calberry

Are there any exemptions for an interview

12 posts in this topic

I'm hoping my mom's sister can come with my mom to visit me (I'm a USC) in the US at some point. My parents have been coming to the US for many years on a B2 visa and have 5 more years left on it so they're fine. Here's the situation:

1. My mom's sister has a lot of anxiety about standing in line and doing an interview for a visa and doesn't think she can do it

2. She's been taking medication for anxiety for many years

3. In addition to anxiety she's also on a wheelchair

4. The last time she visited the US was 25 years ago

5. Her family is very wealthy, well known, and showing ties to her home country is easy

Is it possible at all to get a B2 visa (or even a EB-5 visa) without an interview or should we give up on the idea of her ever coming to the US? Does anyone have any creative ideas? :) 

1. Wealthy family is not a tie.

2. I'm sure Embassy can accommodate someone on the wheelchair.

3. Your mom's sister needs to suck it up and go to the embassy for her interview. No exemptions.

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

09.2015 - Green Card received.  

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

01.08.2018 - RoC approved. 

10 minutes ago, Roel said:

1. Wealthy family is not a tie.

Yes, that makes sense -- someone could be wealthy and not have ties. However, in her case she's the owner of multiple businesses and employs many hundreds of people. Whatever the bar is for ties, be it for family, work, real estate, community etc she should pass

2. I'm sure Embassy can accommodate someone on the wheelchair.

Yes, that's probably true

3. Your mom's sister needs to suck it up and go to the embassy for her interview. No exemptions.

Makes sense. Oh well. She's probably not going to come then. My parents were able to renew their B2 visas without an interview and I was hoping there was some way to get an exemption for her too 

Unfortunately probably everyone gets stressed by going to the Embassy, so yeah, no exemptions there.

Applying for new B2 visa and renewing old existing visa are two different things.

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

09.2015 - Green Card received.  

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

01.08.2018 - RoC approved. 

42 minutes ago, calberry said:

I'm hoping my mom's sister can come with my mom to visit me (I'm a USC) in the US at some point. My parents have been coming to the US for many years on a B2 visa and have 5 more years left on it so they're fine. Here's the situation:

1. My mom's sister has a lot of anxiety about standing in line and doing an interview for a visa and doesn't think she can do it

5. Her family is very wealthy, well known, and showing ties to her home country is easy

Is it possible at all to get a B2 visa (or even a EB-5 visa) without an interview or should we give up on the idea of her ever coming to the US? Does anyone have any creative ideas? :) 

Unfortunately, no. Everybody needs to be interviewed.

Also, I see no issues with your sister's condition. In fact, she may have easier access to the entrance of the building and may be seen earlier than the other applicants since she has these conditions.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline
4 hours ago, calberry said:

Anxiety is why my mother has never visited me. So either she needs to just try to manage her anxiety or just give up on visiting the US. 

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

You can email the embassy and explain the situation. No harm asking. 

Edited by apple21
Edit

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline
5 minutes ago, apple21 said:

If her anxiety is that bad, is she not taking any medication to keep it at bay?

Meds are not a miracle cure for anxiety. OP mentioned her aunt is taking meds.

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
Just now, Unidentified said:

Meds are not a miracle cure for anxiety. OP mentioned her aunt is taking meds.

Yeah. My mistake. I already edited my comment. 

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
7 hours ago, calberry said:

Yes, that makes sense -- someone could be wealthy and not have ties. However, in her case she's the owner of multiple businesses and employs many hundreds of people. Whatever the bar is for ties, be it for family, work, real estate, community etc she should pass

Then presumably she's wealthy enough to be able to hire someone else to do the day to day running of her businesses and doesn't need to be there?

It's a silly thing I know, but when it comes to ties to home countries and tourist visas you have to do some real mental gymnastics.

Every thing you think of as a concrete tie you have to then think of how it could possibly be turned around and used against them, see it from the COs perspective as someone who by law has to think that everyone coming up to their window is lying.

Documents mean nothing thanks to the ease of forgery. 

It's all down to a gut instinct decision based on a single questionnaire and a conversation that can be anything from 2 minutes to 10 minutes long and whether or not the CO thinks the person in front of them is trustworthy.

August 2000: We start e-mailing. I'm in Bosnia, she's in Florida

October 29th 2000: She sends me e-mail asking if I would marry her

October 29th 2000(5 seconds later): I say yes

November 2000: She sends me tickets to Orlando for when I get back

December 6th 2000: Return from Bos

December 11th 2000: Fly to Orlando, she meets me at airport

December 22nd 2000: I fly back to UK

January 3rd 2001: She flies to UK (Good times)

Mid February 2001: Pregnancy test Positive

Mid February 2001: She flies back to US

March 2001: Miscarriage, I fly to US on first flight I can get

May 2001: I leave US before my 90 days are up

June 2001: I fly back to US, stopped at airport for questioning as I had only just left

September 2001: Pregnancy test Positive again

September 2001: She falls sick, I make decision to stay to look after her as I am afraid I may have problems getting back in.

April 16th 2002: Our son is born, we start getting stuff together for his passport

March 6th 2003: We leave US for UK as family

Early April 2003: Family troubles make her return to US, I ask Embassy in London about possibilities of returning to US

April 16th 2003: London Embassy informs me that I will be banned from the Visa Waiver Program for 10 years, my little boys first birthday

June 13th 2006: I-129f sent

August 11th 2006: NOA1 Recieved

After our relationship breaks down she admits to me that she had never bothered to start the application process

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline
18 hours ago, calberry said:

Since you didn't list your country of origin, I am guessing that the country does not qualify for ESTA? It is kind of easy to fill it out and you don't need to show up for an interview.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.