. For example I've seen people get scrutinized for backgrounds in areas like biochemical engineering, nuclear and stuff like that. You should be able to dig up some past threads about it. From what I've seen, it typically just means a long AP as they conduct further background checks, but I can't recall ever seeing anyone post about being denied after this.


K1 Visa: 4/14/2018 Mailed I-129f - 4/4/2019 Visa received

 

AOS:
Filed 6/21/2019

NOA1 6/24/2019

Biometrics 7/15/2019

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

This seems highly unusual for Montreal. Not sure why permanent residents are treated differently apparently. It almost sounds like they were trying / are trying to figure out if you were working illegally in Canada so make sure your employment and school dates are exact etc. and that you've always had the proper visa for Canada etc. When did you become a permanent resident?

 

 

Edited by NicoleM

NOA1 - June 15, 2018  

NOA2 - Dec. 6, 2018  

NVC received case Jan. 16, 2019

NVC issued case number - Jan. 17, 2019

Case left NVC - Feb. 5, 2019

Case received at Montreal Consulate - Feb. 7, 2019 

Case changed to "Ready" on CEAC - Feb. 11, 2019

Sent P3 documents - Feb 22, 2019 

Received P4 instructions, paid fee, and booked interview - Feb. 25, 2019 

❤️ My K1 visa interview ❤️ - April 3, 2019 = APPROVED!!

CEAC status changed to ISSUED - April 5, 2019 :D

Visa on Hand - April 8, 2019

US Entry - July 31, 2019

Wedding - October 14, 2019

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, NicoleM said:

This seems highly unusual for Montreal. Not sure why permanent residents are treated differently apparently. It almost sounds like they were trying / are trying to figure out if you were working illegally in Canada so make sure your employment and school dates are exact etc. and that you've always had the proper visa for Canada etc. When did you become a permanent resident?

 

 

I became resident in September 2017, and before that I was on a work permit since November 2015

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Singh90 said:

I became resident in September 2017, and before that I was on a work permit since November 2015

Ok so you're fine there. Just give them everything they ask for and keep us updated.


NOA1 - June 15, 2018  

NOA2 - Dec. 6, 2018  

NVC received case Jan. 16, 2019

NVC issued case number - Jan. 17, 2019

Case left NVC - Feb. 5, 2019

Case received at Montreal Consulate - Feb. 7, 2019 

Case changed to "Ready" on CEAC - Feb. 11, 2019

Sent P3 documents - Feb 22, 2019 

Received P4 instructions, paid fee, and booked interview - Feb. 25, 2019 

❤️ My K1 visa interview ❤️ - April 3, 2019 = APPROVED!!

CEAC status changed to ISSUED - April 5, 2019 :D

Visa on Hand - April 8, 2019

US Entry - July 31, 2019

Wedding - October 14, 2019

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, NicoleM said:

This seems highly unusual for Montreal. Not sure why permanent residents are treated differently apparently. 

They are treated differently essentially because it's common for high fraud countries to use low fraud countries as a gateway to an American visa. So people who are initially from countries that are more scrutinized for visas will be scrutinized accordingly even when applying through a less-scrutinized country. It's not all PRs, it varies based on where they've come from. 


K1 Visa: 4/14/2018 Mailed I-129f - 4/4/2019 Visa received

 

AOS:
Filed 6/21/2019

NOA1 6/24/2019

Biometrics 7/15/2019

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, MeghanK said:

Yes, this is common at MTL, most often for those who are not born citizens of Canada, even more so for high fraud/MENA countries. Typically they are checking for any backgrounds/skills/associations that might raise red flags. Your engineering background probably triggered the need for more info. For example I've seen people get scrutinized for backgrounds in areas like biochemical engineering, nuclear and stuff like that. You should be able to dig up some past threads about it. From what I've seen, it typically just means a long AP as they conduct further background checks, but I can't recall ever seeing anyone post about being denied after this.

Thank you for your comment Meghan. That’s what I figured when I did some research after I came home. Officer did ask further questions on my work and responsibilities, more in detail about robotics 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, MeghanK said:

They are treated differently essentially because it's common for high fraud countries to use low fraud countries as a gateway to an American visa. So people who are initially from countries that are more scrutinized for visas will be scrutinized accordingly even when applying through a less-scrutinized country. It's not all PRs, it varies based on where they've come from. 

Oh interesting ok


NOA1 - June 15, 2018  

NOA2 - Dec. 6, 2018  

NVC received case Jan. 16, 2019

NVC issued case number - Jan. 17, 2019

Case left NVC - Feb. 5, 2019

Case received at Montreal Consulate - Feb. 7, 2019 

Case changed to "Ready" on CEAC - Feb. 11, 2019

Sent P3 documents - Feb 22, 2019 

Received P4 instructions, paid fee, and booked interview - Feb. 25, 2019 

❤️ My K1 visa interview ❤️ - April 3, 2019 = APPROVED!!

CEAC status changed to ISSUED - April 5, 2019 :D

Visa on Hand - April 8, 2019

US Entry - July 31, 2019

Wedding - October 14, 2019

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Singh90 said:

Thank you for your comment Meghan. That’s what I figured when I did some research after I came home. Officer did ask further questions on my work and responsibilities, more in detail about robotics 

Here's a similar example, this person got their visa in 7 weeks. 

 

 

Here's one that was 7 months

Overall I'd say do not stress, just be prepared for extra patience. It's good that they gave you your passport back in the sense that, you aren't trapped in Canada while you wait. Good luck! 


K1 Visa: 4/14/2018 Mailed I-129f - 4/4/2019 Visa received

 

AOS:
Filed 6/21/2019

NOA1 6/24/2019

Biometrics 7/15/2019

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, MeghanK said:

Here's a similar example, this person got their visa in 7 weeks. 

 

 

Here's one that was 7 months

Overall I'd say do not stress, just be prepared for extra patience. It's good that they gave you your passport back in the sense that, you aren't trapped in Canada while you wait. Good luck! 

Make sense! I can relate very well to my case. As I saw few Canadian citizens (actually born citizens) just going in and out of the interview rooms with their visas granted under three or four minutes.Thanks again for your inputs and the knowledge that you guys shared is definitely helping settle down the stress. Let’s see how long it takes!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My husband was asked for his CV at his ir1 interview. I expected since they had asked for this for is past b1/j1 visas. Oddly enough hubby didn't expect it. We had our interview on Nov 28th, webgave them digital and hard copy with in a week. During this time there was a goverment shutdown. But on march 20th after sending the embassy many emails, we finally was told we were approved.

 

His business trips were to a major USA airplane manufacturing company to conduit training and business meeting, and has been offically working one (different company) on his greencard for about 1.5 months now. His AP was triggered because of his engineering degree from Ukraine and what he did in Russia.

 

For his B1/J1 visas AP took 1 month, but this one took us nearly 4 months. Again we had a goverment shut down, and the russian embassy is under staffed.

 

Did you guys at least submit what they wanted, sorry I might have iver looked you saying that you replied to the email. They requested my hubby's 2 times. Digital hours bafter interview and then the hard copy the following day.


I-130 CR1 Timeline  Visa has been issued!!!!!! = ^.^= YAY!

Spoiler

Service Center - Texas

Sent Jan 2nd 2018 

PD: Jan 3rd 2018

E-notification: Jan 8th 2018

NOA1 Hard copy: Jan 12th 2018

NOA2: June 28th 2018, new website. Old website: July 17th sent to DOS (finally appeared July 29th, after 206 days after petition sent and stating not found) Emails & texts: nothing. Hard Copy states NoA2 is June 27, 2018.

NOA2: Hard copy: July 2nd 2018

Sent to DOS: New Website: July 18th 2018. Old website July 17th (Case number was finally found after 206 days of submitting petition, appeared on July 29th.)

Received NVC: July 24th 2018, per calling NVC option 5. 

New Case number #: Via email August 21st 2018. While on the phone with the hubby. Case is PIVOT. 

Fees paid August 21st 2018. Marked as paid on August 23rd 2018.

DS-260 filled and submitted:  August 27th 2018

AOS documents filled and submitted: August 29th, 2018

IV Documents: Submitted August 31st, 2018

Case Complete: September 11th 2018 via website 
Received Interview data: From embassy Oct 13, from NVC: Oct 15th.
Interview: originally Nov 27th, rescheduled to Nov 29th.

AP

Spoiler

Nov 26th 2018 AP.
Interviewed on Nov 29th, was told everything is good, asked for CV / resume, kept passport.

Nov 29th Email submitted.

Nov 30th They sent us an email for a physical copy.

Dec 3rd Submitted. Dec 4th They received.

Dec 7th, 14th,18th, 19th, 20th case was touched.

Dec 21st ready for Pick up. Dec 23rd pick up passport with no visa.  Was told due to holidays they resent passport incase Husband needed it, and to return it back on Jan 9th.

Jan 15th, sent off passport back to Embassy, Jan 16th case updated and received passport. 
Jan 24th case touched. Feb 1st sent email asking if they needed anything from us, replied Feb 5th stating still going thru AP, no change on website. Feb 13th, case was touched. March 5th sent email (not by travel docs) asking what we are waiting on, received auto email, unsure if case touched was touch per auto email.
March 5th, 7th case was touched. Also UStraveldocs passport states "There is no status update available for the passport number submitted"

March 15 Sent message via ustraveldocs about what's going on etc etc.
March 19: reply from Embassy Stating we have been approved and should get visa in 1-2 business days! 

March 20th: Issued!!!!! ViH: March 21st.
POE: Aiming for April 26th. 

Our Visits

Spoiler

Him: J1 Visa (no 2 home requirement) May 2015-Nov 2016 Officially met: Late July 2015 Started relationship mid-Aug 2015

Business trip B1 (Him): May 2017 - Nov 2017

2nd Business trip (Him): Feb 2018 - May 31st 2018

Visit Russia: 1st visit - TBA

2nd visit hopefully when he moves to the USA.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Singh90 said:

Make sense! I can relate very well to my case. As I saw few Canadian citizens (actually born citizens) just going in and out of the interview rooms with their visas granted under three or four minutes.Thanks again for your inputs and the knowledge that you guys shared is definitely helping settle down the stress. Let’s see how long it takes!

Why do you think they aren't born Canadian citizens? Where i grew up in Ottawa there were so many races that we're Canadian born citizens. Just from the look of your skin or facial features you won't know if someone is born in Canada or not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, purem4g1c said:

Why do you think they aren't born Canadian citizens? Where i grew up in Ottawa there were so many races that we're Canadian born citizens. Just from the look of your skin or facial features you won't know if someone is born in Canada or not.

There were two of them in line standing with me. We spoke for about 40 minutes or so, they asked me few details and I asked them the same. What I mean by born Canadian citizens was someone who was born here. Did I say anything about skin or facial feature! Did I say someone with a yellow or peach skin was granted a visa? I was just trying to agree to the point that yes there’s surely more background check for people like me who become residents but aren’t born here. On top of that, whatever my mentality is about skin or facial feature is None of your Business. I am here to seek help and find out what experts think of this case. Please don’t take otherwise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -


Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
×
×
  • Create New...