vanmaren

Different situation

25 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline
16 minutes ago, Russ&Caro said:

Haha, you're a kind soul. You should get that certification that allows you to marry people, then you'd have a full service shop. Of course, the local chapels might not look upon you so kindly.

OP, you have options!

Tons of people are ordained, or registered to perform ceremonies here in Vegas. A lot of people do it, takes about 30 days to do as I have looked into it, and it is really cheap to apply, total cost is under a hundred bucks I think, you are basically just paying for the background check. The only caveat is you have to perform a minimum of 5 ceremonies a year. I could probably hit that mark, maybe it is something I will do, I can offer an express service. I pick you up at the airport or bus terminal, run you to the License Bureau, get your license, marry people right there, or wherever they want in Clark county, and return them to the airport for their flight home a few hours later. Hmmmmmm. might be onto something here. Then they can order their license as soon as they get home, or if we do it on a weekday, I can take them to the clerks office register the wedding, and they can get their copies then and there before they leave. total time maybe 3-4 hours, and of course offer a Visa Journey discount!!!

Edited by Loren Y

Here on a K1? Need married and a Certificate in hand within a few hours? I'm here to help. Come to Vegas and I'll marry you Vegas style!!   Visa Journey members are always FREE for my services. I know the costs involved in this whole game of immigration, and if I can save you some money I will!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
22 hours ago, Going through said:

The K-1 expired the moment she set foot in the US.  The I-94 is the controlling document, and you need to marry before the expiration in the I-94 (90 days from the date of her POE).

One option would be for the two of you to marry asap, and file a concurrent i-485 and i-130 based on marriage to a USC and with a legal entry.  You'll have to eat the cost of a i-130 with your package, but it is a fixable problem, and she would be legally authorized to remain in the US while it is pending.

If they managed to get married in the next two days, i don’t think they would have to file the I130 since they would fulfill the requirements of the K1 (married within 90 days), and only an I485 would be required.  Otherwise, I agree with @NikLR, stay, get married and adjust since she is already here.

Edited by Bill & Katya

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

1 hour ago, Loren Y said:

Vegas is a 20-22 hour drive from Texas, you can be married within a hour of showing up here, and that is if you take your time, roll on up, you can stay at my house no problem, I have a few extra rooms anyway, and you don't want to try to get a room up here on the 4th of July weekend.

Road trip to Loren's! 

9 minutes ago, Loren Y said:

Why not! I already VRBO, and Air B&B. I'm already set up. I decided to go forward with becoming an officiant to do marriages in Las Vegas. I'm at the clerk's office now, turning in the application. In 30 days or so I'll be offering Free marriages for VJ members. I will accept gratuities of course.. LOL

Super idea!  Especially for those who wouldn't particularly wish to be married by Elvis.

Timeline
42 minutes ago, Jorgedig said:

Super idea!  Especially for those who wouldn't particularly wish to be married by Elvis.

All registered, waiting on the background check ( As if I haven't done enough of those) and then get all legal, and let the weddings begin!!!!

MOR_000138.jpg

Here on a K1? Need married and a Certificate in hand within a few hours? I'm here to help. Come to Vegas and I'll marry you Vegas style!!   Visa Journey members are always FREE for my services. I know the costs involved in this whole game of immigration, and if I can save you some money I will!

5 hours ago, HRQX said:

In that case, will the overseas medical (if marked complete) be valid? Or will a completed I-693 be required at the I-485 interview?

My understanding is that a medical examination conducted by a panel physician only applies to those who adjust status via the underlying petition granting the NIV. To AOS via an I-130, one must have an I-693 completed by a civil surgeon instead.

Similarly, there are people who completed a medical overseas for a K-1 visa but never obtained the visa. Instead they entered the US, married, and filed for AOS via their non-K1 status. I can't recall any circumstances of being able to use the existing medical examination.

Although this is certainly a path less traveled, so there absolutely could be a provision in the AFM or policy manual that I missed. But barring evidence of it existing (if anybody has some, I'd like to see!), I would err on the side of a new medical being necessary.

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
2 hours ago, Loren Y said:

Why not! I already VRBO, and Air B&B. I'm already set up. I decided to go forward with becoming an officiant to do marriages in Las Vegas. I'm at the clerk's office now, turning in the application. In 30 days or so I'll be offering Free marriages for VJ members. I will accept gratuities of course.. LOL

We need an official VJ Meet Up Party at Loren's house !!!  :D 

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 14, 2017 (Day 00) -  Submitted N400 Application, filed online

July 21, 2017 (Day 07) -  NOA Receipt received in the mail

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 25, 2017 (Day 11) - Biometrics PDF posted online

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 08, 2017 (Day 24) - Biometrics (fingerprinting) completed

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Naturalization Interview--- read my experience here

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

Oct. 02, 2017 (Day 79) -  Oath Ceremony Letter received in the mail

Oct. 19, 2017 (Day 96) -  Oath Ceremony-- read my experience here

Timeline
15 minutes ago, Going through said:

We need an official VJ Meet Up Party at Loren's house !!!  :D 

This might work, we can set up a date every 90 days or so and I can perform a big group wedding ceremony!!! Everyone coming in on a K1 that wants to get married can show up. IF they fill out their wedding license application online a few days before they show up it is a really quick process at the license bureau. I can pull a permit from the city and we could do a group wedding in front of the fountains at Bellagio, or maybe a group ceremony at the Las Vegas Sign. The ideas are endless. Red Rock, The MOB Museum, Fremont street, etc. etc. Maybe at the Nevada Test site, start your new life at ground zero for Nuclear testing!!! Area 51 for the " Out of this World" experience.

5 hours ago, HRQX said:

Agreed.

In that case, will the overseas medical (if marked complete) be valid? Or will a completed I-693 be required at the I-485 interview?

Im not sure. 

Edited by NikLR

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.