moreadore

Six months, we hired a lawyer

47 posts in this topic

This week marks six whole months of administrative processing post successful interview with no 221g so we hired a lawyer last week. We're hoping for some good news as she was completely blown away by some of the things the embassy has said to us (like that the visa was issued in January), the fact that our case is so clean cut (no criminal records etc, no divorces, no previous filings) and nothing was ever requested after the fact and our case has never once been updated on the CEAC site. So, here's to hoping she gets some answers and results as two senators and my congressman have abandoned their support for our case. 😏

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

If congressman and all couldn't do anything... a lawyer will have even less ability hate to tell you. No one can make the embassy finish AP, that is strictly up to the embassy really. Even congressman can only "nudge" them but not force them to do anything. AP is open ended. While everyone goes through it, some are 2-3 days, 2-3 weeks, 2-3 months, even years... It can't be expedited or bypassed. Only a "writ a mandamus" can ultimately "force" the embassy to make a decision or wrap it up, but usually I've seen that leads to them denying the visa because they didn't finish their end of it.  While you have explained how clear cut your case is, and his background is spotless, clearly the embassy has something or is finding info or is having a hard time verifying info.

Again just saying a lawyer probably will, in absolutely no way, be able to get the embassy to do anything. They just want money.

Edited by Ben&Zian

08/15/2014 : Met Online

06/30/2016 : I-129F Packet Sent

11/08/2016 : Interview - APPROVED!

11/23/2016 : POE - Dallas, Texas

From sending of I-129F petiton to POE - 146 days.

02/03/2017 - Married 

02/24/2017 - AOS packet sent

06/01/2017 - EAD/AP Combo Card Received in mail

12/06/2017 - I-485 Approved

12/14/2017 - Green Card Received in mail - No Interview

brickleberry GIF they see me rolling college football GIF by ESPN  

So sorry to hear.  Curious as to why/what was said when the embassy stated the visa had been issued in January?

Just now, Jorgedig said:

So sorry to hear.  Curious as to why/what was said when the embassy stated the visa had been issued in January?

I (Us citizen) moved to a new house so we sent over an email providing the new intended address, you know, trying to be proactive and keep all of our ducks in a row.. They responded that we don't need to worry about it as the visa has been issued. Then they ignored every reply as the time went on asking why hasn't CEAC updated to issued or why havent' we received notice from courier. 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Wondering if it was some mix up on their part with case numbers.  That is definitely the oddest part of it all.

08/15/2014 : Met Online

06/30/2016 : I-129F Packet Sent

11/08/2016 : Interview - APPROVED!

11/23/2016 : POE - Dallas, Texas

From sending of I-129F petiton to POE - 146 days.

02/03/2017 - Married 

02/24/2017 - AOS packet sent

06/01/2017 - EAD/AP Combo Card Received in mail

12/06/2017 - I-485 Approved

12/14/2017 - Green Card Received in mail - No Interview

brickleberry GIF they see me rolling college football GIF by ESPN  

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

You might also lodge a request with the  ombudsman office. Takes 45 days for your request to get to the top of the pile but nothing to lose ... more than you’ve already lost .😥. Do they have the beneficiary’s passport? 

8 minutes ago, Ben&Zian said:

AP is open ended. While everyone goes through it, some are 2-3 days, 2-3 weeks, 2-3 months, even years... It can't be expedited or bypassed.

Thanks I know this info already, not my intention.

While you have explained how clear cut your case is, and his background is spotless, clearly the embassy has something or is finding info or is having a hard time verifying info.

Yeah, he doesn't have a middle name I know that makes it harder but wow it's not like his name is John Smith. I'm gonna trust my lawyer's judgement on this one though and wait for her to get back to me.

4 minutes ago, Lil bear said:

You might also lodge a request with the  ombudsman office. Takes 45 days for your request to get to the top of the pile but nothing to lose ... more than you’ve already lost .😥. Do they have the beneficiary’s passport? 

They kept it at the interview but we got it back last month after multiple ignored requests to confirm our case was not lost and to return it to him. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
Just now, moreadore said:

They kept it at the interview but we got it back last month after multiple ignored requests to confirm our case was not lost and to return it to him. 

😰.  Let’s know what happens 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

As mentioned above, lawyer cannot speed up AP...perhaps she'll put in the same inquiries that the previous senators and congressman has (and unfortunately probably get the same responses).

What does your lawyer say she can do, if anything, about this?  Is she planning on filing a WoM on your behalf at a later point?

Edited by Going through

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 14, 2017 (Day 00) -  Submitted N400 Application, filed online

July 21, 2017 (Day 07) -  NOA Receipt received in the mail

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 25, 2017 (Day 11) - Biometrics PDF posted online

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 08, 2017 (Day 24) - Biometrics (fingerprinting) completed

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Naturalization Interview--- read my experience here

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

Oct. 02, 2017 (Day 79) -  Oath Ceremony Letter received in the mail

Oct. 19, 2017 (Day 96) -  Oath Ceremony-- read my experience here

2 hours ago, moreadore said:

This week marks six whole months of administrative processing post successful interview with no 221g so we hired a lawyer last week. We're hoping for some good news as she was completely blown away by some of the things the embassy has said to us (like that the visa was issued in January), the fact that our case is so clean cut (no criminal records etc, no divorces, no previous filings) and nothing was ever requested after the fact and our case has never once been updated on the CEAC site. So, here's to hoping she gets some answers and results as two senators and my congressman have abandoned their support for our case. 😏

Omgggg we r in the same position and am just soo faustrated!! We don’t even know wat to do!😞😞

Edited by Ghanaishere

1 hour ago, Going through said:

As mentioned above, lawyer cannot speed up AP...perhaps she'll put in the same inquiries that the previous senators and congressman has (and unfortunately probably get the same responses).

What does your lawyer say she can do, if anything, about this?  Is she planning on filing a WoM on your behalf at a later point?

Well she explained to me that lawyers talk to embassy lawyers so it's a little bit different than what an elected official does and she plans on being a "thorn in their sides" until she has an adequate answer (that does not mean issued resolved visa in hand that means an explanation beyond the generic responses).

We briefly discussed a mandamus and at this point with it being 5-7k she said it wouldn't be the wisest choice as we would not be likely to recoup those fees as the wait time has not be egregious. 

1 hour ago, moreadore said:

Well she explained to me that lawyers talk to embassy lawyers

Really?? I have never heard that.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
5 minutes ago, Jorgedig said:

Really?? I have never heard that.

First I've ever  heard of lawyers talking to embassy lawyers, as well.  Lawyers have been known to say lots of things though when retaining clients.

Edited by Going through

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 14, 2017 (Day 00) -  Submitted N400 Application, filed online

July 21, 2017 (Day 07) -  NOA Receipt received in the mail

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 25, 2017 (Day 11) - Biometrics PDF posted online

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 08, 2017 (Day 24) - Biometrics (fingerprinting) completed

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Naturalization Interview--- read my experience here

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

Oct. 02, 2017 (Day 79) -  Oath Ceremony Letter received in the mail

Oct. 19, 2017 (Day 96) -  Oath Ceremony-- read my experience here

1 minute ago, Going through said:

First I've ever  heard of lawyers talking to embassy lawyers, as well.  Lawyers have been known to say lots of things though when retaining clients.

That is what I was thinking, too......

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.