clw654321

Crossing into Mexico

40 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
2 hours ago, JunkTardis said:

Why the heck would you guys wait so long to file? Not trying to be rude or anything, but isn't that like roulette? Particularly given you're right by border checkpoints.

The more cases I see with later filers, the more I think my wife and I were extremely prepared. We filed about 1-2 weeks after our wedding once we got a marriage certficate etc. No reason to wait, all it does is prolong the period of being unable to work or travel

5 minutes ago, HRQX said:

OP's wife married and filed for AOS within 1 month of US entry: https://www.visajourney.com/timeline/profile.php?id=300239

US entry: 04-12-19

Marriage: 04-26-19

Date I-485 filed: 05-03-19

Thanks @HRQX I literally just woke up and saw this.

Not trying to be rude or anything but there is an option to look at others timelines and I put that we filed in May right above your comments. ;) 

Edited by clw654321

21 minutes ago, clw654321 said:

Thanks @HRQX I literally just woke up and saw this.

Not trying to be rude or anything but there is an option to look at others timelines and I put that we filed in May right above your comments. ;) 

Apologies, the error is mine. This is what happens when I come on the clunkier VJ on my phone, welp 😂

Timeline

Apparently there is a way to go across the border but before marriage according to the link I posted. Also it’s still risky and doesn’t make a lot of sense to me why you could.

Definitely should wait on a travel permit.

Just reading that link really confused me before I made this topic.

Thanks again everyone!

20 hours ago, Paul & Mary said:

The CBP site is a little less clear. It expressly mentions students and non immigrant workers.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1218/kw/revalidate visa/session/L3RpbWUvMTQ0NTAwMjEwMC9zaWQvWTk4dVk0em0%3D

Instead of the CBP site, should read the "the automatic revalidation provision of immigration law." 22 CFR § 41.112(d): https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/22/41.112#d

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

There are people on VJ who have done this, strikes me as something to be done if it was essential, probable not wise for a Taco.

Edited by Boiler

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Just now, Boiler said:

There are [people on VJ who have done this, strikes me as something to be done if it was essential, probable not wise for a Taco.

Some people will do anything for a great taco.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline
22 hours ago, clw654321 said:

My wife and I are still waiting on her travel permit. We are in Del Rio right now and have read that although the K1 is a single entry visa you are allowed to walk across the border to Canada or Mexico.

We were wanting to visit Mexico for just an hour or two if this is 100% true. Thanks in advance!!!

Where do you hear stuff like this? I am super curious now.

You (and her) are free to cross to any place you want, but they are not going to let her back in without a Green Card or Advance Parole document. (Document in hand, not the approval of it)

People need to stop spreading misinformation.

14 minutes ago, ineedadisplayname said:

Where do you hear stuff like this? I am super curious now...

The automatic revalidation provision of immigration law (22 CFR § 41.112(d)): https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/22/41.112#d OP's wife doesn't qualify. The individuals that qualify will likely encounter CBP officers that don't know about the provision.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline
22 hours ago, clw654321 said:

No. I read it somewhere else but trust here more.

Check this link.

https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/can-fiance-k-1-visa-quick-trip-canada-mexico.html

Also type in google automatic visa revalidation

Trusting nolo.com for visa travel advice is about as smart as wiring your house after watching a YouTube video. Good advice: If there's a significant risk of getting barred from re-entry, then don't leave. Without possession of a GC, international travel should be avoided. No bargain or taco is worth the hassle.

Timeline
1 hour ago, Jorgedig said:

Some people will do anything for a great taco.

The Mexican food in Del Rio was good enough lol.

We were only 45 minutes from the border where we went on vacation so we just were curious. My wife saw a couple random links stating that.

Thats why I asked here. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.