Jump to content
noodle192000

Will a past K-1 marriage count against me?

13 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Hi, Everyone,

 

Ten years ago I brought a man over from China on a K-1 visa and the marriage did not last a year.  Long story short, I had a miscarriage and he disappeared, prompting me to file for divorce.  Years later, he messaged me to let me know that he ended up back in China after "doing some stupid things" in the state he ran off to, but I did not get details on whether or not he went by choice or got into legal trouble and was deported.  I do have medical records that verify the pregnancy, etc. but since our marriage was so short we didn't have any joint leases or anything like that.

 

So, fast forward to today.  I have not been married since but have been dating a researcher at a  local university who is here with a J visa and he has expressed an interest in getting married.  I am terrified, though, that the disaster of the past marriage will come back to haunt me with immigration.  Does anyone have any experience with this?  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No issue with the prior K1.


March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You may want to research J-1 waivers if he is restricted with the 2 year residency rule. 


01/28/2019 - Mailed Express Mail USCIS Lockbox Phoenix

01/29/2019 - Received by Phoenix Lockbox
02/04/2019 - Receipt Notice Via Text Message assigned to Nebraska Service Center 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, JMPM said:

You may want to research J-1 waivers if he is restricted with the 2 year residency rule. 

I have.  My main concern is that the past marriage would make it so it wouldn't even be possible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, noodle192000 said:

I have.  My main concern is that the past marriage would make it so it wouldn't even be possible.

You won't have an issue as long as your divorced. Life happens and they know that. 


01/28/2019 - Mailed Express Mail USCIS Lockbox Phoenix

01/29/2019 - Received by Phoenix Lockbox
02/04/2019 - Receipt Notice Via Text Message assigned to Nebraska Service Center 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, noodle192000 said:

Hi, Everyone,

 

Ten years ago I brought a man over from China on a K-1 visa and the marriage did not last a year.  Long story short, I had a miscarriage and he disappeared, prompting me to file for divorce.  Years later, he messaged me to let me know that he ended up back in China after "doing some stupid things" in the state he ran off to, but I did not get details on whether or not he went by choice or got into legal trouble and was deported.  I do have medical records that verify the pregnancy, etc. but since our marriage was so short we didn't have any joint leases or anything like that.

 

So, fast forward to today.  I have not been married since but have been dating a researcher at a  local university who is here with a J visa and he has expressed an interest in getting married.  I am terrified, though, that the disaster of the past marriage will come back to haunt me with immigration.  Does anyone have any experience with this?  

 

Are you legally divorced from the first man?

 

USCIS would only care if it had been under two years ago that you petitioned for the K-1, and were now petitioning for a second one.

 

Probably the best option is to marry while he is here on the J-1, file an I-130 and an I-485, and then try for a J-1 HRR waiver if applicable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Jorgedig said:

Are you legally divorced from the first man?

 

USCIS would only care if it had been under two years ago that you petitioned for the K-1, and were now petitioning for a second one.

 

Probably the best option is to marry while he is here on the J-1, file an I-130 and an I-485, and then try for a J-1 HRR waiver if applicable.

Yes, we legally divorced in November 2010, thankfully. Thanks for the info...I'm looking into it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This won't be a problem. I have a previous K1 marriage and am going to be marrying my L1B boyfriend in the next year or so. I was advised on here that my previous marriage won't affect my upcoming marriage. Good luck and best wishes!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, noodle192000 said:

Hi, Everyone,

 

Ten years ago I brought a man over from China on a K-1 visa and the marriage did not last a year.  Long story short, I had a miscarriage and he disappeared, prompting me to file for divorce.  Years later, he messaged me to let me know that he ended up back in China after "doing some stupid things" in the state he ran off to, but I did not get details on whether or not he went by choice or got into legal trouble and was deported.  I do have medical records that verify the pregnancy, etc. but since our marriage was so short we didn't have any joint leases or anything like that.

 

So, fast forward to today.  I have not been married since but have been dating a researcher at a  local university who is here with a J visa and he has expressed an interest in getting married.  I am terrified, though, that the disaster of the past marriage will come back to haunt me with immigration.  Does anyone have any experience with this?  

 

Not after so long

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can attest with personal experience. No impact. Good Luck!


Not a newbie but lost my old info years ago) I have been through this process before --all the way through naturalization-- This site has always been a great help to me. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -


Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
×
×
  • Create New...