Kürbis&Tannenbaum

Consulate Interview before all documents are ready?

14 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

Hello all,

We received packet 3 from our consulate (Frankfurt, Germany) and sent in all the documents we had. Turns out we still need tax transcript for proof of income (Form 4506-T) for both our 1040's and W2's. The consulate said we could still schedule an interview and simply bring the above documents with us to the interview. We then requested both documents from the IRS about a month ago, however, only our 1040 transcript came, and the W2 has not yet come (but should have).

Our interview is in 10 days - are we allowed to still go through with the interview and just send the W2 transcript after the interview when it is received? Our plan was to  bring a request for i-129f extension to the interview to show that we acknowledge that the W2 hasn't come yet, so that they don't deny the visa but issue a RFD instead. Not sure if this is allowed though!

Any help is appreciated!

Edited by Kürbis&Tannenbaum

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Panama
Timeline
4 minutes ago, Kürbis&Tannenbaum said:

Hello all,

We received packet 3 from our consulate (Frankfurt, Germany) and sent in all the documents we had. Turns out we still need tax transcript for proof of income (Form 4506-T) for both our 1040's and W2's. The consulate said we could still schedule an interview and simply bring the above documents with us to the interview. We then requested both documents from the IRS about a month ago, however, only our 1040 transcript came, and the W2 has not yet come (but should have). Our interview is in 10 days - are we allowed to still go through with the interview and just send the W2 transcript when it is received? Our plan was to  bring a request for i-129f extension to the interview to show that we acknowledge that the W2 hasn't come yet, so they don't deny our visa.

Any help is appreciated!

You should be able to print a tax transcript today (depending on when the return was filed).

Create an account at the link below and you'll be able to print the document.

Good Luck!

https://sa.www4.irs.gov/icce-core/load/gettrans/pages/availableTranscripts.xhtml

Edited by TandClaudia
Spoiler

K1

I-129F Sent: 3/1/19

CSC Received: 3/7/19

NOA1: 3/12/19

NOA2: 5/30/19 (No RFE

NVC Received: 6/21/19

Case Number Assigned: 6/22/19

NVC Left: 7/9/19

Consulate Received: 7/11/19

Interview: 8/15/19

POE 8/31/19

MARRIED! (L) 11/1/19

AOS Sent: 2/18/20

AOS Delivered: 2/20/20

Text Notifications of AOS Received: 2/27/20

AOS NOA1 Hardcopies: 3/2/20

Biometrics Notice: 3/5/20

Biometrics Appointment: 3/19/20 (Rescheduled due to Covid-19 to 3/31/20. Rescheduled again for 9/1/20)

EAD Approval 7/27/20

AP Approval 7/27/20

Timeline
6 minutes ago, TandClaudia said:

You should be able to print a tax transcript today (depending on when the return was filed).

Create an account at the link below and you'll be able to print the document.

Good Luck!

https://sa.www4.irs.gov/icce-core/load/gettrans/pages/availableTranscripts.xhtml

Hi, thanks for the reply. The online form requires another form of ID proof (such as phone bills), which I cannot provide. I had to use the automated phone line to get my 1040's, which then send the transcript via mail within 10 days. I received the 1040 transcript within this time. However, there is no option for a W2 transcript on the phone line, so I had to fill out form 4506-T and fax it to the IRS - this was a month ago and they still haven't mailed it yet, but it should have come within 10 days. Hence at this point I don't think we can really speed up the transcript process, so we wanted to ask if you would think the consulate would do a RFD post-interview, or if it is an auto-denial if we go to the interview without our W2 transcript in hand.

Edited by Kürbis&Tannenbaum

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
1 minute ago, Kürbis&Tannenbaum said:

Hi, thanks for the reply. The online form requires another form of ID proof (such as phone bills), which I cannot provide. I had to use the automated phone line to get my 1040's, which then send the transcript via mail within 10 days. I received the 1040 transcript within this time. However, there is no option for a W2 transcript on the phone line, so I had to fill out form 4506-T and fax it to the IRS - this was a month ago and they still haven't mailed it yet, but it should have come within 10 days. Hence at this point I don't think we can really speed up the transcript process, so we wanted to ask if you would think the consulate would do a RFD post-interview, or if it is an auto-denial if we could to the interview without our W2 transcript. 

Most often they issue a 221g for more evidence 

YMMV

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline

Seems you have some confusions. It’s usually either

i)tax return transcript (if the transcript you already received says “Tax Return Transcript”, that’s all you need. Don’t scratch your head for W2 transcript.

or

ii) copies of 1040 plus w2 and any other applicable schedules you sent to IRS (you probably have this in your possession)

Spouse:

2015-06-16: I-130 Sent

2015-08-17: I-130 approved

2015-09-23: NVC received file

2015-10-05: NVC assigned Case number, Invoice ID & Beneficiary ID

2016-06-30: DS-261 completed, AOS Fee Paid, WL received

2016-07-05: Received IV invoice, IV Fee Paid

2016-07-06: DS-260 Submitted

2016-07-07: AOS and IV Package mailed

2016-07-08: NVC Scan

2016-08-08: Case Complete

2017-06-30: Interview, approved

2017-07-04: Visa in hand

2017-08-01: Entry to US

Myself:

2016-05-10: N-400 Sent

2016-05-16: N-400 NOA1

2016-05-26: Biometrics

2017-01-30: Interview

2017-03-02: Oath Ceremony

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Panama
Timeline

There's another option for a tax return transcript.

Call the IRS directly.  Don't press the option for a transcript, because you will be taken to an automated system. 

Wait for an option to speak to a representative.

Thursdays and Fridays are usually a good day to call.

Explain to the representative that you need a copy of your tax return transcript.  Tell them that you have a fax number and you are standing next to the fax.  Ask them to fax the document to you.  Normally it arrives within a few minutes.

I have used this trick for myself and several of my clients.

Spoiler

K1

I-129F Sent: 3/1/19

CSC Received: 3/7/19

NOA1: 3/12/19

NOA2: 5/30/19 (No RFE

NVC Received: 6/21/19

Case Number Assigned: 6/22/19

NVC Left: 7/9/19

Consulate Received: 7/11/19

Interview: 8/15/19

POE 8/31/19

MARRIED! (L) 11/1/19

AOS Sent: 2/18/20

AOS Delivered: 2/20/20

Text Notifications of AOS Received: 2/27/20

AOS NOA1 Hardcopies: 3/2/20

Biometrics Notice: 3/5/20

Biometrics Appointment: 3/19/20 (Rescheduled due to Covid-19 to 3/31/20. Rescheduled again for 9/1/20)

EAD Approval 7/27/20

AP Approval 7/27/20

Timeline
4 minutes ago, arken said:

Seems you have some confusions. It’s usually either

i)tax return transcript (if the transcript you already received says “Tax Return Transcript”, that’s all you need. Don’t scratch your head for W2 transcript.

or

ii) copies of 1040 plus w2 and any other applicable schedules you sent to IRS (you probably have this in your possession)

This is interesting. We think that we need transcripts of both the 1040 and the W2s, as these documents were said to be missing in the email that we received from the consulate in Frankfurt, Germany:

(  ) Petitioner’s most recent IRS-generated transcript of the most recent U.S. Federal Income Tax Return (1040) and W2s. A person may obtain a free IRS-generated transcript by filing IRS Form 4506-T (Form IRS-4506-T)with IRS, Request for Transcript of Tax Return.

(  ) Joint sponsor’s most recent IRS-generated transcript of the most recent U.S. Federal Income Tax Return (1040) and W2s. A person may obtain a free IRS-generated transcript by filing IRS Form 4506-T (Form IRS-4506-T)with IRS, Request for Transcript of Tax Return.

We received this email after we submittet 1040s and W2s (normal ones; no transcripts) and the consulate did not accept them but requested transcripts. So, you think that a tax return transcript is already good to go even without a W2 transcript?

Thank you for your help!

Timeline
Just now, Kürbis&Tannenbaum said:

This is interesting. We think that we need transcripts of both the 1040 and the W2s, as these documents were said to be missing in the email that we received from the consulate in Frankfurt, Germany:

(  ) Petitioner’s most recent IRS-generated transcript of the most recent U.S. Federal Income Tax Return (1040) and W2s. A person may obtain a free IRS-generated transcript by filing IRS Form 4506-T (Form IRS-4506-T)with IRS, Request for Transcript of Tax Return.

(  ) Joint sponsor’s most recent IRS-generated transcript of the most recent U.S. Federal Income Tax Return (1040) and W2s. A person may obtain a free IRS-generated transcript by filing IRS Form 4506-T (Form IRS-4506-T)with IRS, Request for Transcript of Tax Return.

We received this email after we submittet 1040s and W2s (normal ones; no transcripts) and the consulate did not accept them but requested transcripts. So, you think that a tax return transcript is already good to go even without a W2 transcript?

Thank you for your help!

The return transcript includes W2 income 

YMMV

Timeline
4 minutes ago, payxibka said:

The return transcript includes W2 income 

Oh, so you think that we misinterpreted the email we received from the consulate and they were not requesting a transcript of 1040 AND a transcript of W2s, but they were simply asking for a transcript that includes both automatically? We checked the W2 option on the form 4506-T that we sent to the IRS, but we were thinking that we would get a separate document that contains a W2 transcript. 

If so, this would be a hilarously easy solution to our problem!

Timeline
1 minute ago, Kürbis&Tannenbaum said:

Oh, so you think that we misinterpreted the email we received from the consulate and they were not requesting a transcript of 1040 AND a transcript of W2s, but they were simply asking for a transcript that includes both automatically? We checked the W2 option on the form 4506-T that we sent to the IRS, but we were thinking that we would get a separate document that contains a W2 transcript. 

If so, this would be a hilarously easy solution to our problem!

Start laughing 

YMMV

3 hours ago, Kürbis&Tannenbaum said:

Hi, thanks for the reply. The online form requires another form of ID proof (such as phone bills), which I cannot provide. I had to use the automated phone line to get my 1040's, which then send the transcript via mail within 10 days. I received the 1040 transcript within this time. However, there is no option for a W2 transcript on the phone line, so I had to fill out form 4506-T and fax it to the IRS - this was a month ago and they still haven't mailed it yet, but it should have come within 10 days. Hence at this point I don't think we can really speed up the transcript process, so we wanted to ask if you would think the consulate would do a RFD post-interview, or if it is an auto-denial if we go to the interview without our W2 transcript in hand.

I requested transcripts and received them in 8 days as the online thing didn't work for me either. The transcripts should have all the information required including 1040 and W-2 information.

Not a newbie but lost my old info years ago) I have been through this process before --all the way through naturalization-- This site has always been a great help to me. 

13 hours ago, Letspaintcookies said:

Why don't you ask your employer for the W2's? That's usually where you get them first hand.

Exactly.  Your posts make is seem as though you think the IRS is sending you W2s?  They don't do that.

Timeline
3 hours ago, Jorgedig said:

Exactly.  Your posts make is seem as though you think the IRS is sending you W2s?  They don't do that.

We already have the W2s from the employer. What we were thinking is that the IRS would provide a separate transcript for W2s. However, it seems as if this transcript is already included when you request form 4506-T. It was not clear for us from the email we received from the consulate. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.