Jump to content
KelsJosh

Getting Drivers license

16 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Hey! So I am not sure if this is the right section to post this, but I went to go get my drivers license today (second attempt) in Colorado.

 

The first time I didn't have my 797c notice for AOS, this time i did.

The lady put all my info in and at the end said it wasn't working and that SAVE wasn't updated yet, and said they will send me a letter when its updated and when I can come back.

 

I entered the U.S. on April 1st, 2019 and I have my SSN as well. 

 

My question is, does SAVE update with each status change (so SAVE hasnt updated that I have applied for AOS yet) ?

 

Or does it seem like she did something wrong? Super confused as to why it wouldn't have gone through (the receipt date on my AOS is June 21, 2019) 

 

Hoping someone could shed some light on this for me lol, thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, KelsJosh said:

Hey! So I am not sure if this is the right section to post this, but I went to go get my drivers license today (second attempt) in Colorado.

 

The first time I didn't have my 797c notice for AOS, this time i did.

The lady put all my info in and at the end said it wasn't working and that SAVE wasn't updated yet, and said they will send me a letter when its updated and when I can come back.

 

I entered the U.S. on April 1st, 2019 and I have my SSN as well. 

 

My question is, does SAVE update with each status change (so SAVE hasnt updated that I have applied for AOS yet) ?

 

Or does it seem like she did something wrong? Super confused as to why it wouldn't have gone through (the receipt date on my AOS is June 21, 2019) 

 

Hoping someone could shed some light on this for me lol, thanks!

For me I waited 30 days and then called the dmv then they gave me legal presence office phone number. My file was already verified and sitting at a desk for 3 weeks. (However this was California- and I applied after getting my EAD cause they don’t accept 797c for license there)

 

if if you had a name change etc. or they had to check it manually when you had your ssn, this may be the issue.

 

go to uscis savecheck site and check your case to see if it already returned to dmv. 

 

I believe Save doesn’t really update with each status unless you got the status. But If save doesn’t return or there is a mismatch they can start a manual check. If you are sure they accept the 797c notice for driving license in Colorado, I’d say ask for a manual check. If they said they will do a manual check then check your save status yourself to see if the check has been returned to agency and call them afterwards.

 

it also matters at which stage you are at the moment on getting your license. 

 

Good luck!

 

 


Check your case status at the new website : https://myaccount.uscis.dhs.gov

USPS INFORMED DELIVERY https://informeddelivery.usps.com/box/pages/intro/start.action

 

How to talk to a live person at USCIShttps://goo.gl/54z5bZ

What to do after NOA2 Approval? How to contact NVCClick here for info - https://goo.gl/KggThF

If you cannot get NVC on the phone try this - https://secureforms.travel.state.gov/ask-nvc.php

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did you change your name through marriage after you entered the US?  One of the problems at some DMV offices is that until your AOS is actually granted, your SSN and records in SAVE are still in the name that you used on your visa. Not sure if this is applicable to you. 


Lee & William

8/2/2014 - Sent I-129F Petition with USPS by Express Mail    
8/4/2014 - I-129F delivered to dropbox    8/6/2014 - NOA1 Text/E-Mail received    8/11/2014 - Alien Registration Number Changed (Text/E-Mail) / NOA1 Letter received by Mail    3/16/2015 - NOA2 Text/E-Mail received (224 days)    3/20/2015 - Sent to NVC    3/31/2015 - NVC Received    4/1/2015 - Case Number Assigned       4/7/2015 - NVC Sent to Embassy    4/10/2015 - London Embassy Received    4/11/2015 - Medical     4/15/2015 - Packet 3 Received    4/12/2015 - Packet 3 Sent    4/23/2015 - Packet 4 Received    5/18/2015 - Interview - APPROVED     5/30/2015 - Visa collected from courier    6/1/2015 - POE    6/14/2015 - Wedding 💍💍
 
N400
06/30/2019 - Filed online
06/30/2019 - NOA1
07/16/2019 - Biometrics completed (early walk in - successful) 
⏱⏱⏱ ....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

~~Moved to Moving Here and Your New Life, from AOS Family K1/K3- As similar threads are discussed here.~~

Edited by Ontarkie

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does Colorado accept 797c as proof of legal presence? I got a licence here in Michigan with that. It took 10 days for them to check my status. I was told it could take up to 3 months for them to get a response back so in the end I was pleased it was only 10 days.  I think the problem is SAVE and maybe backlogs , not the DMV. Here's an article explaining the problems that can be encountered: https://www.cilawgroup.com/news/2014/01/16/the-save-system-driving-licenses-and-proving-valid-status/.

I hope you get it sorted soon as I know how frustrating it can be. I was nearly going out of my mind during those 10 days at the prospect of being stuck at home for another 3 months. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, wbeem said:

Did you change your name through marriage after you entered the US?  One of the problems at some DMV offices is that until your AOS is actually granted, your SSN and records in SAVE are still in the name that you used on your visa. Not sure if this is applicable to you. 

100% true.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

These are the required documents for Colorado.

It makes no mention of having a pending AOS application as a method to extend your temporary 90 day DL and says you must have an unexpired I94 or EAD (or GC).

 

https://www.colorado.gov/pacific/sites/default/files/DR2300B.pdf

Screenshot_20190701-140730_OneDrive.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, K1visaHopeful said:

These are the required documents for Colorado.

It makes no mention of having a pending AOS application as a method to extend your temporary 90 day DL and says you must have an unexpired I94 or EAD (or GC).

 

https://www.colorado.gov/pacific/sites/default/files/DR2300B.pdf

On page 2 of that document it says:

Quote

Proof of lawful presence has been established when an applicant provides documentary evidence (verified by SAVE), that demonstrates that the applicant:

[...]

8. Has a pending application for adjustment of status to Permanent Resident or Conditional Permanent Resident

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, RLA said:

On page 2 of that document it says:

 

I have not seen any evidence that Save will verify pending AOS. I think that's the kicker.

I would have been able to receive a DL with my own pending I485 if it had.

In some states they manually accept I797c's without verification through DHS. That's the difference. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/1/2019 at 11:52 AM, fip & jim said:

Does Colorado accept 797c as proof of legal presence? I got a licence here in Michigan with that. It took 10 days for them to check my status. I was told it could take up to 3 months for them to get a response back so in the end I was pleased it was only 10 days.  I think the problem is SAVE and maybe backlogs , not the DMV. Here's an article explaining the problems that can be encountered: https://www.cilawgroup.com/news/2014/01/16/the-save-system-driving-licenses-and-proving-valid-status/.

I hope you get it sorted soon as I know how frustrating it can be. I was nearly going out of my mind during those 10 days at the prospect of being stuck at home for another 3 months. 

Nope I didn't change my name and yes they accept 797c. I went origionally without it and they turned me away and said when i get it to bring it in. When i went back with it they just said SAVE wasnt updated yet.. and that they would send me a letter in the mail when it is updated and i can go back in to get my license.

I still have my Canadian license i can use its not a big deal in that sense i can still drive :) but for many other things they always ask for the state drivers license, so it would be so much less hassle to have it...Even to get a fishing license its easier/cheaper lol, little things but I feel like its more so the basic things I had in Canada have been stripped and it's irritating how difficult it is to get them back when you are doing everything right lol. I know I signed up for it, but still frusterating! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/1/2019 at 10:56 AM, purem4g1c said:

i transferred my ontario's driver license in florida with just my i-94, ssn, and two pieces of paper with your address on them.. wasn't aware you need i-797 unless its a colorado specific thing...? O_O

Yeah each state is different unfortunately, I wish it was that easy 😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, KelsJosh said:

Nope I didn't change my name and yes they accept 797c. I went origionally without it and they turned me away and said when i get it to bring it in. When i went back with it they just said SAVE wasnt updated yet.. and that they would send me a letter in the mail when it is updated and i can go back in to get my license.

I still have my Canadian license i can use its not a big deal in that sense i can still drive :) but for many other things they always ask for the state drivers license, so it would be so much less hassle to have it...Even to get a fishing license its easier/cheaper lol, little things but I feel like its more so the basic things I had in Canada have been stripped and it's irritating how difficult it is to get them back when you are doing everything right lol. I know I signed up for it, but still frusterating! 

So it's them waiting for SAVE to verify then. 

I know the frustration. Hope it gets sorted soon. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, K1visaHopeful said:

I have not seen any evidence that Save will verify pending AOS. I think that's the kicker.

I would have been able to receive a DL with my own pending I485 if it had.

In some states they manually accept I797c's without verification through DHS. That's the difference. 

Yeah I was confused with what I've read online, and after the 2nd time at the licensing office I have just been irritated that nobody knows the proper info to give me, the people I've talked to don't really understand what they are talking about and seem like they are guessing when giving me advice or info constantly asking their managers and looking completely lost (which is unfortunate since they are the only ones that can help me) I feel for them because I know they are trying their best but it's really not helping me lol.

 

Even at the DMV i had to go back 3 times to get my vehicle registered in Colorado ( first time i needed to get emissions test and VIN verification so that was fine) but i had to come back 2 more times because employees didnt know how to properly do the paperwork and said i was missing a form or needed customs to fill out the HS7 form (which they dont and i told her that and she called her trainer and even she was wrong.. YIKES) 

 So i called a point of entry and talked to a very nice lady who explained its an informal form i just fill out they dont do anything with it. It was a mess.

 

I ended up finally getting a lady who knew what she was doing with the same paperwork as the last 2 times and got it figured out.

 

I thought it would be easy since the vehicle was made and purchased from the U.S. and imported into Canada... and had all the stickers and stuff but apparantly not 😂😂

 

SSN i had to go back 2 times as well because they didnt put my info in properly. The second time the lady had no issues with the same info and got it done. 

 

I knew things wouldn't be easy, as I have lived in different countries before but I didn't think it would be this ridiculous LOL. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -


Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
×
×
  • Create New...