Difrntway

Meeting during k1 visa process

32 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Honduras
Timeline

So i am planning on filing the K1 visa in July for my fiance.   He is from Honduras.  We have met once already a few months ago but after filing the visa I plan to go see him again in September.  I guess i was wondering would it be alot better for our case if i waited to file til after our second trip together or will they see this second trip together once he has his interview and that it will hold similar weight?  I'd rather not wait 3 additional months to file but with the fact that K1 visas are getting denied alot I would also like us to have our best chance if we can.

Thanks for any help.

56 minutes ago, Difrntway said:

So i am planning on filing the K1 visa in July for my fiance.   He is from Honduras.  We have met once already a few months ago but after filing the visa I plan to go see him again in September.  I guess i was wondering would it be alot better for our case if i waited to file til after our second trip together or will they see this second trip together once he has his interview and that it will hold similar weight?  I'd rather not wait 3 additional months to file but with the fact that K1 visas are getting denied alot I would also like us to have our best chance if we can.

Thanks for any help.

The only requirement to file is proof that you two have physically met at least once.

By the time of the interview, the more times you met the better. The more time you spend together, the better.....

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
1 hour ago, Difrntway said:

Thanks for any help.

The petition isn't the problem 

YMMV

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Moved from Progress Reports to Process & Procedures.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Yes file now and meet him on september. We did that too with my fiance. After we met once, we filed k1 visa.. while k1 is still processing. He visited me for the 2nd time before christmas and on the day of my interview, he was with me too that was his 3rd time visting me. Then visa was APPROVED😊. just take pictures again and give him your boarding passes that you went there again that another evidence he can show on the day of his interview.Good luck😊

Edited by Jenkitkat

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline
On 5/29/2019 at 9:57 AM, USS_Voyager said:

The only requirement to file is proof that you two have physically met at least once.

By the time of the interview, the more times you met the better. The more time you spend together, the better.....

^^^^^^^^^^

THIS !!!

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

File now and mention in you cover letter (or other written statements if you do those for Honduras) that you are planning to visit in September.  Do you have plane tickets or hotel reservations already?  You can receipts/confirmation emails as proof.  When I filed, I had plans to visit 2 more times before the anticipated interview date and also attend the interview.  I mentioned these trips so the consulate was aware of it when we attended the interview.  They asked about one of the trips, so they did read that information.

Jason

Timeline
38 minutes ago, JasonGG said:

File now and mention in you cover letter (or other written statements if you do those for Honduras) that you are planning to visit in September.  Do you have plane tickets or hotel reservations already?  You can receipts/confirmation emails as proof.  When I filed, I had plans to visit 2 more times before the anticipated interview date and also attend the interview.  I mentioned these trips so the consulate was aware of it when we attended the interview.  They asked about one of the trips, so they did read that information.

Jason

So i hope to file for the K1 visa in a few weeks.  Sadly my fiance does not know the exact dates of his break from university yet as he hasnt started the quarter yet so i cant make any reservations for anything just yet.  Mostly i just wanted to know he would be able to show this proof at his interview and that it would carry weight.   You are also the second person that said i should be there for his interview.  I do know that his country will not let me physically even be in the embassy during his interview but does it carry weight that i am just there with him in the country??  Does that carry alot of weight as i would rather save money from traveling with him for our honeymoon when he is here?  But if it can make a big difference obviously its important that i am there.   Thank you for all your help.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
6 minutes ago, Difrntway said:

So i hope to file for the K1 visa in a few weeks.  Sadly my fiance does not know the exact dates of his break from university yet as he hasnt started the quarter yet so i cant make any reservations for anything just yet.  Mostly i just wanted to know he would be able to show this proof at his interview and that it would carry weight.   You are also the second person that said i should be there for his interview.  I do know that his country will not let me physically even be in the embassy during his interview but does it carry weight that i am just there with him in the country??  Does that carry alot of weight as i would rather save money from traveling with him for our honeymoon when he is here?  But if it can make a big difference obviously its important that i am there.   Thank you for all your help.

For situations where the USC is not allowed,  many people give the applicant there passport to take into the interview setting to show that they are indeed waiting outside.   Being there or not is a personal decision 

YMMV

Timeline
6 minutes ago, payxibka said:

For situations where the USC is not allowed,  many people give the applicant there passport to take into the interview setting to show that they are indeed waiting outside.   Being there or not is a personal decision 

Very good to know,  thank you for that.  I havent made the complete decision on if i will go on his interview day but i have always been thinking about it and knowing it could carry weight makes it a much better thing to do.  Thank you so very much!!   I'm desperate to get him here.  I know a ton about the process but i still dont have a good feel for things that carry alot of weight and things that dont really matter.  I'm afraid i will front load my petition so much they will need a fork truck to carry it around.  LOL . This whole process no matter how intelligent you are is very daunting.  We do have a large age difference and he is also very young so I'm definitely afraid that will complicate everything.  UGH

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Sorry, I didn't realize Honduras wouldn't let you attend the interview.   Some countries do and it can make a good impression on the consulate officer if the country is a difficult one.  In your case, if you do  visit at the time of the interview,  do what @payxibka suggested and send your fiance into the consulate with your passport. 

Even though you don't know exact dates, you can still mention you will be visiting again in September or just "Fall."  For Vietnam, I  think telling the consulate that there were visits between filing and the interview was important.  It can't hurt to tell them when applying and then have your fiance prepare to show receipts and photos at the interview. 

Jason

Edited by JasonGG

Timeline
1 minute ago, JasonGG said:

Sorry, I didn't realize Honduras wouldn't let you attend the interview.   Some countries do and it can make a good impression on the consulate officer if the country is a difficult one.

Even though you don't know exact dates, you can still mention you will be visiting again in September or just "Fall."  For Vietnam, I  think telling the consulate that there were visits between filing and the interview was important.  It can't hurt to tell them when applying and then have your fiance prepare to show receipts and photos at the interview. 

Jason

More great information.   Thank you so very much.  Booking flights might be very difficult but booking the hotel might be ok because I'm pretty sure that if they can they will let me move my plan around without charging me so i might at least be able to send a hotel booking when i file the fiance visa.  Again thank you so much,  i definitely find i need help with all the little details.

Timeline
18 minutes ago, JasonGG said:

Ours was 300 pages...some double-sided! 🙂

300 pages,  WOW!!  I dont know whether to try to compete to send more or to get more information on less pages.  LOL LOL LOL . Impressive!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
9 minutes ago, Difrntway said:

300 pages,  WOW!!  I dont know whether to try to compete to send more or to get more information on less pages.  LOL LOL LOL . Impressive!!

FWIW, someone here had a rule of thumb that if you what you're sending to USCIS at any stage in the K-1 process does not fit in a USPS priority mail letter envelope, you're almost certainly sending too much. Which I think is right.

K-1                             AOS                            
NOA1 Notice Date: 2018-05-31    NOA1 Notice Date: 2019-04-11   
NOA2 Date: 2018-11-16           Biometrics Date: 2019-05-10    
Arrived at NVC:  2018-12-03     EAD/AP In Hand: 2019-09-16     
Arrived in Moscow: 2018-12-28   GC Interview Date: 2019-09-25      
Interview date: 2019-02-14      GC In Hand: 2019-10-02
Visa issued: 2019-02-28
POE: 2019-03-11
Wedding: 2019-03-14

ROC                             Naturalization
NOA1 Notice Date: 2021-07-16    Applied Online: 2022-07-09 (biometrics waived)
Approval Date: 2022-04-06       Interview was Scheduled: 2023-01-06
10-year GC In Hand: 2022-04-14  Interview date: 2023-02-13 (passed)
                            	Oath: 2023-02-13

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.